Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Would you say NO, to family or close friends?

This is a discussion on Would you say NO, to family or close friends? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Fairly new to prepping. Hubby & I are beginning to realize that we are the only people, we personally know, that are prepping. In a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Would you say NO, to family or close friends?

Would you say NO, to family or close friends?

Fairly new to prepping. Hubby & I are beginning to realize that we are the only people, we personally know, that are prepping. In a case like that, would you turn away family or friends, that would try & benefit from you prepping & them not being prepared?

now is the time to teach them, lest they end up on your doorstep totally unprepared, with only your stores, food and water to sustain you all. The question you should be asking yourself is: Would you be turning them away? Welcome to the forum!

punch

As cold and heartless as it may sound . . . The ONLY people that matter immediately is my wife and my daughter!! I am more than willing to help friends and family but it will be on them to find the way to me because I WILL NOT leave my wife and daughter for any extended period for any reason until there is no choice! (I should add my daughter is only 9 weeks old but my wife is a WICKED good shot with a rifle and her Charter arms pink lady 38) I dont even like leaving them for work!

I have desperately tried to convince many of my family into prepping at least with knowledge just anything to make them possibly more prepared for anything really? And unfortunately 95% refuse to believe reason for anything of the sort. . . (We dont have wicked natural disasters in Colorado is the general response) And although I have argued and explained the possibility of any kind of bad situation happening even teotwaki or however thats spelled. None want to believe I mainly get the crack pot look/comment . . . So I drew up maps and routes for all the family from my brother & sister to aunts uncles etc etc and I gave them all their maps to get to my BOL's if they can get there than we can work together and go from there! But since they refuse to believe its up to them to get that far!!

Luckily my uncle and a couple others are preppers and as my uncle said "You can talk till you are blue in the face man, but if they dont want to hear it than they wont do anything but listen! Other than that just imagine they dont care!"

My mom for instance is to afraid to confront the possibility but still buys food likes she has 3 growing bottomless pits for kids in the house! And her husband is Ex Army ranger so im sure they can make it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanFamily View Post
    Fairly new to prepping. Hubby & I are beginning to realize that we are the only people, we personally know, that are prepping. In a case like that, would you turn away family or friends, that would try & benefit from you prepping & them not being prepared?
    for me it depends what they have to offer......

but its for you to decide

I have a buddy near DeToilet who has fish tins of ammo and the machines to run it. He's not much into prepping but he can run a gun.

Family is hard to turn away but I have told all of my siblings that they better prep for themselves because anyone comming to my house will be target practice. My children and grandchildren will be here and the rest are on their own. I try to prep for all who will be here and they will bring what they can. You can talk to them a bit about it if they choose not to then it is their choice. After that don't talk about it no more. The more they know the more there is for them to tell others, and then they tell others. Keep it to yourself especially what you have.

All of my family is spread out, so I don't really have to worry about them dropping in on my in an SHTF scenario.

Two of my neighbors and I have a rally point set, so sharing resources with them is assumed. It works out, because we have one LEO (SWAT Sniper), me (the planner & mechanic), and a contractor who is good with tools and can build / fix anything.

outside of that group, it would be decision time. Those who have shown themselves to be community minded and are willing to be team players would have a spot if one is available...

My wife's Uncle informs my thoughts here: Every year he puts out a garden significantly larger than what is required to tend to his family. He works hard, and puts a lot of effort into the garden planning from the outset to give food to those in the community that are in need. This to me is the best kind of prepping.

My husband and I have mentioned 'prepping' in general to many of our family members basically to get a feel of their stance on the issue. A few have commented favorably yet NONE believe that a situation warranting this behavior will arise...a handful actually think the idea of prepping is down right crazy. This was enough for us to know that when faced with the SHTF situation that they wouldnt be prepared even within their own minds to contribute to such a set up as a BOL or even a self sustaining property with gardens and other necessary labor required obstacles. We do plan on supplying housing and food to his parents due to their age and health condition however at the moment they are reluctant to commit to the move with us. As for the rest of the family....sorry..they are on their own and will be turned away when SHTF. Those people, not just family, who choose not only to refuse to prepare for their own survival but to essentially mock those that have the insight and intelligence to do so, in my opinion will be grasping for straws so to speak for anyone that is willing to give a hand out. Similar to what many in this country do now....wanting something for nothing....wanting money without work. If you are willing to bust ass in your prepping efforts only to whittle it down with those that thought you were 'out of your mind' before SHTF then I say more power to you. Each situation is different....Do what you feel is right for you.
    shotlady likes this.

i would have to turn away. i dont have enough for others. unless they showed up with skills and supplies, id have to turn them away. but i wont be bugging in. theres only so much you can do for people who wont do for themselves. these are the same eople who wont do for the group.

If they refuse to prep for themselves then they are part of the problem and will only bring you and yours down to their level, but the call is yours to make, I've already made my decision!
    shotlady likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads