Mep-016B wiring instructions
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Mep-016B wiring instructions within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hope someone here with military experience can help. I bought the above generator and I am trying to decide how to hook it into my ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mep-016B wiring instructions

Hope someone here with military experience can help. I bought the above generator and I am trying to decide how to hook it into my house power. Originally I hoped to tie the 2 two legs of the 220 single phase into my breaker panel and have both sides of the breaker panel supplied with 110 (using the neutral) just like power from the grid.

But I have since read that this generator is not designed to do this. It is only supposed to supply straight 220. Between L1 and L2. Lots of conflicting info on the web. If anyone has actual experience with these army units please set me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Hope someone here with military experience can help. I bought the above generator and I am trying to decide how to hook it into my house power. Originally I hoped to tie the 2 two legs of the 220 single phase into my breaker panel and have both sides of the breaker panel supplied with 110 (using the neutral) just like power from the grid.

But I have since read that this generator is not designed to do this. It is only supposed to supply straight 220. Between L1 and L2. Lots of conflicting info on the web. If anyone has actual experience with these army units please set me straight.

WOW - PLEASE don't go any further with your DIY .... noooo generator gets wired in like that ....
    I llini Warrior

OK. Now I am really confused. I have looked at many wiring diagrams that show home standby generators that are wired just exactly like that. Of course they use the proper switching to prevent both the genny and grid supplying the breaker panel at the same time. So please explain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

You really need to find an electrician. The only way you could use the generator would be with a transformer to convert 220 VAC to 120/220 VAC. Plus you need a transfer switch to completely disconnect the grid from your panel. If you don't, the power from the generator will back feed into the grid and could very well kill a power tech working on the grid going to your house.
    Slippy and Kauboy like this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    WOW - PLEASE don't go any further with your DIY .... noooo generator gets wired in like that ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    OK. Now I am really confused. I have looked at many wiring diagrams that show home standby generators that are wired just exactly like that. Of course they use the proper switching to prevent both the genny and grid supplying the breaker panel at the same time. So please explain.
    You would have L1, L2, no neutral if you were in Europe, as they don't have 120 vac. If the Generator is not center tapped, I don't see a easy way to do it as there is no reference to Ground, which become Ground and Neutral when it enters your Meter box, but it is supplied by a transformer at the pole, or street that has it's center tap grounded, this one would float all over the place in reference to the existing ground in the home. Now it could be used to supply only 240 vac....

Edited to add that the name plate for the generator says 120/208 V 3 Phase, 120 V 3 Phase and 240 V 1 Phase, 120 V 1 Phase...

Rancher
    Last edited by azrancher; 05-15-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Get an electrician is best advice. Something like this is probably what you're gonna need, BUT it needs to be looked at and safety checked by someone who knows about such stuff CENTER TAP TRANSFORMER, 7.5 KVA, PRIMARY 208 VAC, SECONDARY -120/0/120 VAC, P/N 19036 ? L/C Magnetics
    I'd advise you be sitting down when you check the price.
    Slippy likes this.
    Hidden Content Y b NorMal?

https://cdn.greenmountaingenerators....115-615-12.pdf

Read the Manual, to see what you have exactly.

This should also help you
    http://manuals.chudov.com/OtherGener...16B/062759.pdf

If the Army had one there is a manual for it always.
    Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Ok. Many thanks to all who replied. The links to manuals were great and cleared up all my concerns. I Teamed up a smart guy on residential wiring with a retired army guy at work and between us 3 we brainstormed it all out. We all three are railroad electricians. I know what I have to do to make it work. There is a load of bad info out there on the internet and That's why I wanted input from someone with first hand experience with these generators. Again, thanks to all!

With straight 220 volts, no neutral, you run the risk of burning up half the stuff in your house. You will essentially have an 'open neutral' system. Depending on how the loads are balanced, you might be just fine. But start to put more load on one side of the panel than the other, and the voltages supplies to each side will start to vary. Instead of 110/110, you might end up with 120/100, or 130/90.... or 150/70. This will cause some things on the 150v side to burn out.

Continue to mis-balance the panel and things will get even worse.

What you will need is a 220 to 220/110 transformer. The output will be center-tapped (just like your utility transformer is), and supply that neutral you will need to keep the voltages balanced.
    I lock my doors for your protection. Hidden Content

Feel free to visit my Hidden Content Page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links