Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

A thought for newbies ... and some old-timers

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  essdub 
#1 · (Edited)
This might just be the `60s in me talkin' but I seem to capture every opportunity to teach my grand kids about the cool things God does or why growing your own food is good, which snakes are bad snakes etc.
This is a picture of one that was on patrol by my son's chickens. They are excellent climbers.
Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Corn Snake
Plant Botany Tree Wood Twig

And this one keeps the lizards and bite size critters outta my garden.

Snake Organism Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

And this guy (or girl - uncertain which it identifies itself as [insert political ridiculousness]) controls the snake population.

Sky Bird Accipitridae Beak Falcon

Overall this post is not about snakes, but about learning for yourself, and teaching important things to others outside the typical city-living box.

Yesterday, my grand kids had a blast eating strawberries from our backyard, filling paper plates plucking pole beans, and seeing who can find the biggest cucumber.

... Papa reached into their little heads and told them how they can grow their own food and some animals are useful...
Almost instantly they adapted they mindset needed for their own future.
The 4-yr old help me plant the green beans and is so proud that God is helping him with good food. `Cuz Papa told him to work like it depends on you, then pray like it depends on God.
The 11-yr old is getting real good with the BB gun and uses both eye open now. Hits a water bottle at 7 yds nearly every shot.
My 1-yr old, hollars at the Canada Geese when they get too close. LOL And insists we visit the garden as soon as Papa gets home.

Well, maybe it is my 60-something making me ramble on here.

However, in everything you do everyday has an impact on survival.
We had dinner with some friends last week. The father purchased a Glock 26 for home defense.
"I'm extremely scared of that thing" he says.
Perfect! I can help you become confident without worrying about you mimicking an idiot!
He's learning and one day he wants to be self-reliant.

For you newbies, "wanting" to learn is critically important. Living in Asia, I learned a few lifestyle quotes like, "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear."
In Iowa, we woulda said "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make hime drink"

This forum is a great place to learn.

For the old-timers, the more I learn... well ... the more I learn. George Washington once commented after his retreat from Brooklyn (Manhattan), "For people who have succeeded at certain things it is hard for them to see the need to change." He had learned that the residents in Brooklyn were sending messages to the British concerning his placements on the island.

Done with my coffee, time to go to work... in my yard. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Well said! I'm only 30 myself but I've been gardening with my niece's, 6 & 3...they enjoy every minute and they'll go home and tell their mama (my sister) all about how composting and gardening works and the growing process. It really makes me smile.

This week I have been on vacation and my sister has sent me pictures of them going to the house and weeding and picking the garden and feeding the rabbits and chickens. It's rewarding to see the work ethic and knowledge being put into them for their own future use.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Excellent post.
I have had similar conversations with my nephew (he's now 6).
He didn't understand at first why I killed the copperhead in the chicken coop).
Then he didn't understand why I didn't kill the garter snakes, or the corn/rat/king snakes when we found them.
I bought him his first little bow and arrow sets (other than toys) a few weeks ago and He's running through the woods saying"here deer, here deer. " my brother (his dad) and I laughed pretty hard at that.
He says he wants to come to my house to hunt with me so we can eat them.

He saw my garden last year and I had to buy him several tomato plants and a couple small apple trees and strawberry plants for their yard (they live much closer to town).
This year, he's started growing tomatoes and watching for the strawberries to come back(his didn't) all on his own.
An uncle can only stand to be so proud

Shaun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.