Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Opening day deer hunt

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  James m 
#1 ·
Sunrise opening day Deer season. I allow open hunting on my land so just before sun up a few show up heading out. Very light dusting of snow on the ground air full of ice mist. Cold and windy but they won't let that stop them.
Dog is going nuts he does not understand why we are not going out and get these people. Opening day it is best to keep larger dogs in the house.
Opening day in Wisconsin is a big part of life for many, one of the reasons I allow open hunting. I understand how big a deal it is. Land people can hunt on is drying up fast. Bought up by Madison liberals that want all hunting banded.
We have to many Deer in this part of the State due to the DNR we have more here now than before the State was settled. They do a lot of damage to trees and over population causes things like mad cow to spread.
Many here wait all year for this day they plan for it. I have known people to quit a job because they could not get off on opening day. Some companies even shut down for it.
I have given up sport hunting but I wish them luck

#3 ·
Opening day here too. Some of my neighbors are hunting but no shots fired yet that I've heard. Deer population is way too high here and the road kills are out of control so I hope the season is successful. The rut won't occur here until January but we have a buck a day limit and a doe per day in addition. Still too many deer.

#4 ·
Based on how many I saw stacked up by the side of the road along I-94 and I-90 going to and from Chicago a couple weeks ago, you guys DEFINITELY need to thin the heard. Around Tomah, they were literally stacked 2 and 3 deep in places! Thanks for letting them hunt your land Smitty!

#9 · (Edited)
The Roads look like a war zone with dead deer . Years of what amounts to anit hunting DNR personal running the show have lead to this. The DNR like most State government agencies have been take over by Liberals . My field that runs along Highway 16 always has dead deer from road kill. And of course the road way has car parts along it.
Result of my last Deer hunt. Dead Deer , totaled bike Broken bones
A 1000 pound HD will kill a big Deer at 60 mpg with no problem, it is however costly and hurts. Shot gun or rifle is more cost effective
Frame broken in two places Body broken in 3 places

Reactions: Slippy
#10 · (Edited)
Problem around my area is all the new homes. Big farms are split up and sold into 5,10 or 20 acres lots. So the local 300-400 acre farm is now Woodland Estates. Of course no one can hunt and the deer herd goes through the roof. Living off all the new gardens, flowers, little trees and back yard deer feeders.

Other neighbor shut his land to hunting, 500 acres plus. Been a neighborhood hotspot for years open to close friends and neighbors. He is trying to manage his land for big bucks for himself and one boy, trophy bucks only, no does will be killed. Trying to get on one of the big deer hunting shows. Films everything, trail cam pictures every day. Never shoots a darn thing, not big enough yet.

BUT his land has become a game preserve. All the deer in the area know to head over to the preserve once the shooting starts. Cars are hitting deer year round, other neighboring farms are getting destroyed because of the deer population. Drive around his property at night and 10-20 deer in every field. I've personally counted over a 100 one night. But the guy refuses to allow any hunting or take responsibility for any damage. He just can't understand how he's the main cause of the problems around here. It's my land and it's none of your business, he says. What can a guy do??

#11 ·
We don't allow open hunting on our land, WAY too many problems in the past for me to ever do that. We've been getting hunted on anyway, found a tree stand right in the middle of our place today, I mean RIGHT in the middle of my land, nowhere near any of the fences (which are all marked No Tresspassing. I don't like the idea of people wandering around my land with high powered rifles.

If it works good for you, more power to you!

#12 ·
Over 35 years I have had no problems with hunters or the snowmobile trail . Had issues with some tree huggers coming on my land without asking and trying to remove plants they did not like and plant some native junk. I think they are still running.
I had one person inform me ATV's were not allowed on Snowmobile trails, he was correct except I was on my land he understood no problems. Most of the people around here have been here forever. Not like a lot of places. They pretty much follow basic rules.
When the land near me was sold they stopped the snowmobile trail for crossing, it was a big problem for them. The club approached me about running all the way across mine to avoid the other route. I was reluctant at first but all these years latter they still are outstanding stewards of the land and the trails.

#15 ·
Over 35 years I have had no problems with hunters or the snowmobile trail .
We've had all kinds of problems. A couple years ago, a friend of mine leased his land to some people from the city, just for deer season. They were going out to set up their stands before deer season started, headed out on their ATV's. After about an hour, my friend got a call from his neighbor out back that he needed to go out to the back 40 where he was grazing 100 head of cattle. The neighbor said "Drop whatever you are doing and just get out there!"

My friend and his wife hopped in the work truck and drove out there, only to see that the three hunters on their ATV's had decided that it was really funny to chase cattle with four wheelers, and get them all running hard as a herd...

So these idiots were whipping a herd of cattle up to a frenzy by chasing them around the pasture.

In case any of you don't know cattle, here's the thing about them. They are not that hard to get running, but they are VERY VERY hard to STOP from running... and that running is likely to include going right through every fence within 5 miles of the farm, breaking the legs of half of them in the process....

So here's my friend, watching these 3 chase around a good chunk of his money (100 head @ about $100 per cwt at about 1,000 pounds is in the neighborhood of $100,000 on the hoof) tearing up his pasture and threatening his fences).

OR... what happened around here this last week (in my area)... group of guest hunters were out driving deer out of a draw (never a good idea to start with) when a deer was startled up. The deer was running and the hunter blasted away at it as the deer ran. Turns out another member of the hunting party was on the OTHER side of the deer... yes, these people set it up so that the deer would be between the shooter and other people... and you can guess what happened, it wasn't good.

Last I heard the guy was still alive, but he got airlifted out to a regional hospital.

I used to work as a person checking in deer (back when each deer had to be checked in at a station). I remember one buck that had 17 bullet holes. I asked the guy what on earth happened, and he said "I thought I had killed him, but he just kept thrashing so I shot him a lot"

Yeah, no thanks. Not my dance.

#13 ·
I havn't had much time for hunting this year, too busy with work and life to enjoy life. I only hunt with my flintlock rifle. It is a custom made reproduction from the 1770's, 44" swamped octogan barrel, sliding wood patch box. Beautifel gun. I only use black powder and patched round ball. Kinda makes me feel connected to our past when I soot a deer with it.

#14 ·
We are members of the Browns Creek Land Owners Assoc. Only club members are allowed to hunt on our property, and the other
properties in the Association.
They started today. Some run dogs, some "still" hunt.
One of our neighbors shot a buck today. We also discourage hunting doe, but there are many around who will shoot anything!

#16 ·
I don't know where to put this. About fifteen minutes ago there were about five deer out back. I tried to take a picture but it didn't turn out too good. You can see a green spot in the middle which is the eyes.

One of them tried to attack me when I was getting out of my truck. They were on the left and a small one ran across to the right and started coming at me. The buggers won't leave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.