Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Ammo Manufactures

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Smitty901 
#1 ·
Part of the problem is the ammo companies.
Winchester is the only company I know of that is still producing ammo for the civilian market. The rest I suspect are concentrating on government orders. (No proof to cite, so more info would be appreciated)
If my assumptions are correct, the ammo companies are dooming themselves.
The 2nd amendment doesn't specify ammunition. It can become illegal and/or taxed to the point where it no longer exists. Guns become merely clubs.
Before it's too late a list of the companies responsible needs to be compiled and contact made with them pointing out the fact that what they are doing is wrong.
On the lighter side... When NY passed the BS law prohibiting "assault weapons" several companies such as Olympic Arms stated that if they can't ship to civilians, they won't ship to law enforcement or other government entities either. The ammo guys need to get in line & follow that example.

#2 ·
While I have no hard evidence, such as an inside source at a major ammo manufacturer, so I can only put forth my purchases and seeing in person availability to support my opinion, I have also seen Winchester (usually WWB) available in numerous places (but like as we all know, when it does arrive, its quickly gone). I have also seen supplies from Federal (in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and a trickle of .22lr bulk) hit the stores with some measure of regularity (usually wal-marts in my area get one shipment per week per store)

#5 ·
Sellier & Bellot, Norma, and others make quality ammo. In fact it's usually better than American made.
There's no conspiracy here, fellas.

Reactions: Piratesailor
#6 ·
I'd love to know why you think nobody but Winchester is making ammo for the Civilian market right now. ATK's primary business is government contracts, so I can see them devoting their manufacturing to handle those, but everybody else? And all of the foreign companies that don't depend on US government contracts, such as Privi, Wolf, S&B, etc? Yeah, the ammo is still being made, it's just being bought as fast as it hits the shelves.

#7 ·
Government orders take priority on weapons and ammo. Been that way a long time.
US Military switched the contract for a lot of M4's to Remington from Colt. Remington has been grabbing up out sourced parts to meet the delivery.
What the government is buying effects our market big time.

#8 ·
Actually what the government buys shouldn't affect the commercial market to much they have their own ammo manufacturing plant and should be able to handle their demands during a major war. The civilian market in the USA bought 14 million guns last year that is more the all the soldiers in 20 of the worlds largest armies combined.

#9 ·
Every thing the Government buys in the way of small arms come from the same market you and I buy from.
Barrel stock is hard to come by right now. Remington is out sourcing many of the parts for M4's that were contracted.
Except for a few parts in the lower they are the same weapon you by as an AR15.
Lake city is one of the largest suppliers of 5.56 M855 ammo to the Military.

#10 ·
Smitty901 I just can't see how US military would make such a demand in the civilian market, In just two months we bought enough guns to outfit both the Chinese and Indian armies.
Americans Buy Enough Guns in Last Two Months to Outfit the Entire Chinese and Indian Armies | The Gateway Pundit
China armed forces 2,285,000
India armed forces 1,325,000
American armed forces 1,458,500

If we completely bought a new gun for everyone in our armed forces it would only equal about 1/10 of the US market for the year.

Yes it would probably make AR-15 back logged just as they held up Scar-17 magazines when it came out on the civilian market. But it shouldn't have the effect on ammo and guns that we have going on now.

#11 ·
No real shortage and they will hold it back for few more months then let it go as they did in 2008 to 2009. Of course the price of everything will then go up as powder has locally. They have it however the price per pound is beginning to go up from $2 to $4 that I've seen locally. Also guns, loading equipment or for that matter anything gun related will jump from 5 to 20% with some things more.

#12 ·
Many of the parts come from the same plants they just switch back and forth on production. If they focus on limited parts others do not get produced.
The cost of barrel stock went up over 20 dollars a barrel that may not sound like much but it is a big jump. That is not a fake increase the product is just tha short of a supply.
DHS has been buying up ammo like it is getting ready for war. That is on top of what they had already had on contract.

#14 · (Edited)
Funny how you can buy stuff military does not use.
Picked up another 250 .45 230 gr today. Did not really need them but what the heck I buy another 45 or two soon.
Had 380 in bulk
.38 bulk and .45 in bulk
some .40

(bulk packages of 250 or more)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.