Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

275 ibc tote question

25K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  sideKahr 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how much a 275 ibc tote weight is full of water?

#2 ·
#11 ·
You are correct MT, I was using 8 lbs per gallon as an approximate.

The Weight of Water
Pounds Grams Kilograms
Cubic cm. 0.002205 1 0.001
Cubic inch 0.036127 16.387064 0.0163871
Liter 2.204684 1000.028 1.000028
Gallon 8.345404 3785.4118 3.7854118
Cubic foot 62.42796 28316.847 28.316847

#12 ·
Hello, I am new here. I did use search and this is the only post I saw for the totes. My brother gave me a brand new tote and cage from his work place. I want to use it for long term water storage. It is made of the whitish plastic. I have chickens and my water system them has fresh city water going into it daily and it grows algae. I am certain if I put water in this tote it will also grow algae. It is outside in daylight. I have watched videos on You Tube, I have read articles on Google. I have not found anything that specifically addresses my intended use in it's location outside in the sunlight of South Alabama. If I need to start a ne post let me know and I will. Just looking for help.

#14 ·
It is a food grade container. I will fill it with city water. I know in this sunlight it will grow algae sooner or later. Most of what I have read does not address totes and outdoor storage. I have read about using chlorine but it breaks down in light quickly, I have also read about using pool shock/sodium hypochlorite. I figured I would ask here because I know someone is doing exactly what I want to do.

#16 ·
Hi, @Wildrat. Welcome to the forum.

You're right; if you store that tote in sunlight algae will grow. If you treat it with enough chlorine to stop algae growth, you really shouldn't drink it without filtration or boiling to drive off the chlorine. I wouldn't drink it at all if you treat it with pool shock.

Keeping it indoors is best. Would you be willing to paint it black? I'd suggest something really thick like automobile rust proofing.

Good luck!

#17 ·
Yes, I had thought of painting it black and trying to get it near the shaded side of the house. If after painting and some type of shelter from the light what should I treat the water inside with, and if using bleach how often since the sun is going to kill it also. I do have filters for making bad water good.

#20 ·
I'm pretty sure mine will grow algae based on the 40 gallon barrel I use for my auto chicken watering device. Then again if I am adding chlorine every now and then it may not, plus if I run some water out, kinda like water exchanges in an aquarium, this may also help with the algae. I still have time, the electoral college has not voted yet. LOL Yes, my cousins are bombarding my Facebook with the electoral college stuff now. LOL Also Nibiru orbit has been delayed by a sudden solar snowstorm, and the plows can't clear the way for another year. LOL Crazy world we live in. LOL

#24 ·
@Wildrat first pull your tote out of the cage enclosure. Then with a rag apply a paint prep that will make the surface of the plastic tacky as the plastic is fairly smooth. Or as @sideKhar suggested rough the surface with sandpaper. then apply your black paint. Once dry you can put it back in the metal "cage". The black paint will prevent algae growth. Good luck with your project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.