Laminating Maps
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Laminating Maps

This is a discussion on Laminating Maps within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; You have probably read that you should have topographical maps for your home area and for your bug out location area if you have one. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Laminating Maps

Laminating Maps

You have probably read that you should have topographical maps for your home area and for your bug out location area if you have one. One detail about maps is if you do not protect them with lamination or a map case they will not last long especially if they get wet. If laminated you can write on them with a water based marker and be able to erase it.

For those in the military and veterans your probably use to laminating maps before field operations. We called is Acetate. If you search for the larger laminate and if you find it you will pay big bucks for it.

Reality Survival has a video on using an adhesive shelf liner.

At my local Walmart I found it in the kitchen supplies area. It was surrounded by other shelving liners most were colored/pattern type liners. The brand that I bought was Con-Tact Brand. I tried to find it on Walmart.com but could not find the exact same product. This Duck Brand laminate is basically the same thing but smaller the Con-tact Brand is 18”X36' and this Duck brand is 12”X36”. They are both close to the same price.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Lami...Clear/16224481

A lot of people/outdoorsman use GPS units, I do to but that is no excuse for not having paper maps and a compass.
    AquaHull, RedLion and A Watchman like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Great post, one problem i have been having is finding MGRS maps online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The next best thing is getting USGS maps. Go to their website and you can download for free and you can order hard copies at a decent price.
    RJAMES likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

This is so good I bookmarked it. 3 times at that with my fat fingers

Map Seal is a liquid product to coat / apply with a paintbrush on to topographical maps . Map Proof is similar product in a spray can. Outdoors stores that sell canoe/ kayak will carry this and will also carry some clear waterproof pouches to hold maps.

For some short 2 or 3 day trips I have just printed off what I needed and stored them in zip lock bags without issue.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Both Lowes and Home Depot sell the clear and it comes in 12, 18 and 24 inch.

We use to laminate our topo's in the guard, somewhere along the line we had a spray, kind of like a clear lacquer.

All mine of interest have the acetate sheeting.

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    Map Seal is a liquid product to coat / apply with a paintbrush on to topographical maps . Map Proof is similar product in a spray can. Outdoors stores that sell canoe/ kayak will carry this and will also carry some clear waterproof pouches to hold maps.

For some short 2 or 3 day trips I have just printed off what I needed and stored them in zip lock bags without issue.

I was not familiar with this product so I did a search on it. It sounds good but when I read the fine print it said you have to be careful when the maps are drying or they will bond together. The same thing for when you store your maps to be careful if the maps stay in contact with each other long term they will bond together. Might just be me but I would not rather have to deal with that and just get them laminated and forget about them unto they are needed.

You lay them out on a table coat one side wait till it drys then flip over and coat the back. No issue with them sticking together as you let them dry flat. Laminated I have had problems when someone folded a map reading fine detail in the fold due to cracking.

Regardless of how the map is water proofed roll it or store it flat. Flat works best. Never fold.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    You lay them out on a table coat one side wait till it drys then flip over and coat the back. No issue with them sticking together as you let them dry flat. Laminated I have had problems when someone folded a map reading fine detail in the fold due to cracking.

Regardless of how the map is water proofed roll it or store it flat. Flat works best. Never fold.
    I know what your saying but what I read is after its laminated and dried. Who knows, I'm cheap and just don't want to deal with it. It would piss me off if my $10. + (or what ever USGS maps are costing these days) maps got ruined. I guess part of it is experience from the military. We used adhesive lamination to seal the maps, change sucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links