Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alabama Hostage situation

This is a discussion on Alabama Hostage situation within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Knocking him out with gas or any other type of aggressive move by authorities is a one time deal. They either have to be successful ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Alabama Hostage situation

Knocking him out with gas or any other type of aggressive move by authorities is a one time deal. They either have to be successful in which case they will be heroes or failure will result in a dead child. This guy is former US Navy. He has built a bunker and spent extended periods in the bunker. They have used the tube to send medicine for the child to him and communicate with him. I would say that he has already thought of the possibility that gas could be used. I also bet he has weapons down there, maybe even a gas mask.

I'd say the best bet right now it to wait this out for a while. Maybe deploy some technology that can see through the ground into the bunker. They know that he has been sleeping and that the kid is watching television. So law enforcement is listening in. Maybe when he is asleep they've even used a camera on a wire... Who knows? But they have one shot to do this. It is heroes of zeroes. No in between.

I think you are right, Southern Dad. I suggested the gas only as a necessary method if the guy goes after the kid and they cannot get the door opened to save him.

Time is on their side. Unless this guy is totally crazy, a month or two being holed in that bunker will make him beg to give up.

I just hope he lets the kid go.

I am wondering what kind of door and locking mechanism he has on this bunker. Can you imagine if the Police used a knock out gas, putting both the man and boy to sleep then were unable to enter the bunker? Let's just say, he wouldn't be a happy camper when he awoke. I'm quite sure that he is bat crap crazy. However, he's obviously got a brain in his head. He's able to plan, patrol and build. What I am finding odd is the lack of media coverage. This story should be leading the news each night. It makes the news but barely. Have we become immune to this kind of violence and situations against children?

I think anyone who commits cold-blooded murder is crazy - even if only temporarily insane. That is a line (intentional murder) no one in their right mind would ever cross. This guy is also evil, since this was clearly premeditated. My opinion, anyway.

As to the lack of news coverage, it is my understanding the on-scene authorities are concerned the madman is listening to TV, so they are deliberately not discussing any plans with the media - a blackout on purpose.

With the equipment they are building up on-site, they will be able to get in, no matter what the door is. The problem is not wanting to hurt the child hostage.

Last report I saw suggesting he is weakening and contemplating surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    I consider a "bunker"or saferoom as protection from looters and roving bands of slimeballs. They won't waste time trying to get into a bunker--they'll move on.
    Actually, rice paddy daddy has an excellent point. Soldiers and Marines fighting in Vietnam often faced enemy bunkers, and flamethrowers were the weapon of choice to deploy (along with napalm). The problem was the Vietnamese fighters had tunnel systems that allowed them to escape and live to fight another day. That escape hatch is his point.

Anyone holing up in a bunker like this guy is a sitting duck. Find the vent system, and the attackers pour in gasoline and drop a match. The smoke will kill you if the flames don't. A safe room is also a trap if attackers decide to sustain an attack and can defeat your barriers to entry, and if you have no escape route, well, you get the idea.

I have had long discussions with Vietnam vets who were dogmen scouts and tunnel rats. They told me stories of fighting people coming up from underground, hidden rooms, or from trap doors that will haunt you forever. A static defense only works if you can transition to a dynamic defense or counterattack from it. Sitting in a room hoping attackers will give up and move on is simply waiting on a disastrous failure of your structure, and being a sitting duck waiting on a massacre to commence. If you cannot move, you are trapped, by definition.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

I once considered putting a storm shelter type bunker in my back yard. One of the reasons that I didn't was because of how easy it would be to become hopelessly trapped inside of it. If the house is destroyed by a tornado and I'm in that shelter I give 10 to 1 odds that some heavy as heck object will be laying on the exit causing me to live through the storm but trapped.
    Denton and rice paddy daddy like this.

Dykes had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday to answer charges he shot at his neighbors in a dispute last month over a speed bump.
    Now hes got a Failure to Appear Charge to boot.

The Good Cop
    Quote Originally Posted by Verteidiger View Post
    Actually, rice paddy daddy has an excellent point. Soldiers and Marines fighting in Vietnam often faced enemy bunkers, and flamethrowers were the weapon of choice to deploy (along with napalm). The problem was the Vietnamese fighters had tunnel systems that allowed them to escape and live to fight another day. That escape hatch is his point.

Anyone holing up in a bunker like this guy is a sitting duck. Find the vent system, and the attackers pour in gasoline and drop a match. The smoke will kill you if the flames don't. A safe room is also a trap if attackers decide to sustain an attack and can defeat your barriers to entry, and if you have no escape route, well, you get the idea.

I have had long discussions with Vietnam vets who were dogmen scouts and tunnel rats. They told me stories of fighting people coming up from underground, hidden rooms, or from trap doors that will haunt you forever. A static defense only works if you can transition to a dynamic defense or counterattack from it. Sitting in a room hoping attackers will give up and move on is simply waiting on a disastrous failure of your structure, and being a sitting duck waiting on a massacre to commence. If you cannot move, you are trapped, by definition.
    In my case we will simply fade back into the woods around the homestead. And if we are surrounded and ambushed? This is as good a place to die as any, and better than most.
    And like Southerndad, I once considered building a hurricane shelter in the back yard, and dismissed it for exactly the same reason as he.
    AsteroidX likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
    "For Obama so loved the poor he created millions of them."

Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidX View Post
    Now hes got a Failure to Appear Charge to boot.
    I think that will be the least of his worries, seeing as how he now has a murder and a kidnapping charge to boot. Have you ever noticed the list of charges after a murder? They include things like Discharging a Weapon in the City Limits... Can you just see a defendant who beats the murder wrap only to get nailed with that one?
    AsteroidX likes this.

Jackbooted Thug
    Just drove by, on the way to Dothan for a grocery run. Setup is the same, including the media-buzzards on the other side of the highway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads