Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Liberal preppers vs ....well...the rest of us.

9K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  tinkerhell 
#1 ·
Much of the prepping talk around here is on the point of view of what we as preppers should be doing. We talk about protecting ourselves from mobs, gangs, and government that might fall to corruption.

But what about the other civilians in our community? Some of them are very liberal. Some of them are card carrying liberals. Some of them will hate and undermine everything that we are doing.

HOWEVER, we should not assume that none of them are preppers. That would be reckless of us to assume that only friendlies are prepping, correct?

wow, that kind of opens up a lot of new thoughts, right?

What will liberal preppers do different than myself? How will their actions affect mine? What kind of conniving evil schemes are they plotting that might benefit them greatly and possibly screw me up in the process? What sort of counter preps, should I be considering?

If I could understand them better, than I could be better prepared, yes?

I guess "I am saying, Please help me understand them better.

See less See more
#2 ·
Two of our best friends are as liberal as it gets (They spent the summer on a march across the nation for climate change awareness) and yet they are preppers.

They prep because they are concerned about the climate turning south on us in a hurry. They honestly believe we are in the last 20 years of quickly deteriorating livability. I'm not here to argue the point, I am just saying what they believe. They are as liberal as you can get, but they are also people of good character... they don't lie, they don't cheat, they don't steal, and they don't demagogue.

Our area also has a commune and a nationally known ecovillage built around sustainable living. They are preppers without even knowing it, and take liberal to a whole new level.

I am a card-carrying Libertarian myself (not one of those phony-ass self-proclaimed conservatives pretending to be Libertarians like Rand Paul), so I am half-liberal. I believe that we should solve our problems keeping first in mind that whatever solution we come up with should enhance our freedoms, not restrict them....

#7 ·
Taken from a study student news daily...

Liberals believe in government action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all. It is the duty of the government to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve problems.

Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals. Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

Prepping would be the individual solving a possible problem.... so those that claim "liberal" may actually need to be educated to the doctrine they believe they are subscribed to.

#10 ·
If you just listen to the news and don't actually mix with people who don't agree with you all of the time you can really get "locked in" on one viewpoint.

It's like the resonant feedback that eventually tore apart the Tacoma Narrows bridge years ago, only mentally.

Not all liberals are "the government will fix everything" people... they may think that the best answer is for "sharing" of resources, but until that happens they realize they are on their own.

SO... they share their OWN resources, they form co-ops with each other to provide services/tools/skills they don't have. They use barter because it's a low-impact way of getting something done. They choose to be sustainable because they believe it will make the world a better place to live, and in doing so they stop buying food shipped half way around the world, instead relying on what they and their neighbors grow in their back yards.

There are different kinds of liberals, and if you go by what's on TV or what those idiot conservatives blowhards on the radio spout day-in, day-out then yes, all liberals are idiots.

Here's a hint though, I've been saying it over and over.

THE MEDIA LIES.

Please understand that, please take that to heart from a man who has worked in the media for 30+ years...

THEY LIE... ALL OF THEM. EVERY ONE.

That includes the talk show hosts, the news reporters, the editors, all of them. They fit the facts to serve their agenda.

Free your minds my friends, free your life of them. There's a lot of really amazing people out there who just plain have a different opinion that you do, or that I do... and, you know, if you listen to what they say some of it actually makes a lot of sense (at least from their point of view, I am not saying I agree with it... it just makes sense to them, it's not all just idiocy).

When I hear somebody in the media say "everybody who is a Democrat/Republican/Conservative/Liberal/Whatever is an idiot" I know that I can safely discount anything that comes out of this person's mouth because THEY are LIAR and probably an idiot as well.

There's a reason I don't listen to the news, it's all a pack of lies designed for one purpose... to sell you something. Period. There's a reason I don't listen to those blowhards on the radio, they LIE to sell you something.

Your mileage may vary.

#11 ·
If you just listen to the news and don't actually mix with people who don't agree with you all of the time you can really get "locked in" on one viewpoint.

It's like the resonant feedback that eventually tore apart the Tacoma Narrows bridge years ago, only mentally.

Not all liberals are "the government will fix everything" people... they may think that the best answer is for "sharing" of resources, but until that happens they realize they are on their own.

SO... they share their OWN resources, they form co-ops with each other to provide services/tools/skills they don't have. They use barter because it's a low-impact way of getting something done. They choose to be sustainable because they believe it will make the world a better place to live, and in doing so they stop buying food shipped half way around the world, instead relying on what they and their neighbors grow in their back yards.

There are different kinds of liberals, and if you go by what's on TV or what those idiot conservatives blowhards on the radio spout day-in, day-out then yes, all liberals are idiots.

Here's a hint though, I've been saying it over and over.

THE MEDIA LIES.

Please understand that, please take that to heart from a man who has worked in the media for 30+ years...

THEY LIE... ALL OF THEM. EVERY ONE.

That includes the talk show hosts, the news reporters, the editors, all of them. They fit the facts to serve their agenda.

Free your minds my friends, free your life of them. There's a lot of really amazing people out there who just plain have a different opinion that you do, or that I do... and, you know, if you listen to what they say some of it actually makes a lot of sense (at least from their point of view, I am not saying I agree with it... it just makes sense to them, it's not all just idiocy).

When I hear somebody in the media say "everybody who is a Democrat/Republican/Conservative/Liberal/Whatever is an idiot" I know that I can safely discount anything that comes out of this person's mouth because THEY are LIAR and probably an idiot as well.

There's a reason I don't listen to the news, it's all a pack of lies designed for one purpose... to sell you something. Period. There's a reason I don't listen to those blowhards on the radio, they LIE to sell you something.

Your mileage may vary.
THIS!!! Good to see a level headed, rational person around here!! hehe
I'm in love!!

Reactions: Slippy
#12 ·
I ask this seriously Mishie, (I think you and I are "friends" and we both laugh pretty hard at the same stuff...we generally appreciate much of the same humor etc, but I think we are on opposite ends of certain "surface type" politics)

So again, not being a smart ass I'm serious, what are your motivations in becoming prepared?

#14 ·
It's all good, babe!! People can ask me anything they want. ;) (You might not get the answer you want. hehe)

Why do I want to be prepared? I would say mostly from the fear of natural disasters (and maybe a zombie apocalypse...hehe) . For instance, the snow storm in Buffalo could of easily been where I live. I want to have extra supplies to sustain a comfortable life till the emergency is over. I also have fears about the two nuke plants that are within 3 hours of me. Terrorist attacks? In those cases I would possibly have to leave my house, a long with tons of other people. I would like to think I'm more prepared than most of the people I know in the real world. WHY?? Because I love my family. ;)

I also prep because I like being my own source of food. I grow a great deal of our foods in the warmer months. I like the idea of knowing exactly what I'm eating. ;)

Now as far as our differences in politics...I fight both sides of the line trying to find some kind of truth. I'm never going to be someone that comes on here and just agrees to agree. If someone comes on here spouting off...I will probably try to discredit them if my own research on the matter differs. In the end, I'm looking for the truth, not just someone throwing FOXNews talking points at me. lol

LOVE!!

#13 ·
I prep for my family and community because i really believe no one can survive a shtf issue without the knowledge of rebuilding some sort of community,with some sort of leaders to help guide things and help others who for some reason can't like my friend who lost both legs to i.e.d in Iraq. I dont believe in handouts to the lazy but i believe goverment has a responsibility to the disabled and children so i guess im liberal to a point.and I have no plans to undermine any ones prepping

#17 ·
Being Liberal's they won't mind a bit when someone else takes all their stuff.

#23 ·
One liberal that I have talked to about a SHTF, a younger generation family member, told me that if it should happen, one of the first thing that the government would have to do is go around to everyone who has "more then they need" and take it from them in order to redistribute it to those who need it. She also informed me that all firearms would have to be turned in so that the government could use them for forming local militias to provide for the common defense of the local community. I asked her what if I didn't want to give up my personal property, she smugly replied that I would have to.

She has thought about and her answer is to take from those who have it and give it to someone who doesn't. I suspect that in her mind she will be one of the ones who decides who gets what. After talking to her I went home and started loading more ammo.

#24 ·
One liberal that I have talked to about a SHTF, a younger generation family member, told me that if it should happen, one of the first thing that the government would have to do is go around to everyone who has "more then they need" and take it from them in order to redistribute it to those who need it. She also informed me that all firearms would have to be turned in so that the government could use them for forming local militias to provide for the common defense of the local community. I asked her what if I didn't want to give up my personal property, she smugly replied that I would have to.

She has thought about and her answer is to take from those who have it and give it to someone who doesn't. I suspect that in her mind she will be one of the ones who decides who gets what. After talking to her I went home and started loading more ammo.
She'll likely grow up quickly in a SHTF situation.

#30 ·
Not to side-swipe the conversation (it's a good one), but there seems to be a mix up of party talk and mind-set.
There is no liberal or conservative party.

Democrats and Republicans are parties,
Liberal and Conservative are ideologies.

That being said, the ideologies and passions can range a full spectrum.

Hard-core hippies living in communes would be far from conservative, but would still hate "the man".

As I see it, using history as a guide, Liberalism stretched to it's extreme would be 'Iron Fist Communism', Conservative at it's extreme would be 'Wild-West Anarchy'.

#32 ·
Not to side-swipe the conversation (it's a good one), but there seems to be a mix up of party talk and mind-set.
There is no liberal or conservative party.

Democrats and Republicans are parties,
Liberal and Conservative are ideologies.

That being said, the ideologies and passions can range a full spectrum.

Hard-core hippies living in communes would be far from conservative, but would still hate "the man".

As I see it, using history as a guide, Liberalism stretched to it's extreme would be 'Iron Fist Communism', Conservative at it's extreme would be 'Wild-West Anarchy'.
Another man of reason!!! Two in one day?!! It can't be true!! ;)

Reactions: sparkyprep
#36 ·
Liberal can be defined as someone that has no problem taking other people stuff and giving it away, but when it comes to their stuff hands off. They demand you give more so they can take more. Can't deny it can't hide it. While there are exceptions to all things this one fit 98%.
Liberal would demand you give up all of your supplies so they can then pass them out evenly, however they will pocket 50% of them for their trouble . Then tell you how caring they are.

#37 ·
Our world works because we have opposing ideas!! We keep each other in check. ;)
I enjoy that!!! Disagree with me!! Open my mind!! In the end I might not AGREE but I still learned something! =)

#38 ·
And a Conservative will simply shoot you in the face, leave your children to starve, and take your wife, all the while justifying his actions with "you should have been stronger to protect yourself and family". Where is the middle ground?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.