Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

No good deed goes unpunished!!!!

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  NotTooProudToHide 
#1 ·
So yesterday the wife answers the door. A guy asks for me. I go to the door and the guy says angrily, "Why did you call the police on my mother????"

Now the back story. About 2 weeks ago while on my daily walk around my neighborhood, I see an elderly lady in a power scooter. She's just sitting there, just off the front porch of a house. I say hello but get no response, but she looks at me for a second. I say is everything OK, no response. So I continue on my walk. Within a couple of minutes my retired paramedic brain finally kicks in. While she didn't appear to be in any distress, I wondered if her scooters battery crapped out and she couldn't get into the house, or was she locked out, and so on. My usual path brought me near her again while I was about 1.5 blocks from home and she's still alone, sitting there. Dumb me forgot my cell phone, so I get home, call the police and explain the situation and ask for a wellness check. Next day I see her out there again in the same place, no one else around, but since I had seen the police car when I called, I ignored the situation.

Back to the guy at the front door: I start to explain that I call the PD for a wellness check but he cuts me off before I can get more than a few words out. The guy is shaking his finger in my face and I back away and he follows. He says, "You saw me there with my mother!" I reply no, I never saw you. I see his hands clenching and I retreat into the house and start to push the door closed and he pushes it open without entering, says something about wanting the cable guy, sitting on the floor installing new cable system to hear what I'm saying. I tell him to back away and that I am calling the police. "Good call the police, I'm calling them too," and he backs away and goes to his parked car.

Before the police show up and while the cable guy is outside at his truck, he tells the cable guy to tell me, that he's going for coffee and will be back. So now I'm wandering if his is going for a firearm or who knows what. Both my wife, who is now scared $hitless and I get our pistols and tuck them away so as not to freak out cable guy.

So police show up and he bends the poor cop's ear for about 30+ minutes, with lots of very exaggerated hand gestures pointing to my house. Finally he drives off.

So the officer comes my door. I explain what happened and he is aware of the wellness call. He spent 30ish minutes talking the guy down. Apparently the guy who is single and takes care of his mother felt that by my calling the cops I was saying he was doing such a crappy job of caring for her that a wellness check and "investigation" was warranted and took great offense at what I did. The officer finally managed to convince him I was just being a concerned citizen, etc., etc. On the officer's way out of my house, even the cable guy told the officer the guy was nuts.

The officer doesn't believe anything more will come of it. I hope so, but I guess it's time to carry, too. This has taught me a very valuable lesson about controlling my front door. With the cable guy there, going in and out every few minutes this was an unusual situation but no matter what, in the future, start right then, the HD, burglar resistant screen door will be locked until my wife or I know what's going on. I don't believe a peep hole would work because of the HD screen door. Guess I should consider myself lucky this wasn't a violent confrontation because there is no way in hell I could have done anything to protect myself with my back surgery.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You never know which way a situation will turn when getting involved, ,quite a few years ago a friend of mine and I were riding motorcycles, we came upon a car parked on the shoulder, a male and female were out of the car, he was beating the crap out of her, we stopped to intervene, another woman gets out of the car and yelled at us to mind our own business, the male quit beating on the other female, they then got in the car and drove away, this all happened in a span of a few minutes, we took the license no. Of the car and went to the sheriffs department, no cell phones yet, gave the license no., they knew right away who it was, and told us it was wise not to get involved, they would have turned on us, the police have dealt with them before. Paraquack,in my opinion,you did the right thing, be aware and safe and God bless you.

#5 ·
You are way easier going than I. Come to my door liker that better call 911 for medical help. He would not have gotten the chance to make a move at the door.

Reactions: Slippy
#9 ·
WOOOOOOO - don't take that lightly - you got a real excitable crack-pot in your face .... the simple fact that he somehow tracked you down and confronted you - bad juju ....

find a new walking route - don't do anything to inflame the situation ....

if you gave your name to the coppers for that report - LESSON LEARNED - DON'T ....

#10 ·
Devils Advocate: He is by himself with his mommy. She probably takes all his time and he has no social life. He probably still hears her (In His Head)tell him he is worthless. He is afraid his meal ticket is going to go away. Next time you go by there, check his car for Obama or Hillary stickers.

#11 ·
Since we moved down by you, I pretty much always carry pistol. I may not wear it on belt when I am inside the house, but I pretty much always have a pistol within a few feet of where I am. If Mrs Inor and I are out and about, one or both of us is ALWAYS armed. There are a few places in Tombstone that have the "No Guns Allowed" signs and we just do not go to those places. We have found 99% of the folks living there are really really nice. But the 1% that are not are crazy as hell.

Reactions: Slippy
#14 ·
I always, always, answer the door with a gun on my person. When doors are closed and locked there is always a gun within reach if not on my person. I live in Houston and know better then to swing the door open for anyone. Glad it turned out OK but it makes you wonder about being a good neighbor.

#16 ·
I usually learn from mistakes. I have already found a new route to walk. My wife's fu fu dog would have liked his hand. Firearms are close by but.. When he asked to talk to me, my wife says he was very mild and easy going, like most nutcases. AS I said, the doors were in an unusual configuration due to the service tech walking in and out for the past 20 minutes. With influx of muslims and therefore the influx of jihadists, we carry concealed (No permit in AZ, thank God), well the wife does all the time, me half the time. Because he never actually came inside, except for 6-8 inches of his arm, I went with the phone. Since this incident my wife and I have talked about what to do and rehearsed a few scenarios with empty firearms.

#17 ·
Be well @paraquack and know you did the right thing.

But...call a couple buddies, in my case it will be Scottie 2 Card and Biggie Willie. Then find the little bastard when he's outside smoking late at night. Throw a pillow case over his head and a couple of bungie cords around his arms then throw his chicken little ass in the back of the van that Scottie 2 Card has for sitiations like this.

Drive the douchebag to Biggies hunting camp and have some fun with pliers, car batteries, jumper cables and let the two mutant ******** who watch over the camp but don't date much have some fun with douchebag mama's boy.

Thanks!

#19 ·
You did the correct thing and handled yourself very well when confronted. My concern is, how did the guy find out that you called in the welfare check? That is info that police are not suppose to give out. I have called in many welfare checks and they have always been anonymous.

#23 ·
Paraquack, Glad to hear you are still alive. There are a lot of crazy people out there. You did the right thing by calling for a wellness check like you did. There is a lot of elder abuse out there. If this guy wasn't guilty why would he go off like that? I guess you learned a good lesson about opening the door like you did. I have done the same thing myself. Fortunately I have never had an experience like you have had. Its only natural to open the door and talk to people. I am glad you shared your experience with us. It will make me think twice when someone comes to the door that I don't know. The idea of having a dog is probably a good idea in situations like that. A dog would have picked up on his vibes before he even got in the door. When I was a kid I used to be a paperboy and got bit by dogs a time or 2. If I was to confront someone and I heard a dog barking or growling I would think twice about my plan. Be careful man.:vs_peace:

#24 ·
Im armed from the time I get out of bed until I lay back down but I would have done the same thing I did to the last guy who poked at me with his finger... I grabbed it and bent it backwards until the whiny bastard apologized, then I let him leave.

Keep an eye out though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.