Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What to put in your PVC Survival Cache

This is a discussion on What to put in your PVC Survival Cache within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; What would you put in your pvc survival cache / time capsule? What other uses can you think of for a project like this?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to put in your PVC Survival Cache

What would you put in your pvc survival cache / time capsule? What other uses can you think of for a project like this?

Problem with caches is that somebody might find them, (dogs are very good at finding things buried in woods) or else the contents might not be in good shape when you dig them up.
    The long-running Blue Peter TV prog were in the habit of burying small boxes of everyday items in the TV station back garden as "time capsules" and digging them up years later, what can possibly go wrong?-

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 04-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.

A Ruger 10/22, 5 magazines and 5 bricks of 22LR

I'm thinking that vacuum sealling things might be a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripon View Post
    A Ruger 10/22, 5 magazines and 5 bricks of 22LR
    Yep, Field & Stream,Outdoor Life, Mother Earth News,Playboy and Penthouse.

Awhile back I purchased a Mossberg 500 Just in Case Mariner 12 gauge shotgun, which came already housed inside a very thick resealable 10-mils thick Visqueen bag, in its own Schedule 40 PVC tube, which is designed to be waterproof down to 40 feet below water surface.

It also came with a survival knife and a multi-tool, which were not of very high quality, but I tossed them in my tackle box anyway....

The PVC tube is designed to float, and comes with an attached nylon strap shoulder sling, so you can take it onto your boat, and if it goes under, your shotgun will not sink beneath the waves....

It is also designed to survive being buried. It comes with a resealable rubber donut ring, clamped by zinc coated steel plates, and stainless steel hardware (carriage bolt and large wing nut) so you can access the contents without tools in an emergency situation (hey, stuff happens).

The Mariner is nickel plated, so it is designed to withstand rust and corrosion, and exposure to humidity and moisture - it makes a perfect truck gun, or trunk gun, as the case may be, as a result.

18" barrel, seven shot IIRC, and although it has a pistol grip, it makes a nice breaching tool, and would suffice in an emergency until you could find something better to shoot with.

These shotties have really jumped in price since I bought mine (pre-panic) but it is a very solid and well-built shotgun, and would be very useful in an emergency or SHTF situation, or as a breacher, or boat gun.

Since it was capable of serving multiple roles I needed (it fits on the front rack of an ATV in a tool holder with rubber snubbers like it was made for it), I decided to buy it, and now I am very glad I did.

I like that it floats, you could bury it if you were so inclined, and you can carry it with you and not worry about it getting beat up on the trip (plus the tube is good for storing handheld electronic stuff you don't want getting wet).

All in all, a very versatile prepper's weapon, and a decent hard storage design option to keep it out of the elements, if you hit the outdoors hard.

A picture is worth a thousand words, as we all know, so here you go, offered up for your viewing pleasure:

Last edited by Verteidiger; 04-29-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

I'd pay to see you try to shoot a duck or pheasant with it... heck I might even pay to see you fire it at a man size target five times.
    My advice is to see if you can get a shoulder stock that will also fit in that tube.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    I'd pay to see you try to shoot a duck or pheasant with it... heck I might even pay to see you fire it at a man size target five times.
    My advice is to see if you can get a shoulder stock that will also fit in that tube.
    I would take all those bets, and easily take your money. I practice with mine a lot. If it is within 30 yards, I can hit it, whatever it is, running or flying. And it is going to die.

Now, if you had said one-handed....

I wasn't trying to comment on your accuracy but rather on the results would be to your wrist.
    I have an ATP-8 Mossberg 500 and tried it once with a pistol grip. I am not a small guy but magnum rounds with a pistol grip 12 gauge is just not something I want to do ever again. I use the full stock and am very happy to shoot it - all eight rounds if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    I wasn't trying to comment on your accuracy but rather on the results would be to your wrist.
    I have an ATP-8 Mossberg 500 and tried it once with a pistol grip. I am not a small guy but magnum rounds with a pistol grip 12 gauge is just not something I want to do ever again. I use the full stock and am very happy to shoot it - all eight rounds if need be.
    Its all good. Actually, I plan on putting a Blackhawk Knoxx Axiom recoil reducing stock on this gun, except all the dealers I use are sold out right now. It does give you a whack when you shoot it - and it can actually make your forearm bones ache if you overdo it (ask me how I know). It is an emergency weapon as configured, or a breacher if you have that specific need.

Blackhawk Knoxx also makes a recoil reducing breacher's pistol grip, which would be a good buy if you wanted a shortened shotgun and did not want to get a short-barrel tax stamp.

I have a Knoxx stock on my home defense Remington 870 Marine Magnum, and it greatly reduces recoil (which is why I want one for the Mossberg). Much more controllable under recoil....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads