Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mylar vs Plastic bags for food storage

This is a discussion on Mylar vs Plastic bags for food storage within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; another question on food storage. There are these seal a meal machines that you use plastic to seal food for later usage, but I was ...

Mylar vs Plastic bags for food storage

another question on food storage. There are these seal a meal machines that you use plastic to seal food for later usage, but I was wondering if there is a difference between the mylar and plastic? From what I read mylar does not have to be all silver like you see with balloons etc. Those bacon bits come in mylar bags and they are clear, so I was wondering if this is the same thing?

Re: Mylar vs Plastic bags for food storage

Plastic bags, like ziploc bags are fine for short term storage. For long term storage use Mylar with oxygen absorbers. The plastic will eventually allow air in and doesn't protect items from light. The Mylar bags protect from light and air and will allow you to preserve food for decades.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Ads