A question of ethics - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A question of ethics

This is a discussion on A question of ethics within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; First I wouldn't BO so I wouldn't be in a vulnerable situation. Besides you shouldn't allow others with in range to attack you. Your tactics ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: A question of ethics

First I wouldn't BO so I wouldn't be in a vulnerable situation. Besides you shouldn't allow others with in range to attack you. Your tactics need to be evaluated.

1. Bang Flop, He won't need his supplies anymore so why let them go to waste? Yes I would leave immediately. Why wait for his buddies to arrive?? Why let him go to continue attacking others??

2. I would suspect a spy for a larger group doing recon for a raid. She had better leave quickly or Bang Flop.

3. Armed man at my door. Guess?

4. Shiny objects won't be traded for precious supplies from strangers. Yes I would barter but within my local area. Strangers see number 2.
    A Watchman and Maol9 like this.

Joe

1st situation I would have to take away this guy's means to assault me or someone else. After all he started the fight. I would leave him with his H2O and food but that would be about it. I know it does not sound Christian yet you can't go soft in a lawless society. Number 2 Don't answer the door. number 3 I don't think i would barter for metals. I would definitely barter for things I could use. I have given thought already to what I have and things i would barter them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I think the "norms" mentioned might be some long establish ones like found in the Bible. I refuse to become some wild animal.

that's your take - go ask the survivor you helped - ask the atheist gay liberal what her/his or it's "norms" happen to be .... got an idea they think the Bible makes for damn good rolling papers ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-14-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    I llini Warrior

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    Scenario the first; I'd want to avoid a fight as much as possible but if it comes down to me or them, they don't win. It depends on what they have and what I have and may or may not need. It would also depend on how much weight I'm already carrying. Storing any unused supplies sounds like a good idea to me.

Scenario the second; Come SHTF 24 hour guard goes into place so the mother and child will hopefully be seen well off where they can be searched and interviewed. I might consider giving them a guide to how to get their own resources and maybe depending on their state supplies. I can't say I would do one thing in all situations because if there's anything life has taught me thus far it's that there's no one right answer for every question or situation.

Scenario the third; Post SHTF it would depend on what I need, what people are offering and how much silver or gold I'm willing to let go of. My gut at this point says I'd probably want to hold onto it though.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    got an idea they think the Bible makes for damn good rolling papers ....
    It is not about what they think... it is about what I believe. Normally, I'd shy away from such a discussion, but this thread is about ethics. Those of us that believe, don't have the option of turning it on & off. That is one reason my prepping style is to store & be prepared to provide for others. Granted, I can't take care of everyone but I'll never issue a blanket statement that I'll never help anyone, anytime.
    Last edited by Redneck; 02-14-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    TG and RJAMES like this.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    It is not about what they think... it is about what I believe. Normally, I'd shy away from such a discussion, but this thread is about ethics. Those of us that believe, don't have the option of turning it on & off. That is one reason my my prepping style is to store & be prepared to provide for others. Granted, I can't take care of everyone but I'll never issue a blanket statement that I'll never help anyone, anytime.
    I love your responses here.

I was around 12 when we experienced a pretty terrifying SHTF of communism crashing and all stores and markets were closed, empty or had armed guards blocking them, women trying to trade their gold jewelry to feed their children and some young men going crazy and looting. Everyone who could, helped one another, people were looking after seniors who had no one and hungry kids were not turned away. It were very hard times and despite communism suppressing most religion, people remembered their Christian faith and acted accordingly. I'm thankful for this experience.
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

@TG Your actually living through a SHTF event is so valuable here. Please share with us everything you feel comfortable with, any time you wish.
    John Galt likes this.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

So very hard to answer these valued questions.

I would imagine I'm already carrying all that I can carry so I can't imagine taking the assailants stuff. However I might be inclined to punish him by destroying his weapons so they can't be used against me in the future. I may also demand to see him leave in a direction that I'm not heading in and wait for him to be out of site before moving on.

The young lady and child. At different stages and different kinds of crisis I would help her especially if it was early on in a crisis. If it were later in the crisis or the crisis had no end in site I'd likely tell her there is nothing I can do for her and to move on. I learned in reading One Second After the town fenced off the highway so the masses would pass through and not stop in the city; they screened people and tried to take in some that might help them, but made the balance pass through. They also quarantined those accepted in first because disease with the number 1 killer. I would be very uneasy about offering someone help after a prolonged crisis - due to disease and the potential for them to bring it upon me and my wife.
    sideKahr and Redneck like this.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    @TG Your actually living through a SHTF event is so valuable here. Please share with us everything you feel comfortable with, any time you wish.
    Thanks, I share stuff when it's appropriate. The OP questions are impossible to truthfully answer if you have never had an actual prolonged SHTF experience, it's all imagination.
    stowlin, sideKahr, RJAMES and 3 others like this.

I am glad there are good people, no matter the religious affiliation. But this reminds me of a man I knew who was a chaplain in Korea during that little field exercise.
    His moral code was this: I was a conscientious objector and refused to carry a weapon, but I made damned sure my driver wasn't!

While there is a place for ethics and morals, those same ethics sometimes need a safeguard.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links