Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

May I educate you?

5K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  NotTooProudToHide 
#1 ·
How Many Slaves Landed in the U.S.? | The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross | PBS

The guy falsely arrested...called to the white House to have a
Beer with the cop that arrested him.........

388,000 Slaves were sent to the USA total in the USA total between Between 1525 and 1866...350 years....thats 1100 a year while 11 million went to South America and the Caribbean!

I believe him!

Henry Louis Gates is my backup....I wouldn't wanna be called a racist!

The page will disappear soon!

#13 · (Edited)
Actually the number is probably about right. Slaves were very expensive and few people could afford them. A $800 slave back then would cost $23,700 in today's money. Most slaves in the US were born here. It was much less expensive to "breed you own" than to buy a slave.

Recent genetic testing on 3000 blacks here in the US show that they average being 13% white and only 87% black. This is mostly from early slave owners "breeding their own".

Sorry if my choice of words offends anyone here. Personally I don't care about the color of a man's skin. You're either a man with honor or you are worthless in my book.

#11 ·
Slavery is wrong now. It was wrong then.
It is still happening today, just not so much in this country.It wasn't only in the south of the US, either. But it was an established method of doing things. The white people in the southern US didn't invent it.
AND the whole population of whites in the south wasn't necessarily part of all that. There were a LOT of poor whites who weren't much more than slaves themselves.
And just where do you suppose they got those slaves to begin with? Someone (not necessarily a white person)sold those slaves to people who then brought them to various places around the world.
I'll say it again,
Slavery is and was wrong.
There is no getting around that.
But the south wasn't comprised solely of slave owning hate mongers who wanted to rule by force. And the south didn't fight the civil war only because of slavery. But history is written by the victors. Those of you who are 40 and older should look into the"history"children are being taught today in schools. The differences in what we were taught and what they are being taught doesn't stop at slavery.
Kinda makes you wonder just how much has been"edited" or modified throughout even just our country's history. Brain washing citizens wasn't invented by the U.S. and the current media either.
But they play a major role and have for quite some time. I read this recently :
Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Nazi minister of propaganda said :"think of the press as a great keyboard on which the govt can play". And that's just the media. Imagine the "influence"someone could exert if they controlled the education system. ..

#12 ·
It is humorous that the same people in the US that hate the US because of slavery 150 years ago love Africa and even call themselves African-Americans while many countries in Africa currently have millions of slaves. And nearly 100% of the slavers are black muslimes who are enslaving black non muslimes
Dumbasses..

#17 ·
Southern cotton planters did not travel to Africa to capture slaves and bring them here. Look at who was capturing and selling their own people into slavery. Fast forward 400 years and look at the criminal gangs in our inner cities. Their descendants make slaves of their own people today by enslaving them with drugs.

#18 ·
The Civil War was nit about slavery, it was about southern rights and independence from the oppression the north was imposing on the south.

Lincoln only freed the slaves to keep England and France from joining the war on the side if the south that freed the slaves before Lincoln did!
Also Lincoln as loosing the war and need man power so he freed the slaves and then forced then to fight in the war!

Look at the many southern Generals that went to war against the north and not only brought ther "slaves" with them but also armed them!
General Nathan Bedford Forest had armed his "slaves" and they were his personal body guards!!!! How many northern generals did that????? None!!!

So sorry but the Civil War had nothing to do about slavery!!!

If you take a northern battle map and lay it over a southern map of breweries, tobacco and cotton fields you'll see what the War Of Northern Aggression was really about

#19 ·
The Civil War was about slavery. Pure and simple. The greatest "state right" the Confederacy was concerned with was slavery. I was born and raised in the South, but wrong is wrong. Sherman said it best when he he said "Never, in the history of war, has anyone fought so bravely for such a terrible cause."

#21 ·
I'm not saying anything about slavery being right or wrong.
But the war was not about slavery!
If it was why did the north wait until the last year of the war to end slavery? Long after most southern states did!
And why did the underground railroad go all the way to Massachusetts? That's well past the northern lines!!
No the north was well involved with slavery, so well involved that they were the ones promoting it!
It was about the northern govt taxing the heck out of the south and buying southern goods for dirt cheap then selling them overseas at jacked up prices. Just like today!
NYC controls the markets, the shipping, the trading and the money! The south had the textile and cash crops, and booze! Yes believe it or not American booze was all the rage in Europe and was just as valuable as our cotton and tobacco!
What did the north make or grow? What do they make or grow now???? Nothing but money and the markets.

Slavery was a secondary issue of the war........nobody really cared about it back then. The south used slaves in the fields and the north used them in the city's and in their fancy homes, and their fields.

The north was greedy and the south rose up! That's why the Fed Givt called it the "southern uprising" it was never called a war by the north, it was simply a rebellion

#23 · (Edited)
The US government passed legislation in 1807 that prohibited the importation of slaves from 1808 onward. Undoubtedly some were smuggled in after that date, but the vast majority of those slaves directly from Africa were here by 1808. So millions were here by 1808, the 388,000 bred at an exponential rate or somewhere in between the two previous possibilities accounts for 4 million by 1860.

#27 ·
You know I totally left out the nullification debate that occurred in the Virginia acts and Kentucky Resolutions and the Andrew Jackson presidency. The history during this time period is great. Like I said slavery was a BIG issue but I'm of the opinion that this was an inevitable conflict between two sides that just couldn't get a long and today we're starting to see it happen again.

#28 ·
I also think its worth pointing out that this image Hollywood gives of the huge plantations and cruel overseers is a bit exaggerated. They certainly did exist and there where certainly cruel slave owners but the overwhelmingly majority of slave owning households only had 1 or 2 slaves and they where generally treated much better than free northern industrial workers where at the time. Like others said, slaves where expensive so only the super rich could afford to staff an entire plantation with them and mistreating them wasn't good policy although it did happen.

#30 ·
Or why all the infrastructure built by the government was primarily in the manufacturing base in the north. The disparity of railroads in the regions was astounding.

I could teach a semester long class on the civil war and events leading up to it. People talk about how great a General Ulysses S Grant was, give Robert E Lee the same troop numbers and the same equipment and see what happens. Even as things where had Stonewall Jackson not been killed by his own sentries he would have lead the assault on Little Round top at Gettysburg, I suspect that would have lead to a much different outcome.

#33 ·
Newguy101, the short answer is the representation the new states would have in the House of Representatives and the power that would have in the culture class that was going on between the Whigs and the Democrats. Slavery was already on its deathbed because of the outlawing of importing new slaves and the abolition movement was gaining ground albeit a different way than the powers wanted it to be.

People forget about the American Colonization Society and their plans to compensate slave owners and resettle slaves in Liberia West Africa. Abraham Lincoln was actually a big fan of this idea and tried to get it through but the more radical elements in the Republican party rejected it in favor of government mandated abolition.

#34 · (Edited)
I will add this little tidbit for thought provoking....
If you do believe that the war was about slavery consider this.....The democrats (vast majority) of the south...fought like hell to force the American people to accept their idea of what was right...and even opposed by the federal army and northern states....nearly won....

Imagine how it would have ended if the federal Government had been controlled by the south?

Now transpose that to todays Democrats doing everything they can to make Americans accept their idea of what's right...and how they not only control the federal government...but the vast majority of media...the west coast, most of the east coast...the northern border and part of the southern border...

What chance do we have in beating them?

#35 ·
The simple proclamation by Mr. Lincoln that he would free the slaves or keep them enslaved to maintain the UNION..tells me that although many were impassioned by the concern of slavery....the major issue at hand was federal power and control over state sovereignty and slavery was the talking points memo of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.