How to not be a statistic in the next great epidemic
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How to not be a statistic in the next great epidemic within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; NOTE: The following article was written by my wife, Spice, for our new prepping website & blog, Beans, Bullets, Bandages & You - Real, down ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How to not be a statistic in the next great epidemic

NOTE: The following article was written by my wife, Spice, for our new prepping website & blog, Beans, Bullets, Bandages & You - Real, down to Earth prepping & self sufficiency information & we have many more articles, with more coming every day. I thought this was important information so I am sharing it here.

Epidemic disease is near the top of my Most Likely list For Majorly Bad Widespread Events.

Why?

We (humans) have had them many times before. Who hasnít heard of the Black Death that killed off a quarter of Europeans in one five year period during the Middle Ages, or the Spanish Flu that killed north of a quarter of a million Americans and perhaps up to three million worldwide in 1917-1920? Moreover, modern life (especially jet travel, but also changes in animal populations) make it easier for major events to arise and spread. And thatís Without adding in any potential intentionally-caused terrorist event scenarios.

While Iím not a health care provider myself, I do help train them, and health and disease are in my professional wheelhouse. Iím not just passing along ĎInternet wisdomí Iíve heard somewhere.

The scenarios I find most likely while still being highly dangerous are the ones that involve infectious disease that can be spread through easily shared body fluids (such as cough droplets) where the infected people can pass the disease on before they look or feel very sick themselves; so thatís the scenario addressed here.

The best way not to get sick is to not get exposed.

Some things to think about:

The more rural the place that you live, the better. Cities with major airport hubs tend to get hit hard and early in outbreaks and spread from there to more rural areas. Those of us in the hinterlands both get more warning and might even get exposed to less virulent versions. (Most epidemic diseases get less dangerous as they spread, as the viruses evolve into versions that donít kill their hosts as quickly and so spread better.)

Most of us canít/donít pick where we live based on that, but an epidemic would be a great time to take the kids to visit Grandma and Grandpa back out on the farm. Big concentrations of people are great places to share germs. How many people do you think have touched the buttons on an elevator at a sports arena?

A few germs can even be spread well through ventilation systems of big buildings. Hospitals are a great place to be when you *really need* a hospital; and a great place to get sicker the rest of the time. Even now, a hospital is the place one is most likely to pick up a seriously antibiotic-resistant bacterium. A hospital flooded with a bunch of people coughing or puking, and overwhelming the available staff, would not be a great improvement.

Do masks help, for things that spread like the flu? Yes, but not mostly in the way people usually imagine.

First, masks are most effective when worn by the sick people, not the well, as they keep a lot of the microbe-laden body fluids from being released into the wild. So if *you* are sick and want to protect those around you, Absolutely Iíd recommend them.

Second, a standard particulate or surgical mask will not prevent one from inhaling airborne particles of virus. It will reduce it a lot, but some air gets in around the edges of such masks, and the virus itself can get through those filters (although the phlegm particles the viruses are carried with are often stopped).

The greatest value of the masks is really reducing hand to mouth/eyes/nose transmission. Most transfers of cold or flu virus, for example, comes when 1) sick person sneezes or coughs particles out, or transfers them by hand. 2) Particles with microbes land on surface. 3) New victim touches surface, picks up particles. Fortunately, fingers are not susceptible to the flu. 4) New victim handles food or touches mouth/nose/eyes, or even handles something and later, having run out of hands for a task, holds that thing with teeth. Oops, now microbe has a friendly new home. So if thereís an epidemic of this sort, the best bet is if you have to be where sick people are or might have been, yes wear the mask but wash your hands before you take it off.

While youíre at it, get in the habit of washing your hands. A Lot. Soap and water works best. Alcohol-based sanitizing gels are a heck of a lot better than nothing but not quite as good as soap.

Antibacterial agents in the soap provide little or no extra benefit, unless your job is to market said soap to consumers who like the sound of the word Ďantibacterialí.

Last but by no means least: Keep yourself in general good health. A lot more people are exposed to most diseases than actually get them. Dose of exposure is one factor (so the good sanitation habits still help). Another big one is the state of oneís immune system. Healthy food, good exercise, enough sleep, and finding ways to manage stress pay off in this arena, again.
    Check out my prepping/survival website for my podcast, down to earth reviews, advice and a bit of humor thrown in as well.

Hidden Content

I have a pandemic on the list of initial SHTFs - but even more so it's almost a certainty in the following post-SHTF period .... if you're not prepped up to handle disease contact & spread it's a major omission in your prepping - you'll be seeing dysentery within the week that the taps stop flowing - just about everything and anything will follow ....

what I don't see enough of is the planning for medical isolation - especially for group members coming in late to the BOL - well after the SHTF has started ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-17-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    I llini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    I have a pandemic on the list of initial SHTFs - but even more so it's almost a certainty in the following post-SHTF period .... if you're not prepped up to handle disease contact & spread it's a major omission in your prepping - you'll be seeing dysentery within the week that the taps stop flowing - just about everything and anything will follow ....

what I don't see enough of is the planning for medical isolation - especially for group members coming in late to the BOL - well after the SHTF has started ....
    Very good observation.

We have stocked complete isolation gear.

Remember back to when we had that Ebola outbreak a couple of years ago and people were in a panic? I wasn't in any way worried about contracting Ebola, but I did get to thinking about our preps for dealing with the flu (isolation) and things like dysentery (loperamide).

Masks, gloves, face shields, even isolation suits for really virulent strains... we had basically a couple of disposable masks and some nitrile gloves and that was IT.

Now, we have proper equipment, plus plenty of dysentery drugs on hand (as in lots, they are cheap and last a very long time).

We are going to be exploring what a good "home health care" setup is, what equipment we think every prepared family should have, as part of a series, probably starting with the single most critical thing you can have in your preps, bleeding control supplies... which are critical to have even in everyday situations.
    Camel923 likes this.
    Check out my prepping/survival website for my podcast, down to earth reviews, advice and a bit of humor thrown in as well.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I also have epedemic high on my list. It's not if but when. I am also aware desease / epidemic will be a natural byproduct of most SHTF scenarios. I am taking these facts into account and am working on the suggested counter measures. I must admit this has been the one area I was lacking and had not put a lot of effort into. Good thread.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I also have epedemic high on my list. It's not if but when. I am also aware desease / epidemic will be a natural byproduct of most SHTF scenarios. I am taking these facts into account and am working on the suggested counter measures. I must admit this has been the one area I was lacking and had not put a lot of effort into. Good thread.
    That's exactly how I was pre-ebola scare, except I was totally "holier than thou" about it.

I was laughing at all the people running around buying all kinds of supplies to keep ebola away from them.

My wife, who is a scientist, started talking about what we REALLY have to consider, basically pandemics from flu and other viruses, and I stopped laughing as I though about how I basically had ZILCH when it came to protecting us from them should we have to treat family members in a contagious situation.

That's when I got off my ass and started doing something about it.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Salt-N-Pepper View Post
    Very good observation.

We have stocked complete isolation gear.

Remember back to when we had that Ebola outbreak a couple of years ago and people were in a panic? I wasn't in any way worried about contracting Ebola, but I did get to thinking about our preps for dealing with the flu (isolation) and things like dysentery (loperamide).

Masks, gloves, face shields, even isolation suits for really virulent strains... we had basically a couple of disposable masks and some nitrile gloves and that was IT.

Now, we have proper equipment, plus plenty of dysentery drugs on hand (as in lots, they are cheap and last a very long time).

We are going to be exploring what a good "home health care" setup is, what equipment we think every prepared family should have, as part of a series, probably starting with the single most critical thing you can have in your preps, bleeding control supplies... which are critical to have even in everyday situations.

I brought up the question a month ago - if anyone was prepping up an entryway shower decontamination system - double duty for fallout conditions .... if it's a true pandemic SHTF it's going to be almost impossible to sit out the situation for months - there's bound to bodies to deal with and contaminated victims - acquired property items that needs sanitizing - survivors that are just hanging in there ....

another item I don't see mentioned - in regard to civilian pandemic supplies - is the pump up pressure can sprayers from the gardening department - I see them being used by the professionals for sanitizing big stuff like vehicles ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-17-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    I llini Warrior

Someone tell me about dysentery drugs. All I'm seeing are prescription only stuff.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

to be perfectly honest.... events such as epidemic and a meteor strike are inevitable.. just a matter of 2 yrs, 200, yrs, 20,000... they have happened, and they will happen again.
    Camel923 and SGG like this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    another item I don't see mentioned - in regard to civilian pandemic supplies - is the pump up pressure can sprayers from the gardening department - I see them being used by the professionals for sanitizing big stuff like vehicles ....
    Home Depot has a pump up spray model that is designed to work with bleach and bleach water. It has better O rings in it so they do not rot out. It was not much more expensive than the regular style pump. I do need to buy a regular one for clean water for a rinse after sitting in the bleach water while it is working.
    Camel923 likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

In the midst of a pandemic one would be foolish to take in fleeing strangers and potentially expose themselves. God be with you if your morals outweigh your survival discipline. Just an observation.
    Maine-Marine likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links