Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

how start your own survival group?

This is a discussion on how start your own survival group? within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Being that I'm a single mom I'm interested in being part of a group where everyone ship in for our survival. but how do i ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: how start your own survival group?

how start your own survival group?

Being that I'm a single mom I'm interested in being part of a group where everyone ship in for our survival. but how do i do it? Everytime i try to talk to friends about stocking up food and water they answer were not gonna run out of food and water followed by a laugh.they may be right i may be crazy who knows.i just feel strength is in numbers and single mom with 3 kids don't say were strongest. in town lol
    oldmurph58 likes this.

I guess I wouldnt start with your neighbors. Depending on the age of your age kids. A group of 4 can actually be very efficient from a prepper standpoint. So I guess for thats where Id start is by assessing what the family has. The more people you bring in the more food you have to store etc. Good topic Im working on adding to some of weak spots with other individuals but it is a hard interview. I dont usually talk about prepping to many others because all that means to the average person is thats where Im going to go when Im hungry wether there intentions are good are bad its going to lead to a bloody porch.

Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidX View Post
    I guess I wouldnt start with your neighbors. Depending on the age of your age kids. A group of 4 can actually be very efficient from a prepper standpoint. So I guess for thats where Id start is by assessing what the family has. The more people you bring in the more food you have to store etc. Good topic Im working on adding to some of weak spots with other individuals but it is a hard interview. I dont usually talk about prepping to many others because all that means to the average person is thats where Im going to go when Im hungry wether there intentions are good are bad its going to lead to a bloody porch.

the kids ages 7,8&10 all boys.I'm planning to enroll them in martial arts as part of my defense plan and me well I'm crazy lol whoever breaks into my apt its gonna leave in a doggie bag.i have an ax,4 machetes and crazy but true i got a spear i made one my I'm so bored to tears days.in my opinion shtf can happen today or 20 yrs from today i just wanna be ready and want to be able to provide and protect them .
    AsteroidX likes this.

Like minded thinkers you can relate to. Best is if it is people you share a long term bond with.
    War game it until you come up with something that works then refine it as you go.
    In our group we share blood family and or have stilt blood served in the Army together.
    Not a 100% requirement but a strong first step. Two from out side our circle have been invited in.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 02-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

A lot of my skills are thanks to my dad.he survived two wars and still ready for more.him being the only man in the house since he only had daugthers six I'm the baby he thought us everything he learned in the army .
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Like minded thinkers you can relate to. Best is if it is people you share a long term bond with.
    War game it until you come up with something that works then refine it as you go.
    In our group we share blood family and or have stilt blood served in the Army together.
    Not a 100% requirement but a strong first step. Two from out side our circle have been invited in.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidX View Post
    I guess I wouldnt start with your neighbors.
    I agree.
    Out of the people in my Cul de Sac, one neighbor is a prepper to some degree, but not much.
    Another 2 neighbors are considered friends. But being a friend doesn't mean I'll feed you and take care of your needs because YOU failed to have some kind of plan. I'm loyal to MY family.
    I've always been the neighborhood gun nut, and over the years my neighbors have seen me come and go to/from the range and they have a tendency to smirk and roll their eyes.
    BFD.
    I have a group of like minded friends that are local, but don't know how prepared they really are.
    I'm fortunate and blessed enough to have a second home in the mtns. At the first sign of serious trouble, we will be on our way.
    Invited individuals that have earned my trust and respect will be welcomed.
    Others..........not.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

i got a spear i made one my I'm so bored to tears days
    With three boys I am not sure how you managed to have one of those moments much less days! Inquiring minds wanna know how!

osewegoscott is so right. Most folks are in denial. Most folks will be in deep doo-doo and desperate when they realize they were caught with their pants down so to speak. Just dont be one of them too! You do what you think you gotta do and dont look look back for even a second.

We all have the same basic problem in most cases. Even I do. But I do have a few friends that are some what wake at the wheel and while not really all that prepared they do have a clue and they can bring a little something to the table and I suspect when the S hits the fan, they will be hitting me up. While not optimal thats cool. I have some extras and my place is big enough to accomadate the added load. They have to just understand that its temporary and they will have some hard work ahead of them to earn their keep. What I value the most though is that they bring man power and they bring the ability to maintain better security with them. Thats what i will need most in rough times.

Instead of just prepping, I have put much of my efforts into sustainability. As a Prepper your limited by the amount of supplies you have and how fast you can gear up to produce your own. I have what is essentially a orchard thats far bigger than I will ever need on my bit of property. Been working on it now for about 4 years. I am adding 9 more trees minimum this season. For about 3 years I have been maintaining a huge compost pile with about 10 yards capacity. Been preparing a 150 by 50 foot garden for a couple of years. I have been spending a lot of time growing veggies here trying to build my skills so when I really need to make it count there wont be a learning curve or several poor harvest before things get going well. Produce, Fruit and Nuts for several wont be an issue.

Im next to a private lake. Water not a problem. Fish should be pretty plentiful for a good while. Water for the garden during those long dry summer not much of an issue.

I have taken the time to stash a lot of chicken wire, building materials and what not. This is how those that knock on my door are going to help earn their keep. They are going to build a larger chicken coop, rabbit hutches and their own living accomadations. I cant do it all. You wanna eat your gonna have to help. You wanna sleep inside where its warm you better get to cracking it aint gonna mircale itself there.

Its been a long hard road, its gonna be longer. Probably wont never be sitting near as good as I wanna be. Hell I may never need to use it. But if I do I wanna make the going as easy as possible. This is why I have put a higher priority on sustainability vs just stacking food and water deep.
    oswegoscott likes this.

My kids go to after school program so on my days off from work and no kids that when my bored to tears day happen.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticFringeInc View Post
    With three boys I am not sure how you managed to have one of those moments much less days! Inquiring minds wanna know how!

osewegoscott is so right. Most folks are in denial. Most folks will be in deep doo-doo and desperate when they realize they were caught with their pants down so to speak. Just dont be one of them too! You do what you think you gotta do and dont look look back for even a second.

We all have the same basic problem in most cases. Even I do. But I do have a few friends that are some what wake at the wheel and while not really all that prepared they do have a clue and they can bring a little something to the table and I suspect when the S hits the fan, they will be hitting me up. While not optimal thats cool. I have some extras and my place is big enough to accomadate the added load. They have to just understand that its temporary and they will have some hard work ahead of them to earn their keep. What I value the most though is that they bring man power and they bring the ability to maintain better security with them. Thats what i will need most in rough times.

Instead of just prepping, I have put much of my efforts into sustainability. As a Prepper your limited by the amount of supplies you have and how fast you can gear up to produce your own. I have what is essentially a orchard thats far bigger than I will ever need on my bit of property. Been working on it now for about 4 years. I am adding 9 more trees minimum this season. For about 3 years I have been maintaining a huge compost pile with about 10 yards capacity. Been preparing a 150 by 50 foot garden for a couple of years. I have been spending a lot of time growing veggies here trying to build my skills so when I really need to make it count there wont be a learning curve or several poor harvest before things get going well. Produce, Fruit and Nuts for several wont be an issue.

Im next to a private lake. Water not a problem. Fish should be pretty plentiful for a good while. Water for the garden during those long dry summer not much of an issue.

I have taken the time to stash a lot of chicken wire, building materials and what not. This is how those that knock on my door are going to help earn their keep. They are going to build a larger chicken coop, rabbit hutches and their own living accomadations. I cant do it all. You wanna eat your gonna have to help. You wanna sleep inside where its warm you better get to cracking it aint gonna mircale itself there.

Its been a long hard road, its gonna be longer. Probably wont never be sitting near as good as I wanna be. Hell I may never need to use it. But if I do I wanna make the going as easy as possible. This is why I have put a higher priority on sustainability vs just stacking food and water deep.

I think with more shows like Doomsday Preppers on TV more folks are waking up to the fact we face some very real threats to our survival in the coming years

If you look at the classic Charlton Heston film "The Omega man" - his biggest downfall was loneliness - being community minded might just save us all
    inceptor and oldmurph58 like this.

Well I moved about 3 years ago to the home I'm in today. It was a very old neighborhood in a relatively big "town" in the center of CA. We moved in on Thursday and Friday and on Saturday afternoon a knock at the door from an elderly couple with a bag of lemons from their own tree were a nice treat. Later I invited them, a guy across the street, new "kids"next door and a "loner dude" on the opposite corner all over for a BBQ. I put cheap franks and burgers on and we talked. The guy across the street was a 2 year Iraqi vet, losing his house in foreclosure at the time, and my wife was able to get him some help - he's still there, very greatful and I am of the opinion if needed he could deliver some help. The loner turns out to be a Vietnam era veteran who noticed me unloading the gun safes when we moved in said he needs to get one of those. He's been a real treat actually having called the police a few times for issues in the area. That's two sides covered. I suspect the young couple next door, nice Hispanic kid and an infact are not preppers at all. They seem to spend everything they have on chrome for a Mazda 2000 era pick up? Hey to each is own, but he does some wood work in the garage so he's not a total waste. I know he speaks spanish too - an attribute I don't have. The nice elderly couple said they know everyone up and down the street - there is value in that - if they are anything like my wifes' parents or mine they have a pantry worth about 3 months of kibble. I just notice that's how old folks are, and I've sense been over to the house once to help him unload a brand spanking new bbq and he's got almonds, lemons, oranges, plums and pears growing - smart.

So I may not have a group, but I know em. Only sad thing is I'd be the first one to bail on them; I just have the right BOL and wouldn't want to risk sitting around. Depending on the circumstances I might invite some of em.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads