Boycott or not.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Boycott or not.

This is a discussion on Boycott or not. within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Another thread and something in the news makes me wonder. Do boycotts really work anymore? They do not have an impact that longshoremen, garbage men ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Boycott or not.

Boycott or not.

Another thread and something in the news makes me wonder.
    Do boycotts really work anymore?
    They do not have an impact that longshoremen, garbage men strikes have.
    Are business really concerned if someone like a CCW and a moral church member avoid patronizing a business?

The gay community are boycotting Dolce & Gabbana (whoever that is).
    Years ago the So. Baptist called for a boycott of Disney... yes, well, there ba-ack. If you want to boycott someone like Disney avoid gay days in Orlando https://www.gaydays.com/Featured/gay...ando-2014.html conveniently scheduled at the beginning of summer vacation.

Really, this is not about gay stuff.

But, honestly, beyond a small town boutique, are boycotts effective?

The media is not going to give free air time to a bunch of gun-toters a voice about signs on windows.
    Local theaters will not notice that Liam Neeson movies declining sales, while the latest raunch and haunt movies are still bringing the youth to the movies.

Personally, we have "boycotted" Wal-Mart since the 90s... they never knew it. .
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

The Good Cop

At the end of the day we have to live with ourselves. With our own world view, morals, and ethics.
    Whether or not I personally boycott something usually makes no difference in a companies bottom line.
    Case in point: as a military history enthusiast who specializes in WWII, I flat out refuse to buy a Japanese vehicle. Yes, I know Toyota pickups are assembled in Tennessee, but for me it is a matter of choice. I also understand that my actions have absolutely no affect on Toyota's bottom line.
    That said, there are times that group action can bring results. Remember a few years ago the gay people had a beef with Chick Fil A's owner because he was religious? And a reverse boycott of tens of thousands of people who bought Chick Fil A food? Remember the lines of people waiting at the restaraunts around the country?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Good example, RPD, I was one of those that intentionally ate at Chik-Fil-A during that time.
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

People vote individually with their feet every day. Some one will not do businesses with you if they do not like you, your service/product, employees or policies. Organized boycotts are a mixed bag for all the above reasons.
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Businesses do listen. But I guess it takes enough voices to rise above the din of the usual. Yesterday I got the surprise of my life with respect to a company listening. A month ago my electric provider (a coop) sent me an email that they had set up a complete website making it easier for billing,etc. Since it is a coop, I figured saving a few cents by not having them mail a bill and so would be in my best interest. So I went on line and signed up, put in my user name and a password just before the billing cycle. The day bills are available, I can't get in to the site. So frustrated I gave up and waited until this billing cycle to try again. Still no go. Had the web site send me a new password which I finally found in my spam. Got into the site fine, changed password and total shutdown again. Called IT help line. The young guy was helpful, got me in, and this time as I'm changing password, a warning pops up, "password too long". I had 12 characters. The IT guy says, only ten characters. In this day and age of hacking, they only want 1 to 10 characters, and none of them could be "specials". I explained my concerns and asked if he could completely remove my info, which he did. So yesterday the IT guys calls back, says he went to his boss, told him what I said. Told the boss he agreed with me wholeheartedly. They changed the password requirement. Starting now, all new passwords must be minimum of 10 to 15 characters, and can use "specials". They will email all the old customers of the change and that they must comply within 2 months.
    Somebody actually listened!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if we could just get that to happen in DC.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

Banned

An effective boycott can still make a difference. Nowadays, that is more likely to happen through social media than from a union press release.
    paraquack, Denton and CWOLDOJAX like this.

Krogers was getting pressure from some gun grabbing group to ban firearms in their stores and gun owners responded by writing the store and threatening to boycott them if they did. Krogers decided to go with allowing lawful CC and Open Carry people to continue to be allowed to bring their firearms into their stores and their sales actually went up. Draw you own conclusions.
    Denton and kevincali like this.

Super Moderator

Do I boycott? Yes, if you want to call it that. Why should I put money into the pockets of corporations who are anti-gun or taking some other social stance I deem to be bad for the health of our culture? To me, it seems a little suicidal.
    Big Country1, Slippy and CWOLDOJAX like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Yes

last year a Christian charity (helps children overseas) announced that they would accept/support gay marriages...etc etc

within 72 hours they had lost MILLIONS in monthly donor support...so much so they sent out letters and started making phone calls explaining they had reversed the decisions

EDIT - and it was not a planned protest it was just a large number of folks on their own saying no
    CWOLDOJAX and Denton like this.

Myself I watch for places that say NO FIREARMS ALLOWED,and I stay away from spending my money in their places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links