A question of ethics - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A question of ethics

This is a discussion on A question of ethics within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; #1. Defending yourself is NOT a halfway endeavor. If you are being assaulted in a survival-oriented environment, in all likelihood your assailant intends to take ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: A question of ethics

#1. Defending yourself is NOT a halfway endeavor. If you are being assaulted in a survival-oriented environment, in all likelihood your assailant intends to take your stuff, which could very well mean your eventual death due to starvation or exposure. My defense response would be as immediately lethal as I would be capable of. I would take whatever would directly contribute to my survival. Not killing him for his possessions (an immoral action), but not wasting resources that result from the confrontation (his misdeed). I have no intention of bugging out, but best laid plans…

#2. My wife and I prepare for ourselves and others… more so in the area of food and water than anything else. We currently work with local food banks and homeless shelters. Anticipating a tremendous up-tick in the numbers of needy, we have prepared to put together small one-person/one-meal packets to handout as needed, while directing such people to seek organized and established relief efforts. This gives them food to continue on without exposing or impacting our personal stores… which will be aggressively defended.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Situation #1

Kill the SOB, Behead him and cut off and stuff his genitals in his mouth and leave a note that says "Slippy Wuz Here!"

Situaiton #2

To be determined...

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Hypothetical situation. The SHTF event has happened. You're forced to bug out on foot.
    While out there, you are assaulted by an armed man but you are able to defeat him
    without killing him.
    1) Do you take whatever he has for supplies, firearm, knife, water, etc.?
    2) What about taking his supplies if you are forced to kill him?
    3) Do you leave him be and immediately leave the area as fast as possible to avoid being
    confronted by others like him?

New Hypothetical situation. You are bugged in or you are at your BOL. A young woman
    comes to the door with a small child and begs for food and water, shelter or other help.
    4) Do you help her and send her on her way?
    5) Do you take her in?
    6) Do you drive her off your property?
    If you take her in, do you trust her? She could be a spy for a group of bad guys.
    7) If you share food and water, are you prepared for her to return when she get hungry again?
    8) Are you prepared for her to return with others needing food and water?
    9) Do you try to remain invisible to prevent strangers from coming to your door?
    10) How would you react to an armed man (but not acting aggressive) coming to your door
    to try and barter for supplies?
    11) How do you react if he is a neighbor up the road who wants to give you a 2-way radio so you
    can help protect each other?
    12) Or maybe start a mutual assistance group?

If you are prepared to barter with someone.
    13) When and for how long would you accept a precious metal?
    14) Would you only accept materials you need or you could barter in return?
    Redneck likes this.

retracted out of respect to a great member of this forum. Mr Slippy.
    Last edited by John Galt; 02-15-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    Redneck and Slippy like this.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

All this face-to-face negotiation with women and children for food or barter seems extremely risky to me in a SHTF world. Think like a criminal. If I were going to rob someone's retreat, I'd send in the decoy woman, then wait for the homeowner to show himself to my scoped rifle. Bang, flop, loot.

You won't see me out in the open in daylight during a SHTF.
    SGG likes this.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    You won't see me out in the open in daylight during a SHTF.
    Guess that depends on where you live, your plans to survive and the duration of the event. I plan to be in a group, so we will have security out before you get to the farms at the end of our lane. And if the crisis is extended or has the possibility of becoming extended, becoming self reliant is critical, meaning working during the daylight out in the gardens, hunting/fishing & working with farm animals.
    sideKahr likes this.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Guess that depends on where you live, your plans to survive and the duration of the event. I plan to be in a group, so we will have security out before you get to the farms at the end of our lane. And if the crisis is extended or has the possibility of becoming extended, becoming self reliant is critical, meaning working during the daylight out in the gardens, hunting/fishing & working with farm animals.
    I worry that if there is a real crisis, all small farms/properties with a bit of land will be overwhelmed with crowds from larger towns/cities, searching for food.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    I worry that if there is a real crisis, all small farms/properties with a bit of land will be overwhelmed with crowds from larger towns/cities, searching for food.
    It is most certainly a concern of mine too. Luck may play a part in if you get overrun but largely I think it will have most to do with location. How far out are you from the population centers? Is the property on a normal evacuation route? IMO, city folks will not try to head for the open countryside but will first head to the suburbs and from there, outlying towns, looking for help. I feel these suburbs & outlying towns will feel the need to protect themselves from the rush of evacuees, so I am fairly confident they will set up roadblocks... just as Gretna did to the folks fleeing New Orleans after the hurricane.

I have balanced being close enough to a city/town but being far enough to not getting overrun during a crisis. Would be better being further out during a crisis but I still have to work. So to get to my rural lane, evacuees would pass thru several suburbs and a few other towns, then they would have to head out into the country, on a road headed to no other big towns. Our lane is a dead end, narrow road that should be defensible & does not scream there are farms & other homes further down. So in picking property, it is a matter of compromise for most & you do the best you can.
    TG likes this.

Kill him and take his stuff. Sounds harsh, but if he is alive he can pursue me, or tell others how to pursue me, which puts me and my group in peril. I take his stuff because it will go to waste if I don't. No sense in wasting stuff when it is scarce to begin with.

Second scenario depends deeply on the surrounding circumstances. How SHTF is this? Because if the woman has a child, the merciful thing to do might be to kill them both, or kill the mother and raise the child myself (I can provide and she cannot, so why punish the child) Am I in an area where there have been many people traveling in the area? Do I have contact with neighbors at all? Have they reported problems? If the woman and child are truly alone, I may hear their story and decide based on what I see and hear. I may react differently if I know of issues in the area, or recently lost contact with a neighbor. If they return for seconds, I'll kill them all, unless I have reason to begin a colony, but I would let her know before she left that if she returned I would kill her and everyone she was with. If I kill them, yes, I take their stuff.

I would deal with an armed man the same as I deal with any other person. With civil skepticism, and a dash of cynicism. Whether or not I barter them is a function of what they offer, and what I need, as well as being based on the possibility of return business.

I'll take anything someone wants to give me, provided it isn't trouble. Whether or not I answer that radio depends on many things.

Mutual assistance group is fine, as long as it remains mutual. The second I get taken advantage of, it ends.

What I accept in barter depends on what I need first, followed by what I can barter later. If I am doing well, I may accept trade goods. If I need something I may only accept that thing, or goods I can immediately exchange for that thing.
    Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links