Kmart Sears Macys and the future of malls - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kmart Sears Macys and the future of malls

This is a discussion on Kmart Sears Macys and the future of malls within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Oddcaliber K mart and Sears are closing stores here too. Screw Macy's! I'll only miss Sears because I get my tools from ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Kmart Sears Macys and the future of malls

Quote Originally Posted by Oddcaliber View Post
    K mart and Sears are closing stores here too. Screw Macy's! I'll only miss Sears because I get my tools from them.

Sears just sold off the Craftsman name .... and has been selling their tools thru KMart - industrial grade thru WW Grainger and a few other distributors ....
    Oddcaliber likes this.
    I llini Warrior

Repurposing old malls is a very good idea in my opinion. Rezoning them residential and replacing the stores with apartments is a great idea. Imagine the common area with play areas, water features and other niceties. The old 100 Oaks Mall here in Nashville is shown. Vanderbilt University Medical Center bought it. Our local mall has, in part, been purchased by the local hospital and is being transformed. If the building can be used it's probably better than turning it into a field.

John Galt likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

I have not been to a mall in years. I avoid them like the plague. Ironic tho, the big chains and super malls put the Mom and Pops out of business and now the internet is putting them out of business.
    TG, Oddcaliber and Joe like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Sears is doing it to themselves. We bought a Kenmore washer and dryer. While under warranty I had an issue. I was told by their warranty people that unless the washer was not working at all, they were not coming out. Up until this time most of my appliances are Kenmore (Whirlpool). We have made our last appliance purchase there and since they sold Craftsman I won't be going for tools either. Home Depot brand tools (Husky) are made by Snap-On and Lowes brand (Kobalt) are made by Mac. Power tools I'm now using Dewalt and Porter Cable.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    I feel like a trapped animal in a mall, online shopping is so much more peaceful
    I have to agree with TG. It is so nice to lay on my back in bed and click what i want then wait for the mailman to drop it on my front porch. But then again i am kinda lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I think some of those that survive will be upscale. There are already two here that cater to the very rich. What fun is buying your $7000 clutch online? The thrill is to see and be seen by your peers and the hoi polloi as you buy your expensive diamonds and suits.
    I've been following retail trends for a long time and there have been a lot a of articles about strip and indoor malls. The general concisions is that only upper end malls that have a higher income cliental and stores will survive.

Personally I like Sears for tools and appliances but I only shop there maybe twice a year. K-Mart is on my "I don't like it" list.

Who remembers cruisin' the local mall for friends on Saturday night? Now days kid's and young adults instead cruise the internet.
    sideKahr likes this.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Home Depot brand tools (Husky) are made by Snap-On and Lowes brand (Kobalt) are made by Mac. Power tools I'm now using Dewalt and Porter Cable.
    I guess that explains the surprisingly high quality of Kobalt and Husky tools. Nowhere close to Snap On and Mac tools but generally decent for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I guess that explains the surprisingly high quality of Kobalt and Husky tools. Nowhere close to Snap On and Mac tools but generally decent for the price.
    And that's the point. Also Home Depot has the same warranty as Craftsman hand tools and I believe Kobalt does too.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    And that's the point. Also Home Depot has the same warranty as Craftsman hand tools and I believe Kobalt does too.
    Price with acceptable quality wins. Long ago at a business I ran the Mac tool guy truck would show up and I'd release the mechanics for 20 minutes. Using the mechanic's recommendations I'd purchase any super specialized tools the shop needed but rarely did the guys who actually used the tools spend a penny for their own tool boxes. At the time they could buy an almost as good tool for 70% less at Sears.

A few weeks ago a friend/neighbor came over to demonstrate and attempt to sell me a Rainbow vacuum for $3200. After politely watching the sales pitch I said no. Just for curiosity I went on the internet. I found the exact same new vacuum with the same attachments for $1400. The internet has made consumer product business much more competitive.
    Last edited by John Galt; 01-09-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    inceptor likes this.

Buddy of mine delivers mail for the post office. He says their package delivery business in the last few months has exploded. Doesn't have room in his vehicle to haul all the mail order packages.

People would rather shop in their pajamas online then drive off to the local gun free zone. Deal with the traffic, flash mops and current plague.
    inceptor and Prepared One like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links