How do you calculate the LENGTH of your food - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How do you calculate the LENGTH of your food

This is a discussion on How do you calculate the LENGTH of your food within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'd like to interject a small consideration for all of you here. Research macro nutrients. Meals are not just calories per day, but macro nutrients ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How do you calculate the LENGTH of your food

I'd like to interject a small consideration for all of you here. Research macro nutrients. Meals are not just calories per day, but macro nutrients per day. This will give you a real understanding of what you actually need in your diet to both be, and stay, healthy
    Maine-Marine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    How do you calculate how long YOUR food will last?
    I never actually have calculated it. I suppose I probably should, but I haven't. I know, for example, that I have 6 buckets of rolled oats. My wife eats oatmeal every morning for breakfast and a bucket lasts her at least 3 months, so that would mean 18 months worth of breakfasts for her.

I have 18 buckets of hard red winter wheat, well 17 1/2 now since we opened one, but I have no idea how long that will last us. A while, quite a while, since there are only 2 of us. I've got 18 buckets of dehydrated potatoes. Then there are the beans, and… yadda yadda yadda.

I have no good answer, other than "Dunno".
    Maine-Marine likes this.

I went with a daily menu giving us a 2500 to 3000 calories per day. I doubt we would use that much at first because we will be bugging in and be in hiding. I have 6 weeks of living high on the hog (as they say) for a localized disaster, which can be augmented with my little garden. Have about another 9 months of dried foods I've packed in aluminized Mylar bags. So, I still have a ways to go.
    Maine-Marine and Arklatex like this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My count is not very accurate. I just count a can as a serving and a cup of dry rice or beans as two servings.

Here is an excellent excel worksheet: Step 3: Three Month Food Supply

You figure out your menu for 90 days, input it by each food item and it will tell you what you need or don't need. There is directions on the web page and a video showing you how it works. I really like it.
    Slippy and Arklatex like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
    I took a morning a while back and calculated the calories I had in my long term storage foods and figured at 2000 calories per person/day.

When I use something I now simply replace it with a similar item thus maintaining the calorie count in my long term food storage.
    I use the same method. I know the actual calorie intake will be higher since I do not count food we can, dehydrate, grow, or hunt.

I have a spread sheet that I inventory my preps with.
    The spread sheet calculates [{servings x cals per serving} / 1800 cal per day / 5 persons] = #of days of rations for a group of 5
    Last edited by Box of frogs; 03-02-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    Arklatex likes this.
    Hell, anybody can do that. Hold my beer I'll prove it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links