Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Information about wax

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  SOCOM42 
#1 ·
What do you guys know about wax? Is it cheaper to buy wax as part of my preps? Should I buy candles or bricks of parafin wax? What is the cheapest source of wax? How would I make wax, if there was no wax available?

Basically, if you know something about wax, please share it here.

#3 · (Edited)
Parrafin wax is a petroleum product, you can purchase it in blocks. Beeswax is, as it sounds like, a product of bees, and is edible. Beeswax is far and away the superior fuel. Churches use beeswax candles because they burn without smoking. Carnauba wax is extracted from palm trees, very expensive. There are many types of synthetic micro-crystalline wax, of various hardnesses, liquid and solid, for commercial and industrial use.

You would need a refinery to make paraffin wax. I'm guessing you know how to obtain beeswax.

#7 · (Edited)
Slippy, if you have intimate knowledge about Brazilian waxes, I don't think I can associate with you anymore.

For now, I just buy candles.
Don't waste your money on those big "8 hour" candles. They are more expensive than they're worth most of the time.
I buy tealight candles for super cheap. You can get a bag of 200 for like $2.
They're more portable, more stable, and easier to manage than stick candles.
Plus, you can group a few together under a terracotta pot for a small room heater.

#8 ·
A trip to the second hand stores or those "dollar" stores will get you more candles for you dollar than buying solid paraffin blocks. I buy junk candles and then melt them down for wax. It can be used in casting, candle making, fire starters and a host of other things.

Reactions: dwight55
#9 ·
just buy a supply of candles from one of cheap sources mentioned .... however, put candle use wayyyyy down on that emergency lighting list - fire is going to be one of those inherit dangers during a SHTF - especially around kids ..... better off stocking up on lamp oil, kerosene, LP, white gas and plenty of battery power ....

#16 ·
I like Mad Trappers idea, . . . but I also like the idea of going to Harbor Freight, . . . you can search on line for "Solar Lights".

Bring them home, . . . stick em in a box in the storage area, . . . when the stuff hits the fan, . . . break em out, . . . put em in service.

I want to do this as I then won't have to worry about a flame or fire, . . . and will have almost a permanent source of light.

I would hope that I am correct in my thinking that any big SHTF event will be "fixed" at the most in 2 to 4 years, . . . electricity back on line, . . . etc.

I can get by with solar power for that long, . . . and can adapt something else afterwards if needed, . . . at least that is the current "plan".

May God bless,
Dwight

#18 · (Edited)
If you store any type of vegtable oil, they have an expiration date.
Save the expired oils and use them in a floating wick lamp or some other similar configuration.
You can buy unfiltered beeswax from local keepers pretty cheap and make your own candles.
You can filter it yourself pouring it through cheese cloth after melting.
As said it is edible.
I wonder if it could be used to preserve food like beef strips by dipping the jerky in it ?
No packaging to remove, just eat away!
IMO beeswax is the longest burning for candles.

#21 · (Edited)
No horse? We do 40 acres.

Uesd to fish Quabbin and known some hicks from bookfieild

Gandpa had farm and grew 11 children, Mom Dad and those uncles and aunts taught me well.

Miiddle Ma is much less worse than Bastun or Sringfield, but west of Ct river smells a lot better

Oh yes, north of Ma now.

People don't understand, the northwest part of that state, Ma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.