A Computer in Next Two Months
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on A Computer in Next Two Months within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Mr. stowlin often wastes way to much time on important purchases. It's my sickness. Sometimes I think it would just be wise to spend the ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By stowlin
  • 1 Post By sideKahr
  • 2 Post By bigwheel
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 2 Post By Slippy
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42

Thread: A Computer in Next Two Months

Mr. stowlin often wastes way to much time on important purchases. It's my sickness. Sometimes I think it would just be wise to spend the money and be done, accept what I have gotten and move on with out rumination over dozens of options, reviews and of course sales.

All of my devices are dated. The last time I bought anything resembling a computer that wasn't a phone was 2013 and I'm typing on that ipad right now. My desk top must go it takes up way to much space. Fact is it's not even plugged in since moving and is in storage. It was bought in 07 and I'll cleanse it and give it to the church before I go. I need a space saving computer. The only two things I do ar search the web, and write. That is all my livelihood requires. I'm not s gamer, look at very few videos and my wife likes music or I wouldn't care about that.

So I'm looking to get a decent computer to search the web, and write on over the next three to five years that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but I'd super reliable, great and wifi, and has a full size key board but is small enough for the boat desk.

Thoughts?
    Slippy likes this.

Sounds like you need a laptop. Good keyboard, wifi capable, small and portable. My Vaio has served for many years, and even if it dies, it wasn't that expensive.
    stowlin likes this.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

You need to get in touch with my Hindu pal. He has kept me up to date on compooters for the past 30 years or so. He will do mail order. Ask for Paul. Tell him Uncle bigwheel sent you. His son is a federal prosecutor so dont get cute.
    https://www.searchonamerica.com/plac...s_5921139.html
    Slippy and A Watchman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Even a lot of your desk tops have gotten a lot smaller again. I am in the market myself. This one is old I assembled it. Was XP went to 7 then 8.1 took it back to 7.
    I do not like Windows 10 but looks like it is getting to be time. The hardware does wear out . Retired now I don't have work requirements to deal with and a bit more flexible on software I can run.
    What I would like is a small desktop as tough as that 10 inch Acer I carry on the bike. That thing has a lot of miles on it sill prefect.
    bigwheel and stowlin like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Mrs Slippy bought me a cheap Lenovo IdeaPad 100S. It is light weight, has a full sized keyboard. very long battery life and is speedy for what I do. I think it cost us less than $250.
    Last edited by Slippy; 02-11-2017 at 03:10 PM.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop, that is about 3 years old. It has a 13 inch screen. It is light weight, very portable and functions as a tablet or lap top. It ain't cheap if bought new, app $800.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I destroy at least one computer a year.

I was buying laptops for around $1,500 each time, smashed two in one year.

Today I buy used laptops and Small framed desk top's from a place called Discount Electronics out of Texas.

The one I am on came from them, was $120.00 plus shipping. It is an HP.

They are big into Dell's.

Comes with a one year warranty on it. They also have desktops.

Depending on processor and other, they come with windows 7, 8 or 10 installed,

This one is running 7.

On both styles you can get great prices and lots of selection, bought two from them last year.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 02-11-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Attachment 39113

Dell's are good for some range time...
    A Watchman and Michael_Js like this.

Not selling ACER but there small 10 inch ones are amazing. I often used my bike traveling for work. At least I got ridding time in. Big laptops took up to much room. So I left company one behind and packed the little acre. The high end company ones did not hold up well on the bike over time. My last Acer had over 200,000 miles on it. It even still worked after a crash. But was a little beat up. The replacement is going strong just like the last one. And a lot more flexible than a Smart phone or tablet.
    Of course a bit small if you don't need compact.
    What I never liked about Dell and HP is they come with so much crap loaded on them . Our company ones did not they would order them with all the junk not installed. I backed up every thing on this one this week. So may run it until it dies.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 02-11-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Slippy, I hope that was you at 50 yards with a handgun!

I have an old dell laptop here that refuses to recognise the charger and refuses to charge.

I have done 8 or 10 like yours, OO buck works great at 25 feet on the HD inside.

I usually take the plasma cutter to the drive, no recovery there.
    A Watchman likes this.

Sponsored Links