Opinion on posting alarm company signs on property
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Opinion on posting alarm company signs on property within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; So I'm visiting a friend of mine and as I walk up the front sidewalk I see a yard sign and a sticker on his ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Opinion on posting alarm company signs on property

So I'm visiting a friend of mine and as I walk up the front sidewalk I see a yard sign and
    a sticker on his front window. I asked when he got the alarm installed. No alarm, just $4
    for the stickers. I have other friends with an alarm that don't show any sign. They don't
    want to advertise that they might have valuable stuff to steal. Another friend with an alarm
    figures most break ins are from young punks and if they see the signs, they'll go next door and
    break into someone else's house. A fourth uses the old ADT signs from before he got the new
    and different company's system. Don't let them know what company you have.
    I see the logic in all four. Your thoughts, please.
    Opinion on posting alarm company signs on property-adt-sticker.jpg
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

Super Moderator

I used to be a second story man, so a sign to me means:
    They have something worth stealing, it doesn't mean there is an alarm in the house or not, but it's pretty easy to tell.
    ADT has a check list of people to call if they get an alarm, number 1 on the list is not the police. My MIL had ADT, we would get sanity check calls all the time.
    A neighbor of ours had their house burgled, deputies said they knew where to look for gold and jewelry, but they didn't find the closet with the guys guns...
    The next door neighbor of theirs was having a block wall built... probably by illegals, and the neighbor and I suspect that it was them.
    ADT probably takes 20+ minutes to attempt to determine if it was a false alarm or not, then they call LE, which is another 5-15 minutes response time, an ADT call is not high priority.
    I can check all hiding places in a home in less than 10 minutes, I use a pillow case for the loot, I broke a window to gain access, and I've never been caught.
    I check drawers first, just pull everything out, toilet tanks next, then the freezer, that's 4 minutes max, then closets, and unless you are a kid, forget the TV, Stereo, Computers (unless you are into computer crime). Don't use a car/truck, transfer pillow case into your backpack, and either walk out, or bicycle away..., nobody reports a strange vehicle, license number etc.

Rancher
    Last edited by azrancher; 01-08-2017 at 10:27 PM.

The only sign I would post is, "My doors are locked for YOUR protection!"
    6811 and paraquack like this.
    My assault rifle must be defective.... it has yet to assault anyone. Hidden Content

Feel free to visit my Hidden Content Page.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Land mines work real well!
    6811 and paraquack like this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

I have motion sensor cameras, but don't advertise, hmmmm, I think I just did.....never mind.
    paraquack likes this.

I have a local alarm company, the alarm is hard wired with cell phone technology & 24 hr battery BU. The alarm co calls within 30 sec to 1 minute of being tripped, the police respond within 3-5 minutes or sooner. I do advertise with a sign. Also have several HD cameras that I can access anywhere in the world. I feel that going with ADT or some of the other big guys is a waste of money. You get what you pay for buy cheap & get cheap . If you break in when I'm home you will leave in a body bag & I'll have to paint the walls again & I hate painting.

I think it really depends on the neighborhood, . . . some places it would be an invitation to break in, . . . in another, a obvious invitation to try another place.

Upscale neighborhoods I drive through will have them kinda like salt and pepper, . . . one here / one there.

Mid scale neighborhoods not so much, . . . but if they do, it's prominently displayed right up by the front door.

I'm like Azrancher, . . . it takes time for the cavalry to arrive, . . . a guy can be in and out and on his way, . . . before the LEO boys can even find the place.

But I tend to think it's like any other "hardener" one would do, . . . maybe gives the bad guy the idea to go find another place more inviting or less problematic. We're working on revamping our security here at the house, . . . mainly relying on the fact that people know that me and all my close neighbors are shooters, have guns, and I suspect that the news about most of us having our CHL may be a bit of a deterrent also.

But I don't think the signs could ever really hurt. YMMV.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I take a different approach. No centralized alarm system or signs for me, just good doors and locks. If I'm home, the perimeter alarms are on, and there will be war if they come in. If I'm out, I'm not in danger; if they can get in, I have insurance.
    rstanek likes this.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

I have the house and barn wired. Two signs. My home is large enough that posting or not posting a sign for hard core thrives is all the same. Might keep the punks away. It's more to give me and the family a heads up if we are home. Azrancher is correct that professional thieves know what to do and how much time they have to do it. Two dogs are helpful.

We had an alarm go off over a year ago, the police were contacted and we are still waiting for them to show. My wife finally checked it out with dogs and a glock. I was at work.
    A Watchman likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    ...We had an alarm go off over a year ago, the police were contacted and we are still waiting for them to show...
    That's classic. LOL!
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links