Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

RVs & Prepping

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  MaterielGeneral 
#1 ·
Any members here into Motorhoming / RV'ing ?
And if so what considerations do you take when you're away from all that you've worked to prepare for yourself "In case" ?
I keep weapons & ammo & hand held CB's & HAM / 2ways , hand powered flashlights & a mountain pack with slings & mag carriers.
But given the fresh water holding tanks & on board generator (that's connected to the vehicles 80gal fuel tank) , what do you guys always either keep in your RV or take with you.
Just in case ?!?

We prefer to stay out at primitive locations but enjoy the RV parks over a camp ground.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's ours...though it's for sale because we are buying land. It's an expandable hardsided travel trailer. I and my wife both CC most of the time so we're pretty well protected. I also have with us a small aluminum baseball bat. We all have our backpacks that are always equipped for an overnight in the woods including a lightweight tent. Always have a camp knife and a few hatchets. I have 3 LED flashlights that seem to run forever once charged. Also have 2 LED lanterns. Plus the usual fishing poles,games and a couple sling shots.

Here's where I am weak...communication. We have cell phones but where we camp there's no reception. I have no shortwave experience. About the only comms we have up there are hand held CB walkie talkies.

Vehicle Snow Window Sky Tire

#5 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I don't have a RV ,,,, but I do have a cabin tent ,,,,, I can set it up in 20 mins ,,, even in my chair ,,,,,, that I keep in my jeep in a locked box I made in the back of the jeep ,,,,, I keep all the things I need if I am stuck on the road over nite ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#7 ·
We have a 34 ft travel trailer , but to use it for a bug out would probably not work very well, depending on traffic of course, If s@&t hit the fan while we are camping, that would work out ok, we carry some means of self defense, and stores of food and water, we are not park campers, we prefer primitive as much as possible, have solar capability to keep batteries charged, of course eventually we would have to resupply, but depending how bad it gets, we can hunt and fish, my wife and I discuss scenarios a lot, there are many variables to take into account, if you're camping with other like minded people, that's better, safety in numbers.

#8 ·
We have a big farm in the middle of nowhere. I thought of building a cabin on it but decided I liked the self contained idea of a travel trailer more. I bought a 26' camper and a generator. When it's on the farm it is loaded with food, water, guns, ammo etc. From a survival perspective it's pretty handy but from a recreational point of view it rocks.

#9 ·

Custom built, 1995 E350, just under 15,000 miles on it.

Two Odyssey chassis batteries (200Ah total), Four Odyssey house batteries (500Ah total), 300W solar, 4KW generator, 2KW PSW Inverter.

25 Gal fresh water tank, 25 gal black and grey water tanks, Thetford head, separate shower, Full size bed, Fridge/Freezer (AC/DC/LPG), 3 burner stove/oven.

28" HD video with 6TB of media on board, motion detector lighting on all four sides, all LED interior lighting.

Comms include a Kenwood TS-2000X (160 meters through 1.2GHz), Auto-Tune Screwdriver antenna (with a complete spare in storage), Six VHF/UHF handhelds with chargers and spare batteries, Kenwood TKR-820 50W UHF repeater with internal cans and a Diamond X50 antenna on a telescopic mast. Two laptops with programming cables and software.

No weapons stored in the vehicle, but a good supply of 22LR, 9mm, 45Auto, 5.56mm and 12ga ammo in locked containers.

Every time we park it, the gas and fresh water are full and the holding tanks are empty.

60 days of food in stores (Canned, Freeze Dried, etc) Additional 20 gallons of fresh water in containers, a travel Berkey system to purify additional water.

And most importantly.... lotsa beer, a fully stocked bar (with 5 different single malt scotch choices) and a 200 stick humidor.

Reactions: darsk20
#15 ·
It was actually built by the original owner... He bought the truck new in 1995 and it spent more than a decade in his barn while he did the conversion. LOTS of custom fabrication involved. His plan was to have it completed in time for retirement, then he and his wife would roam around the country. Unfortunately, his wife passed shortly before retirement time and he no longer wanted the vehicle. He sold it to his boss to gut and turn into a job truck, but his boss didn't have the heart, so he traded it toward a new truck at a Ford dealership in Ipswich, MA, which is where we saw it as we were looking for a bus to convert (and clams to eat). The dealership had no idea what to do with it, so they sold it for what they had into it, which was the trade value plus 7 new michelin tires, new belts, hoses, front end bushings, etc. (all the stuff that rots away with time). When we bought it there were only 5,200 miles on it. We added all the electronics, Odyssey batteries, solar, comms, generator, and a few other things... but functionally it was ready to go.

Reactions: 6811 and darsk20
#16 ·
I used to have a camper but got rid of it cause I now have 2 BOL's one we visit frequently and I have had since I was like 15 the other I don't talk about much it is way out there no electricity no TV no cell service ect. they only way to get to it is walk.
as far as not keep a gun in the camper do to visiting national parks -WTF do you really think anyone is going to care if you have to use it in an emergency? I mean really at the most the ranger will say cool thanks for helping out.

#17 ·
I want to go with a popup camper,it's small,light,easy to set up. Quite roomy inside with nice features like an inside bathroom,hot water,furnace. Lower costs than a regular camper. That's my dream.

#18 · (Edited)
We certainly have no plans to use our Motorhome as a means to escape any adverse situation.
But I was wondering, if a Ferguson type event or extended power outage like when the Deratio winds knocked out power for up 21 days a couple years ago, what would you want or what do you guys pack so as to be prepared if you were away from home and all your supplies?
I mean for those of us who travel this way we tend to have clothes & supplies for our planned excursion but what do you guys pack or keep with the RV in addition to the trips supplies.
I know what I have on hand but it's easy to focus on solutions from a "direct action" perspective .
My wife on the other hand is the one who brings / hoards toilet paper, soap & things my brain has lept over.
Tools, ammo, communications equipment, first aid supplies , extra oil & filters for the generator & vehicles motor are the type of items I automatically focus on first.
It's nice to have a wife who thinks differently, who looks at issues from a different perspective.
Less gets missed that way but I figured I'd ask here and draw on the brains of all of you.
If two heads are better than one then the more the merrier !

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.