Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Concerns about Berkey Water Filter in a Warm Room

This is a discussion on Concerns about Berkey Water Filter in a Warm Room within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello, New forum member here in Florida. I've been using my Berkey filter for about 2 years and I use it daily to keep an ...

Concerns about Berkey Water Filter in a Warm Room

Hello,

New forum member here in Florida.

I've been using my Berkey filter for about 2 years and I use it daily to keep an ongoing rotation of about a week's supply of water in 1-gallon jugs. I recently moved to a new apartment and trying to locate a suitable place for it that's close to the kitchen but not in the kitchen because it has to sit up high enough for me to position the water jugs under it but not so high that I can't reach the top to fill it with water.

I have a great laundry room right off the kitchen that houses my stackable laundry unit and a small deep freezer. There's plenty of room for a small table and the Berkey but I'm concerned about the higher temperatures and humidity in that room when the dryer is running. Should I be concerned about growth in the water? Is it better to keep the Berkey in a place where the temperature is more normal?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

Look at it this way - When the fecal material impacts the oscillating atmospheric manipulation device, it won't matter - you will have higher temps and more humidity in ALL of your rooms. And isn't that why you got the Berkey in the first place? If you can't trust it to function in less than ideal circumstances now, then why are you betting your nuts on it in the future?
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Since you're rotating your water supply weekly, I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

Welcome to the board from Missouri!

Welcome from Florida.
    Don't think you have a concern.

Bacterial growth would be your only concern here right?

Here ya go!
    PurTest Bacteria Water Test Kit With Bacteria, Nitrate, & Nitrite Tests: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

I would recommend cleaning it weekly with a bleach water solution and you will be golden, not a bad idea in any climate
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    I would recommend cleaning it weekly with a bleach water solution and you will be golden, not a bad idea in any climate
    Should I also clean the filters or just the container? Can I even put bleach solution on the filters?? I don't want to damage them.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Anne

I wouldn't worry too much about anything growing in the filters if you are putting chlorinated tap water in the top half. If you aren't filtering chlorinated water, I would consider making a batch to run through it now and then. 10 drops of Clorox per gallon would be good, and would probably kill anything living in the filters.

Cleaning the rest once a week seems like a good idea too.

Never grab a tiger's tail unless you have a plan for dealing with its claws.

Ads