A question of ethics
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A question of ethics

This is a discussion on A question of ethics within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hypothetical situation. The SHTF event has happened. You're forced to bug out on foot. While out there, you are assaulted by an armed man but ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: A question of ethics

A question of ethics

Hypothetical situation. The SHTF event has happened. You're forced to bug out on foot.
    While out there, you are assaulted by an armed man but you are able to defeat him
    without killing him.
    1) Do you take whatever he has for supplies, firearm, knife, water, etc.?
    2) What about taking his supplies if you are forced to kill him?
    3) Do you leave him be and immediately leave the area as fast as possible to avoid being
    confronted by others like him?

New Hypothetical situation. You are bugged in or you are at your BOL. A young woman
    comes to the door with a small child and begs for food and water, shelter or other help.
    4) Do you help her and send her on her way?
    5) Do you take her in?
    6) Do you drive her off your property?
    If you take her in, do you trust her? She could be a spy for a group of bad guys.
    7) If you share food and water, are you prepared for her to return when she get hungry again?
    8) Are you prepared for her to return with others needing food and water?
    9) Do you try to remain invisible to prevent strangers from coming to your door?
    10) How would you react to an armed man (but not acting aggressive) coming to your door
    to try and barter for supplies?
    11) How do you react if he is a neighbor up the road who wants to give you a 2-way radio so you
    can help protect each other?
    12) Or maybe start a mutual assistance group?

If you are prepared to barter with someone.
    13) When and for how long would you accept a precious metal?
    14) Would you only accept materials you need or you could barter in return?
    Last edited by paraquack; 02-14-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    RedLion likes this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

Situation #1 Whether alive or dead, I would not take his stuff because I have had the foresight to have my own stuff. And yes, I would leave the area post haste.

Situation #2. I probably wouldn't know WHO was at my door, because it would be barricaded and I wouldn't answer. If whoever it was broke in, then child or no child, they would be sorry they did.

In a SHTF situation, if an armed man approached my home, he would disarm or be burned down. I would expect no less were the situation reversed.

Bartering or a mutual assistance agreement may be a possibility if the initial die off was over.

Precious metals do not enter the picture. They are for carrying one's wealth through the emergency, not bartering during it.
    rstanek and Maol9 like this.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

In the first scenario I would be armed and would shoot the assailant. Second scenario I would not help the woman and child and would go the extra length to avoid contact at all.
    Egyas and Maol9 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm not a bug out guy, but in that situation, which is a SHTF, then any attacker would be dead & his possessions mine. And yes, I'd get the hell out of Dodge.

My plans are for most families on our rural lane to band together, for the common good. Not planning on adding new members but would think that would be evaluated on multiple factors, such as time of year (are we growing food or living off stores), the visitor's skill set, is she local, etc. I'm too old to consider how cute she might be. One reason for having the group of neighbors is for self protection & security. Hopefully the security element would stop "visitors" before they got to the farms further down our dead end lane. Staying hidden, especially during the early stages of a crisis, will be extremely important and part of the plan.

Only thing I would barter for would be things to help us get thru the SHTF, and that does not include money or precious metals. Might would barter for items like farm animals.
    OrneryOldBat and TG like this.

scenario #1 - he's dead for sure - when you cut a snake's head off you make sure to bury it - it can still kill you ... it's definitely a survival of the fittest situation - you don't do stupid stuff like passing up opportunities ....

scenario #2 - you don't answer the door - period

scenario #3 - almost an impossibility that even the very worse SHTF goes to a society forever TEOTWAWKI - precious metals will recover their value ... if you have your side of the fabulous deal - you need to continue to prep - prep for the future recovery ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-14-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    I llini Warrior

In my situation, similar to others, we are on a dead end lane. The idea is to block the lane at the bridge. If someone makes it to a door, a more serious problem has occurred.
    Redneck and Maol9 like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

Talk to him, is he a guard for a group who's area I am walking into. I might want to move around them or perhaps make contact and see about joining them . But I would not be in a rush to kill unless he appeared to be a murderous attacker who had done this to others. If it seemed normal for him to hunt others moving thru the area I would want to put him down . If he thought I was a threat to his group turn him back to his group and move on if possible. He may have been easy to defeat his group may not be and they could be really pissed off at what happens to him.

The young woman and child - I am inclined to try and help . However how many others have already been by, how long after the event is this, are their roving gangs/groups in the area , have they used this ruse before. What was the event , Is the population greatly reduced, was it just part of the country or a large part of the world , how long do I think it will be for normal returns.

Surviving is great but why survive if we loose all of our society norms.

If we going to toss all norms/ ethics out the door then kill them all and take everything they have.
    Redneck and OrneryOldBat like this.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

In a bug out situation, if he's dead, I'll take what I need. Maybe cache the rest. If he's alive, why would I give him the means to follow and exact revenge? That's not bravado talking, that's reality.
    Joe and TG like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    Talk to him, is he a guard for a group who's area I am walking into. I might want to move around them or perhaps make contact and see about joining them . But I would not be in a rush to kill unless he appeared to be a murderous attacker who had done this to others. If it seemed normal for him to hunt others moving thru the area I would want to put him down . If he thought I was a threat to his group turn him back to his group and move on if possible. He may have been easy to defeat his group may not be and they could be really pissed off at what happens to him.

The young woman and child - I am inclined to try and help . However how many others have already been by, how long after the event is this, are their roving gangs/groups in the area , have they used this ruse before. What was the event , Is the population greatly reduced, was it just part of the country or a large part of the world , how long do I think it will be for normal returns.

Surviving is great but why survive if we loose all of our society norms.

If we going to toss all norms/ ethics out the door then kill them all and take everything they have.

sorry - but society will re-set from a serious SHTF .... no WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY in hell am I assisting in keeping some of the current "society norms" ... they not only didn't prep - but tried to stop me from preparing and ridiculed the entire endeavor ....

some will die - others will live .... God's going to be doing some sorting ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-14-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Slippy likes this.
    I llini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    sorry - but society will re-set from a serious SHTF .... no WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY in hell am I assisting in keeping some of the current "society norms" ... they not only didn't prep - but tried to stop me from preparing and ridiculed the entire endeavor ....
    I think the "norms" mentioned might be some long establish ones like found in the Bible. I refuse to become some wild animal.
    TG, RJAMES and Maol9 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links