Nonverbal Communication and Survival
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Nonverbal Communication and Survival within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Howdy folks, My first post! Maybe I should start off by mentioning that I'm not a traditional prepper. But I did spend 3 years in ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Nonverbal Communication and Survival

Game Over

Howdy folks,

My first post! Maybe I should start off by mentioning that I'm not a traditional prepper. But I did spend 3 years in the infantry down in Panama and a year in Afghanistan. So I do have a few survival skills... but I'm sure that they are pretty rusty. Of course I hope I never get the chance to see just how rusty they are. But I also have a very green thumb!

I definitely enjoy watching fictional disaster shows. The Walking Dead is pretty great. Some non-fiction survivor shows are pretty enjoyable as well. A while back I had a prepper friend who was very excited to watch a new reality survival show. But when we watched the first episode we both agreed that it was painfully and disappointingly bad. I can't remember the name of the show but in the first episode a group of people were arguing about what items to grab from a big box.

My favorite area of study is economics. There's a lot of overlap between economics and survival. A friend and I have been debating the best economic system for a group of people stranded on an island.

Ok...so... nonverbal communication. Like giving somebody the middle finger... or a thumbs up. Smiling or frowning. Is there a connection between nonverbal communication and survival?

You’d figure that if there were two different groups of primates… whichever group was better at understanding each other would have a greater advantage. Voila! Humans engage in a lot more nonverbal communication than any other primate. Our bodies are also the best at allocating resources. This difference provides another pretty significant survival advantage.

Having arms and hands is like having a built in bug out bag... and walking upright means being able to carry a variety of survival items over greater distances. But you can imagine all the nonverbal communication involved with considering other people's carrying decisions... "You really shouldn't carry that!" There's a limit to how much we can carry so the economic concept of opportunity cost is very relevant to survival.

If you accept the relationship between nonverbal communication and survival... then what? Well... then it's important to appreciate that one of the most important forms of nonverbal communication is spending/sacrificing. In the beginning of the Bible, God judged Cain and Abel on the basis of their willingness to sacrifice (nonverbal communication). Later on God judged Isaac on the same basis. In the New Testament... God willingly sacrificed his only son to save the world. The message of God's love was powerful and clear. Consider the democratic alternative... "For God so loved the world that he voted for it." The democratic form of nonverbal communication really would not have sent the same message.

Markets are all about putting your money where your mouth is. Consumers use nonverbal communication (spending) to prove how much they want something. Proof is necessary because talk is cheap.

Yet, forums are all about talk! Clearly verbal communication is necessary... but can you imagine if this forum also facilitated the most important form of nonverbal communication? Members of this community would understand each other far better.

Here are a couple ways that this forum could use spending to facilitate mutual understanding...

Method 1: Pragmatarian market

Each month each member would pay $1 dollar, but they would have the option to choose which threads they spend their pennies on. If you didn't choose this option, then your dollar would stay in the owner's digital wallet. If you did choose this option, but you spent your fees on your own threads, then that money would also stay in the owner's wallet. If you decided to spend your money on other people's threads... then your money would be transferred to their wallet.

Method 2: Donors choose

Whenever somebody made a donation, they would have the option to use their donation to communicate how much they love their favorite threads. The owner would keep track of this info on a Google sheet which could be embedded in its own webpage. The threads on this page would be sorted by their value to donors. You could check out this page... if you were interested in seeing which threads on this forum were worth the greatest sacrifices.

With the current system... let's say that I wanted to put together a bug out bag. I'm sure that you folks would be able to recommend some good threads. But it wouldn't be quite the same thing as spending your money to communicate just how important those threads are to you. The more money that you're willing to spend on those threads, the more important they are to you... and the more important it would be for me to determine how important they are to me.

One of my favorite ideas from the Bible is to not hide your light under a bushel. Sorting threads chronologically is definitely useful... but it logically results in a lot of buried treasure. Since people's time is limited like space in a bug out bag... it seems pretty beneficial for everybody to use their own money to help create a list of the most valuable threads. Then every new member could quickly find and read the most important/valuable threads. Admittedly, "sticking" threads to the top of the category kinda serves the same purpose. But even if everybody voted (democratic definition of love) for which threads to sticky... it really wouldn't be the same thing as everybody reaching into their own pockets and deciding how much a thread is truly worth to them (economic definition of love).

In the beginning I said that I'm not a traditional prepper. Perhaps I can be considered a meta prepper. My survival strategy is to minimize risk of disaster by strengthening systems. If this forum facilitated spending, then more people would understand the importance of individual sacrifice as a very important form of communication. As a result, people would gain the freedom to choose where their taxes go. This freedom would minimize the chance/impact of disasters.

When I was humping the hills in Panama... we didn't all look in the same direction. We all scanned different sectors. This provided greater coverage and protection for the group. Disasters can come from all sorts of different directions. And since humans are all different, it's only natural for us to look in very different directions and be concerned about very different things. This means that preventing people from choosing where their taxes go is the single greatest threat to our existence. If we did have the freedom to choose where our taxes go, then we'd be able to use our taxes to protect each other's backs. You'd protect my back by spending your taxes on space colonization (in case of asteroid) and I'd protect your back by spending my taxes on virology research (in case of zombie outbreak). Because of human diversity, individual freedom means far greater protection for humanity.

God helps them who help themselves. Our current system prevents us from using our taxes to help ourselves. As a result, we're all incredibly vulnerable.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Booze and two dances.

You know....
    Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

TG

Welcome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hell of a first post. P.s, I mimed that first but it did not get the point across.
    P.p.s welcome from little New England.

Interesting first post.

Welcome from CBus OH

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness

Welcome from Wisconsin
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Game Over

Thanks for the welcomes!

jim-henscheli, we need more emoticons :/

Super Moderator

Welcome to the fray.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.
    I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Hidden Content

TG

Welcome!

Nonverbal Communication and deceptive verbal communication skills are a major tool of survival. Long before radios and long after. Flags were used along with hand and arm signals , Horns ,Whistles ,bagpipes, lights.
    Some time just the look on your face, or not saying a word sent a clear message to those that should understand it.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links