How you organize your preps
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How you organize your preps within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Happy New Years all - I'm curious to what methods of organization you employ? I know there are GHB/BOB's but how do you organize them? ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How you organize your preps

Happy New Years all -

I'm curious to what methods of organization you employ? I know there are GHB/BOB's but how do you organize them? If you plan on bugging in how do you organize your preps? I am somewhat at a loss how to best organize it so that I can quickly access it. I put much of my stuff in Ammo can's (not food). That's nice because it makes it a little easier. However I don't like putting mix use items in the ammo cans unless I can sub-divide the cans. Anyone else doing the same? Also how do you secure your preps when you aren't home?

Look forward to your responses and pictures! I'm just trying to get ideas on how best to tackle my stuff.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post
    Happy New Years all -

I'm curious to what methods of organization you employ? I know there are GHB/BOB's but how do you organize them? If you plan on bugging in how do you organize your preps? I am somewhat at a loss how to best organize it so that I can quickly access it. I put much of my stuff in Ammo can's (not food). That's nice because it makes it a little easier. However I don't like putting mix use items in the ammo cans unless I can sub-divide the cans. Anyone else doing the same? Also how do you secure your preps when you aren't home?

Look forward to your responses and pictures! I'm just trying to get ideas on how best to tackle my stuff.
    StayFrosty, I have found that plastic buckets with Gamma lids are a great way to go for storing lots of food and non food items. The lids are a bit pricey yet they are so handy when using the items.

Not to sound flippant, but how do you organize your socks and underwear? That is pretty much how Mrs Inor and I organize our preps.

The ammo cans we have only hold ammo. Each caliber in its own can. Each can is marked with the caliber and which guns it fits. On food, each 5 gal pail is marked with what is inside it and the month and year it was packed. All medical is vac sealed and stored together and marked with what is in each pouch. What else are you looking for?
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Funny, I use ammo cans for bulk food storage, 20MM cans, rice and beans prepacked, formed into mylar bricks then into cans.

Ammo is stored in original crates and packaging for the most part, all else is in 50CAl and 20MM cans and marked.

Half the Ammo is on 2k# pallets in bunker, remainder is distributed to all other strategic sites.

As far as all prep materials are concerned, what is not in the bunker is equally distributed in 12 comm shelters.

Organization is a personal thing, whatever best works for you.

My inventory lists are on yellow lined paper housed in aluminum clipboards, each kept in its separate location with its associated products.

Over a long period of time these systems do develop, and can seem overwhelming to the beginner along with the sheer volume of stores.

Have no use for electronic spread sheets or the such and I sure as hell don't use bar codes either.

All the inventories have been equally disbursed to prevent a catastrophic loss of any one product in its entirety.

The only exception to this is the underground fuel tanks.
    Inor and TG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    StayFrosty, I have found that plastic buckets with Gamma lids are a great way to go for storing lots of food and non food items. The lids are a bit pricey yet they are so handy when using the items.
    Thanks Joe! - I too keep mine in buckets, ammo cans etc. I suppose I am looking for the entire system that people employ. Custom built racks or COTS items. How do you manage rotation of goods etc. Do you use different pouches for different types of preps. I'm thinking color coded items. I've been thinking of creating a bucket of "Medical Kits". Having one or two medical kits is ok but I would imagine you would end up consuming or losing items. Having multiple is important. Is it better to keep the items in bulk and keep several small pouches on hand that you can stock?

Again thinking of once you are at your BOL/BIL and you are able to stay for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Funny, I use ammo cans for bulk food storage, 20MM cans, rice and beans prepacked, formed into mylar bricks then into cans.

Ammo is stored in original crates and packaging for the most part, all else is in 50CAl and 20MM cans and marked.

Half the Ammo is on 2k# pallets in bunker, remainder is distributed to all other strategic sites.

As far as all prep materials are concerned, what is not in the bunker is equally distributed in 12 comm shelters.

Organization is a personal thing, whatever best works for you.

My inventory lists are on yellow lined paper housed in aluminum clipboards, each kept in its separate location with its associated products.

Over a long period of time these systems do develop, and can seem overwhelming to the beginner along with the sheer volume of stores.

Have no use for electronic spread sheets or the such and I sure as hell don't use bar codes either.

All the inventories have been equally disbursed to prevent a catastrophic loss of any one product in its entirety.

The only exception to this is the underground fuel tanks.
    Thanks Socom42! I too stay away from electronic record keeping other than using it to help me understand how well rounded my food preps are.

The LSD church encourages food rotation and has some plans on how to make various can racks so you can take one from the bottom and put new ones in from the top . Their strategy for low income / young families is to at first just buy one or two cans extra every time you shop till you build up your supply. They also do some community bulk buys and in some areas bring in a mobile canning trailer to process and can as a community what they grew. If you have one of their temples nearby you might ask when they are doing the sales and ask if you can participate. Expect them to talk to you about converting . I find that if you are friendly yet make it clear you are not converting without being rude you an get along.

For the plans look at utube. I have thought about it but never have. I just have open shelves with cases stacked up on it. I suppose 4 stacks of 5 cases on each shelf. 4 shelves on each rack for commercial cans. Glass jars are only two high on shelves in my basement. I just keep a tally on a paper sheet on what I have used so I know what to buy or home process/can to stock it back up with. Rice, four, beans, grains, pasta I put in labeled buckets. I move a case of corn for example to my kitchen pantry and try and buy the replacement case on sale with in a month or two. If I don't get it within that year or cannot replace it with home grown/ home canned then I buy it at what ever the best rice seems to be the following fall.
    Going into a winter I have about 4 years of food by early fall down to 3 years worth , try never to drop below the 3. Most preppers store more food.

I can leave in 15 minutes with food for 5 weeks with what is on/ in my camper. Loading up the rest of the food/ supplies would take a least anther 1 1/2 hours and fill the bed of the truck . If we left only in the JKU jeep I would load what fit into our 4x6 trailer. I have a 2 wheel dolly which would help a lot.

I keep BOB in both vehicles and the bikes on the camper. If we moved we would try and move with both the truck w/ camper and the Jeep w/ trailer. And if I had warning to move I would try and make a return trip to move cattle and other livestock, tools and other equipment .

If you are storing 5 or more years worth of food one of the issues I see is how do you move it should you have to move.

I think their are many preppers who have a large cache out in the country where they hope to be able to get to .
    StayFrosty likes this.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    With my BOB I put some of the heavier stuff near the bottom and the things I'll need to get to quickly near the top. Heavier stuff includes things like my backpacking stove. Stuff on top is my first aid kit because if I need it I want it quickly. The best advice I have for you when it comes to your BOB is to use it and play around with it. What looks good on paper or in your head may not work out like you hoped in real life. Your BOB should be organized in a way that you can get to what you need quickly and you're still able to remain mobile.

As far as other supplies go, I put them where they fit right now. My wife and I are in an apartment so storage space is somewhat limited. We're saving up to get into a house this year and one of the things I'm looking for is storage space.
    StayFrosty likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

CanOrganizer - Canned food storage rotation and organization

if you just want to increase space and store by like item you can find things like this using google. They range in size and price depending.
    inceptor and StayFrosty like this.
    Hell, anybody can do that. Hold my beer I'll prove it

I have mine preps on shelfs... I have veggies on a shelf, soup on a shelf, meat, grains...etc... i can do a quick count that way.

some items I have in mylar and boxed... milk, rice, salt, sugar.... etc
    StayFrosty likes this.
    Be a Berean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links