Does anyone else store info in digital format?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Does anyone else store info in digital format? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; While I have a lot of prepper info, how to's, etc. printed and in ring binders, I find there is no way I want to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Does anyone else store info in digital format?

While I have a lot of prepper info, how to's, etc. printed and in ring binders, I find there
    is no way I want to spend the money to print and store all the info I have accumulated
    over the last 12 years. Plus I will have a hard time transporting all the printed material.
    When I bought my wife a brand new tablet, I took her old one, (2 years old) charged
    the battery fully, triple wrapped it in plastic/aluminum foil layers as recommended by
    Jerry Emanuelson (well known author on EMPs) and then stored it in a garbage can set
    up as a Faraday cage. All my info is on 8 gig micro SD cards for the tablet. They are
    also triple wrapped and stored in the Faraday cage. Obviously I am at some risk, but...
    I opted for the conductive adhesive copper tape to seal the can and all the seams and
    holes even tho aluminum is said by some to be just as good.

So anyone else do the same?
    dwight55, stowlin, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

I'm in the same boat. Printing everything out is simply not an option. Especially for a bug-out situation. Some stuff is printed out, but most is copied across multiple locations and multiple mediums.
    paraquack likes this.
    I went to a gun show and all I got was a lousy loophole. Hidden Content

Feel free to visit my Hidden Content Page.

I don't. I have mostly books, some things are printed out. The hurdles of protecting computers, and keeping them charged up longterm in a post EMP environment are overwhelming to me. I'll consider it a success if I can keep some flashlights and a shortwave going. I have vital data on multiple thumb drives, some with relatives, for any "normal" emergency. I know, that's not a bullet proof system.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 02-11-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    paraquack likes this.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

only thing I can add is that being able to print the electronic info post strike would be invaluable - there's preppers seeing that as their bargaining chip and community building asset ....

great read on the conscience behind the repository concept is by The Librarian of the Survival Library .... http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1645
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    paraquack likes this.
    I llini Warrior

Most of my data is digital.

I have a cloud storage and then two large USB drives. One is I hope emp proof based on the things I read.
    azrancher and paraquack like this.

I have digital copy and a printed copy of everything saved from my comp, cell phone , medical records , ect.
    paraquack likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Have a lot of usefully stuff on DVD and will have a few laptops stored away just incase . We can make enough power to run them if we need to. Not betting our life on them.
    paraquack likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    I have a cloud storage and then two large USB drives. One is I hope emp proof based on the things I read.
    Well the cloud storage will vaporize unless it's just a hurricane or tornado event.

Rancher
    stowlin, Smitty901 and paraquack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    Well the cloud storage will vaporize unless it's just a hurricane or tornado event.

Rancher
    Not sold on the cloud thing. SHTF or not. Just not a direction I am going.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I don't. I have mostly books, some things are printed out. The hurdles of protecting computers, and keeping them charged up longterm in a post EMP environment are overwhelming to me. I'll consider it a success if I can keep some flashlights and a shortwave going. I have vital data on multiple thumb drives, some with relatives, for any "normal" emergency. I know, that's not a bullet proof system.
    Don't get overwhelmed. Like paraquack mentioned get something simple like a tablet with a low power consumption, their battery last a week or two. You can charge the battery using a small solar panel. I have two Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panels that charge using USB. They also use the Guide 10 AA and AAA battery charger. If I could do it over again I would get a more powerful solar panel. The Nomad 7 is only 7 watts and that is on the weaker side.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links