Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Advice about adopting a dog.

18K views 198 replies 37 participants last post by  longrider 
#1 ·
As some may know from some previous posts I have a fear of dogs due to having been attacked pretty severely in the past. My daughter was also bitten by a friends dog about 10 years ago badly enough that she required stitches. So we both are a little apprehensive. However it's not possible to be on this forum for very long before you realize the many benefits of having a dog. There's been numerous posts about just how plain awesome they are not only as security and defense but companionship.

Anyway long story short I checked out my local animal shelter. They only have 4 dogs available right now. All 4 are Pit Bulls. I personally have nothing against pit bulls. I know it all depends on how an animal was raised and treated. But coming from a shelter I would have no way of knowing would I? For somebody with a fear of dogs a pit bull just doesn't seem the way to go with a first dog. Am I wrong?

I was kinda leaning towards a Lab but I admit I really don't know the first thing about breeds.

#7 ·
Talking about dogs is just like talking about weapons, everyone will have their choice, and everyone will be right, that is why they are so many breeds. From your post, I would not start off with a pitbull from a shelter, for the reasons you have already mentioned. I am in favor of saving a dog from the shelter though. I'd go with a smaller or mid-size dog, no a small dog isn't going to chew up a bad guy, but they are great alarm systems.
No matter what dog you get be prepared to LOVE and take care of him/her, they deserve that much. And as TG mentioned don't forget to account for the expense of taking care of them, although if you get one from the shelter, it should already have it this year's shots and will be sprayed/neutered

#10 · (Edited)
My advice would be to visit a couple breeders. Talk to them and tell them what you are looking for (companionship, loyalty, smartness ... whatever).

You may need to talk with several breeders, but you will find one that says something like "I have a cross that is exactly like that, let me show you the bitch and sire", you'll see the parents and can then be put on the list waiting for that 'cross'. You might even be able to see an older sibling of the same cross.

Picking a breed is important, but picking the litter is even MORE important. Labs are great, they are big and long haired, my personal bias is of a German Shorthaired Pointer, but I wouldn't recommend one in your situation (pups from the wrong litter of GSP's can be impossible!) other nice companions would be (retrievers or border collies). The border collies I've been around are really smart and a lot smaller than Labs/retrievers, (again, picking the right litter is as important as picking the right breed). It's really hard to make a case against labs though!

AJ

edited to add: As stated above, Breed rescues are a great alternative, many will let you 'try a dog out', just to make sure they find the right home for them.

#11 · (Edited)
Shelter rescues are the way to go -- but take the advice already given.

IMHO -- and this is some 70 years of owning dogs, NOTHING can compare to any kind of RETRIEVER breed. Doesn't really matter -- Golden Ret, Black Labs, Golden Labs, etc., etc. They are:

1. High on the list of SMART (may be edged out by poodles, but that is about it).
2. The most family oriented dogs you'll ever find. Gentle and fun.
3. You simply never hear of a "vicious" retriever.

Kahlan -- go to several pet shelters, and leave word with them what you are after. I have a neighbor lady who volunteers at our local shelter every Wed. She found us our latest pooch Sadie (a black lab mix) last February. We couldn't be happier.

Update -- I've just done a bit of research on the ten smartest dogs, and in every case the Border Collie comes in first, followed by poodles and then German Shepards. Golden Retrievers usually are shown 4th. But they are still listed as the best family dog.

"Retriever" is the key word.

#12 ·
PM Smokin before you do anything.

Dogs are a big part of our lives and have been for years. Understand that Dogs are pack animals by nature and your family dynamics will determine the pack hierarchy of your new dog.

If you are slightly afraid of dogs due to an event in the past, I would not recommend an Adult Rescue Dog. Like others have said, they are there for a reason. Unless you are a trained professional,or an experienced highly dedicated dog owner, it is very difficult to retrain an old dog or erase a lifetime of habits.

Do your research on Breeds. Again Do Your Research on Breeds. Did I tell you that it's important to do your research on Breeds?

I'll add some more later as others add posts to this thread but take your time, this is not something that you jump into. IMO

#17 ·
Border Collie; Highly intelligent, Obsessive Desire to WORK and must have a job to do otherwise they will wreak havoc. Expect to spend a LOT of time with them from ages 1-5. The training potential is limitless. They tend to shed hair most of the year. Generally Border Collies are not good for young children as they tend to herd them, chase them and knock them down. Great companions for someone with lots of land. I do not recommend a Border Collie for a first time dog owner.

View attachment 8164

#25 ·
Yeah Slippy!,Border collies rock!.our Border/Lab mix is the most gentle yet protective dog we have had.I second borders!.Kahlan,just be prepared to give a lot of love,time and affection and, a lot of long walks if you do not have the amount of land for a dog to roam on.the lab mix seems not to want to herd as much fyi,this one is pretty mellow.

Here's ours,

Attachments

#20 ·
I only rescue rotties & have done so for over 20 years. I usually have 4-7 here. Some due to issues are here permanently. Others I work with to get ready for their next home.

A few years ago local humane society had a young female rottie that their temperment tester flagged as dog aggreesive. They called the nearest rottie rescue who called me to check her out. As the trainer walked the dog outside went past a bunch of other dogs. Within minutes I knew she wasn't dog aggressive as she only reacted to dogs aggressive towards her. Within half an hour I went out to my truck & had her walking around with saddlebags on & prancing like she was hot stuff. Now, every time they get a rottie in I get the call to temperament test them.

#21 ·
View attachment 8165 View attachment 8166

Ahhhhh, what a cute little Australian Cattle Dog! Soooo Sweeeet! Mommy I want one!

NO!

STOP RIGHT THERE AND RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! They are not the breed for a first time dog owner. Yes, they are loyal, smart, strong and will defend you and your home. But I think it was Smitty who told me, they are like a strong 5 year old child with jaws of steel and teeth! They will jump and spring around you like a gymnast on too much coffee. They need room and lots of work. They shed a very fine undercoating of fur that will drive you nuts.

And they will love you like no other and will follow you around "asking" questions and getting their grimy little paws into anything and everything, like a real strong 5 year old child with jaws of steel and teeth who can jump higher and run faster than you can imagine.

Damnit....I got to go, Beasley has somehow pulled the attic stairs down and is now eating the insulation in the attic!

#23 ·
Dog Carnivore Water dog Dog breed Companion dog

get a Labradoodle. very smart and can be taught anything. very friendly and love everyone, but are smart enough to know the difference between friend and enemy. great family dogs. they get their friendly personality from the Lab and tons of intelligence from the poodle. the two breeds are the smartest dogs there are. Also much less chance of having problems with hip dysplasia since they are a mixed breed.

#26 ·
I can't say enough about my German Shepherd. Smartest dog I've owned.
Regardless of breed, find a *good* breeder or make sure you *know* a dog's history.

I would not recommend a pit bull as a first time dog, and not one that is older since you won't know their backstory.
A pup can be raised properly, socialized correctly, and be a wonderful family dog, but it takes lots of time and you have to know how to handle them.
They are a loyal breed, but they are stubborn as all get out. Those two characteristics are why they were chosen to be fighting dogs.
The muscle strength helped. They have a strong desire to please their master, and they have a high tolerance for pain and annoyance. This can make them great family dogs.
It can also make them accept and excel at fighting, which is the downside.
The breed has received a very bad rap due to bad humans.
Pass on the shelter pits.

#31 ·
On a side note, I'm on vacation at home today, sitting in my chair reading the PF. Mrs Slippy is down in the basement working out on her Stairmaster. Beasley must be with her because every few minutes I hear her sceaming in that voice that I know so well...NO Beasley, or... STOP THAT! or DAMN YOU DOG, PUT THAT DOWN, or...SLIPPY COME GET YOUR DOG!

Hee Hee

#39 ·
On a side note, I'm on vacation at home today, sitting in my chair reading the PF. Mrs Slippy is down in the basement working out on her Stairmaster. Beasley must be with her because every few minutes I hear her sceaming in that voice that I know so well...NO Beasley, or... STOP THAT! or DAMN YOU DOG, PUT THAT DOWN, or...SLIPPY COME GET YOUR DOG!

Hee Hee
I completely understand! Our current dog is a 1/2 Beagle + 1/2 Jack Russel Terrier. He's 'VERY' attentive. Now that he's 6 yrs old, he's slowing down a 'little'. He's just a bit too independent though, but he's a good 360 degree perimeter alarm!

AJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.