Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Should I buy FB Stock or Not???

Tags
fb stock
2K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  8301 
#1 ·
Well i am turning 18 and looking to forward to invest to stock market and the amount of information that i have came across is impeccable and unbelievable. I am huge fan of tech stocks and by looking at the tech stocks i look at Facebook and twitter and looking forward to invest in FB stocks,but the recent scenario has left me in complete haze whether to go for it not.Facebook is just starting to find a way to leverage its other products, including Instagram, Whats App, and its own Messenger. These assets are predicted to help the company's stock prices, only when Facebook monetizes them.

I hope the scenario changes that will help the economy and help me in a great deal.

Source: [spam removed]

#4 ·
The entire market is currently being propped up by unseen forces. There doesn't seem to be a stable sector holding the load, like housing or manufacturing, so it's hard to tell why they are still rising. When this has happened in the past, it was due to some "bubble" in one sector, which inevitably bursts, and causes a drastic downward trend. (recession/crash/etc...)
I would be reluctant to be in this current market with any meaningful amount of wealth.

As for FB in particular, their ship may have sailed as far as stocks go. They were grossly overvalued when they went public, and with recent acquisitions, are only now reaching the point where their value is justified.
You also have to ask yourself about their long-term viability. For ANY tech stock, this is risky. Anyone who owned IBM, Dell, Apple, or Microsoft 25-30 years ago would have one perspective, but anyone who rode the 90's tech bubble roller coaster would have another. You need to look at the base customer that this company serves. What drives their business? Are they fickle? Could they abandon the service with little notice? Would you have enough time to get out before they did?
With an aging community joining, the user base is likely becoming more stable. However, the base as a whole is still largely teens and young adults. Will they stick around, or move on to the next big thing in a year?
It's hard to guess.
I didn't think it would survive this long, yet it's still a thing.

It's your money. Do what you wish. You're the only one that will answer for it. Take time to study their trends, and the company's future plans. If it makes sense to you, go for it.

As a prepper, I just can't give an outright "yes" to any market investing when I see an economy that can't sustain growth, yet "growth" is what we're being shown.

#5 ·
I would not FB or Twitter or any other Lost In Web-Space tech stock. FB is a fad that may be pas-say by tomorrow, when something bigger and better comes out. I would stick to stocks on the S&P 500 or mutual funds made up of many stocks, to start out. You are young and have time for slower and stronger growth over time.

Now Warren Buffet just dumped $1B into Apple stock, so something may happening there. Apple is at the lower end right now, so he may have saw it as a bargain.

#6 · (Edited)
Do yourself a favor and read the article at CNN Money, there was a time when AOL ruled the web, it ruled everything. Where is it now? (Verizon bought it.)
If you want to buy stock, get a bucket load of Ford and IBM. I guarantee you, those stocks will go up and never down, not for long anyways.
IBM is a big, big tech stock and it is probably on firmer than any other one.
AOL and Time Warner to merge - Jan. 10, 2000

#7 · (Edited)
If you buy stocks, buy into safe stocks right now. Large companies like what MisterMills said, Ford, IBM, stuff like that. Wait till you have more experience with trading and wait till what happens in the election, maybe wait a little longer than that before you look into higher risk stocks like FB or Twitter. Those things come and go.

Edit: I may have messed up when I bought stock in Chesapeake. My GE stock has done ok I guess. But the oil stock went down the tube.

#9 · (Edited)
Right now I'm buying gold and silver I can hold on my hand (safe) with extra cash. I was reinvesting my stock dividends in more stock. I changed that so they now go into gold/silver. I gotta say the way things are going I have the most faith in what I can physically hold. The government wont be propping up the market much longer and when it stops the results will be ugly.

Reactions: A Watchman
#12 ·
Well i am turning 18 and looking to forward to invest to stock market and the amount of information that i have came across is impeccable and unbelievable. I am huge fan of tech stocks and by looking at the tech stocks i look at Facebook and twitter and looking forward to invest in FB stocks,but the recent scenario has left me in complete haze whether to go for it not.Facebook is just starting to find a way to leverage its other products, including Instagram, Whats App, and its own Messenger. These assets are predicted to help the company's stock prices, only when Facebook monetizes them.

I hope the scenario changes that will help the economy and help me in a great deal.

Source: FB Stock
Buy Apple. Warren Buffet snagged a billioin of it day before yesterday. He must know something we dont.

#13 ·
You ask this question on a prepper board? Ehhhhhh

If you are who you say you are, 18, Invest in an education that's worth a crap, (Something I did not do), or 5 acres bordering national forest land (Something I did do. Although at 26, and no I do not have that piece now).

You are not going to know jack about the stock market to get jack out of it for a long time. For you, the lottery works just as well. Get some property. Keep it. I bought that when I was young, and it always turned out good. 5-10 years, good money, and at different times, paid for some awesome beer soaked travel the world long time off. You could do it differently and just keep it.

You ain't gonna do dukey in the stock market without an MBA from someplace like Harvard and the connections it gives you. Just going to get broker at 18, and have no Tang, No beer, and most importantly, no money.

Work on the foundation first. You're jumping ahead. Learn more. A lot more.

#16 ·
Do some due diligence. You obviously haven't due to your love affair with "tech"....

Twitter has taken a big hit over the last few months. There are political ramifications that show that conservatives are having their account deleted or suspended on a regular basis. The stock is down and likely to go further. People are getting tired of Twitter. It was a fad that is dying and likely to be gone in a few years.

Zuckerberg of FaceTime is as lefty as you can get. He supports anything that is progressive and liberal. Are you on that side? Great....invest your heart away... But if you are a Patriot....you will stay as far away from Facebook as you possibly can...and that means with a personal account as well, because it is cleat that Z'man would be happy to share data on you with a liberal government if asked.

As others have said, there is a correction in the market coming soon. If you monitor the markets, you will glean that all the exchanges have been virtually flat for many months. There is no clear direction, and nothing on the horizon that portends an improvement in our economy.

Most astute investors are in a HOLD position right now with very few exceptions. Many have gone completely to cash to wait out what may be coming. I suggest you hold on to your cash for awhile until we see what shakes out.

#17 ·
In all honesty, it has been proven that purchasing low risk moderate dividend stocks lead to the most stable and best portfolio over time. Being 18 it is advisable that you subscribe to "The Money Paper" and learn how to make small investments without any brokerage fees in Direct Reinvestment Programs offered by many Corps/Companies. Purchasing a single share will allow you the Company Sponsored investment opportunities afforded Employees. You have time, not boatloads of Republic Credits, on your side. Choose Wisely and make your money earn the most it can. JMHO. Do a little research.

#18 ·
If you have the extra money maybe go for it. I remember it first open at what around 25$? I remember telling my dad to invest in some. He passed and now its at $116 right now? lol.

I am 31 years old, I remember we had a class in middle school on the stock market, They gave us 20k of fake money. I remember Buying everything in amazon and yahoo under 10$ a share lol. Once again I told my dad and he thought I was nuts. Now to this day once in a great while he tells me I could be Retired now if I took your advise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.