Gas Masks?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gas Masks?

This is a discussion on Gas Masks? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Has anyone used one of these gas masks? They look top of the line and I was thinking about grabbing one. https://www.uline.com/BL_992/3M-Full-Face-Respirators I was looking ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gas Masks?

Gas Masks?

Has anyone used one of these gas masks? They look top of the line and I was thinking about grabbing one. https://www.uline.com/BL_992/3M-Full-Face-Respirators

I was looking at the filter/cartridge combos. Preferably I'd like an all-in-one cartridge that would protect from fallout debris and stuff like teargas, etc. Any thoughts?

-2cent
    Slippy likes this.

Any of the military filters out there should do, NATO filters will work even if outdated.

Fallout is composed of fine particulates not much sophistication needed, same with CS, nerve agents are a different story.

I don't worry too much about nerve or biological here where I live, too cold to be effective.

With nerve and blister agents you need full body protection, not just a mask.

Just a pinprick with blister agent can cause a blister the size of a chicken egg.

ULINE is a good place to buy from, I get a lot from them.

Filters do not come with the mask, if you noticed.

Some military surplus will do what you ask for a quarter of the price.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-03-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    2centprofit and TG like this.

Its good for spraying insulation, that is all the good it did for me.

A mask on its own is not going to help you much; everything from CS to Sarin will absorb in your skin and with CBRN stuff besides some crowd control crap youll be jacked up.

Did an exercise and spent 72 hours in MOPP4 it was horrible, really seals the moisture in, then gas/fallout absorbs in your gear and youre still screwed

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness
    Denton, 2centprofit and TG like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

3M is a very good company/ brand and they make a lot of good safety gear. Many hospitals use 3M respirators for maintenance functions and to protect health care staff from airborne pathogens.

They make and sell filters for nuclear particles/ dust those filters will filter out tear gas as well.
    TG and 2centprofit like this.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Yup,any milsurp gas mask with a good filter will work. However full NBC gear is the only thing that will save you a$$!
    2centprofit likes this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

I had to google NBC gear to figure out what it was. Could you imagine trying being in a firefight with one of those on? That would look comical as hell.

Unfortunately most of my prep funds come from my employer funded HRA(similar to a FSA). I'm willing to bet they'll allow the full face respirator. I've pushed the limits to what they'll allow me to buy before so I don't think I'll ask if a NBC suit is covered, as it's not really needed for the work I do. Well, neither is a full face respirator but it could be semi-feasible that I'd use one.
    RedLion likes this.

Why pay top of the line when you can buy cheaper for the same performance? I bought surplus masks for my family. Word of advice, sixteen years in the Army and I never saw a mask removed from service because it had an expiration date. The only masks I saw removed were because of deadline faults like a rip in the rubber.

My last few years in I worked as a supply sergeant/quartermaster. I was in charge of the NBC room and same deal. Masks were never removed. If a fault developed it was repaired with a replacement valve, seal or whatever part if it was not in stock a part was put on order if I could not wheel and deal with another supply sergeant.

I also bought hazmat suits plus extras for protection from fallout or sometype of pandemic. To go with the suits I bought Army MOPP gloves and liners. The Army gloves are tougher than anything civilian related. Potassium Iodate KI03 for nuclear events and a bleach solution handheld sprayer to decontaminate from any type of pandemic situation.

Once you get your mask figured out then make sure you buy extra filters for each person.
    inceptor, 2centprofit and SOCOM42 like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

The filters are what are dated.

I would not worry about the NATO filters that are sealed for your needs or mine.

The NATO canisters are sealed at the factory, do not break the seal until there is a real threat.

They can be opened and mounted in 30 seconds if needed.

If you want some gas training for you and yours, you can buy camphor blocks at a CVS pharmacy.

in a closed room put one on some sort of hot plate, I used a #10 can with Triox tabs, can upside down like a stove.

You will need to use some filters.

Throw on a piece about the size of a pad of butter, keep everybody out until fuming, have them go in with mask on.

They will find out soon enough if their mask is on right.

Remove mask's and keep them in for 60 seconds then remask,

it is a bitch in there but great training in masking and self control.

Some will panic and run out.

This is the method I was taught to train my tank company with.

I really pissed off one crew, they were supposed to be buttoned up using the tanks filtration system.

I popped a CS canister and dropped it down the loaders hatch, one word, pandemonium.

IIRC some of those MSA masks will not work well with a rifle.

I have about 100 NATO canisters and a dozen masks, West German and Israeli.

Also have a dozen M17A1 masks which have a drinking straw built in, and canteen adapters.

Filter change in these are a bitch, plenty of spares for them also

Both jeeps have masks and filters in them as part of my GHB.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-03-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    2centprofit likes this.

I say get what you can when you can. One piece advice if you are getting this for work especially if you are wearing it for 6 to 8 hours at a time- painting, asbestos removal, treating TB patients what ever I always tried to put guys in a unit that has a filter and a pump so it is pushing clean cool air into your face. Power filer unit.

For prepping / emergency big draw back is having the batteries for the pump charged. But for everyday work where the batteries can charge at night a powered air supply is much easier/better. Pulling air thru a filer with your lungs is hard work and you will feel it , you won't get what you want done very quick as you are working at just breathing. The power air supply will increase your productivity and you will feel better at night.

I do not think you need to prep for a nerve agent chemical attack. Couple reason for that thought . If you have no warning so that you are not in a suit you will not have time to put on a suit if there is an attack on your location. If you think the threat is high enough that you need a MOPP suit why the hell are you still in the area. Last this type of munition is pretty rare.

More likely to happen is an industrial accident or train / truck wreck with hazardous chemicals. You can view a list of chemicals stored near you by visiting your local emergency management office. You might not have anything to worry about. If you are within a mile of a train track or highway you should have a means of getting emergency messages that there has been a spill. A quick run/ evacuate plan and a interior room that you an seal yourself into using tape and plastic is what you need. You wake up to a load sound of train cars crashing get yourself in a car driving away from the tracks or get in your room and seal the vents, doors. If you live near a chemical plant they have to give you the plastic and tape. Train carrying chlorine or other poisonous gas makes no difference if you are sealed in your room for a couple hours.

Rural area look for the liquid nitrogen fertilizer tanks . If you are within 5 miles of a large tank this is an issue for you. Again the local emergency management/ LEPC has info.

Does your work require any kind of disposable clothing or could it. Look at TVEK suits. Water resistant TVEK suit especially with a rain suit worn over it duct taped with rubber boots and rubber gloves you got a inexpensive MOPP suit. MOPP Is military talk for chemical/biological/ nuclear protective gear. But I would not spend much time effort on getting the gear as if there is a danger from chemical you have to flee. No time to stop an put on gear.

In the Army they taught putting on some gear if you thought the possibility was high so if it did happen you would have everything on faster. You get artillery you get in your bunker and put on your gear . But if that first shell was chemical and you were close even if very quick and those guys could do the mask in 30 seconds, even then you are dead. If a soldier did get some exposure / chemical on them they had auto injectors atropine and decontamination kits . After moving out of the immediate area, using the atropine, decon and putting on any remaining protective gear the medic would give him more antidote and get him to a hospital . In order to survive a chemical attack you had to have your gear already on or be very lucky.

Anything like that going on you need to be long gone.
    Last edited by RJAMES; 01-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    2centprofit likes this.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Quote Originally Posted by 2centprofit View Post
    I had to google NBC gear to figure out what it was. Could you imagine trying being in a firefight with one of those on? That would look comical as hell.
    There is a reason that the military uses protective masks with individual lenses for each eye. It is easier to effectively shoot versus one large face lense.

Here is a protective mask that could fit the bill for you. Approved Gas Masks - Forsheda A4 Kits with NBC Filter Canister Otherwise there are several other very good masks available on this site.
    2centprofit and azrancher like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links