Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Faraday Cage / EMP Shielded Storage Container - Prototype Questions!

This is a discussion on Faraday Cage / EMP Shielded Storage Container - Prototype Questions! within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello all, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Lately I have been intrigued with the concept of a worst-case-scenario ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Faraday Cage / EMP Shielded Storage Container - Prototype Questions!

adk

Faraday Cage / EMP Shielded Storage Container - Prototype Questions!

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

Lately I have been intrigued with the concept of a worst-case-scenario EMP event. I consider the likelihood of such an event extremely low, though it got me thinking about how to protect items like flashlights, radios, etc. Since I store these items anyway, I figure it would be prudent to store them with some level of shielding.

I began my search on Google and on Amazon looking for a simple storage container that has between 40 - 80db of shielding. Besides the 'EMP-proof' bags (that have mixed results), I have only come across DIY articles using foil, plastic wrap, and galvanized steel.

All of these solutions seem incredibly inconvenient and totally conspicuous. Does anyone else agree?

Therefore, I have been working on a prototype that I consider to be a much more elegant solution. Essentially, I am creating a storage container that is much like what you probably already use for storage and organization in your house. The difference is that it will be shielded and offer protection for the contents inside. There are, of course, a few proprietary aspects of this that make it able to shield against an EMP.

I am posting because I would really like feedback on the idea:

- Does this sound like something you would be interested in buying? If so, what price point is the most you would be willing to pay?
    - Does it solve a need?
    - What other features/ ideas should I be considering?

If this seems like it has merit, I have a manufacturer lined up in the US (100% made on American soil!) and am ready to go into production.

I would really like to get into detailed discussions with interested members ASAP so please PM me or post your comments here.

Lastly - let's not turn this into 'this is dumb an EMP won't happen' debate. I believe there is some market demand for an item such as this, and I would like to get feedback from the people who agree.

Thank you everyone!

Best,

Alex

P.S. - If this does go into production the people who provide quality information and truly want to help will get a free product out of the first batch!

At the moment old microwaves (below) make excellent anti-EMP storage boxes, but they're pretty small and can only take small items like a radio, so a bigger box would definitely be worth having..
    Which raises the point as to what exactly do we need to protect apart from radios?

I believe any old microwave in good repair is an adequate emp shield as well as Jim has posted a cheap way to keep small objects shielded from emp. Could you sell some to average I have money prepper or sheeple in general. Prolly.

lolz Jim. Your on the ball aint ya.

adk
    Thanks for the responses!

Jim - agreed, a microwave is an effective shield for those who want to use it. I would say that the main differences in what I am proposing is:

- Storage space (families have a handful of flashlights, walkie talkies, an emergency radio, perhaps some fancy electronic weapons sites (that probably will be on the weapon to stay zero'd but some are expensive and people might prefer the extra protection), perhaps a spare laptop? All of these items are stored and organized as you want, versus fitting as much as possible into the microwave.

- Inconspicuous and easier to store - A microwave oven can't be stored under your bed (most likely). It could be stored in a closet, but that looks rather strange? Basement / garage = okay.

Asteroid - you are spot on with your analysis. I believe the target would be people who need more space to safely store the items mentioned above and they are the 'i have money to spend on prepping' and they keep clean, organized homes and organized preps. This container could be placed anywhere they already store items for prepping or normal things in containers like clothes or toys or books. It blends in and is more 'normal' versus a microwave.

Thank you for the candid responses! Keep 'em coming

Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidX View Post
    ..lolz Jim. Your on the ball aint ya.
    I've been a strategy and tactics wargame nut for years and it's taught me to automatically look at every possible angle, scenario and permutation that crops up in life, including hypothetical End of World survival situations. My motto is "Fight with your brain first and your weapons second"..

Just to digress slightly, an EM pulse will also blow out car and motorsickle ignitions but I don't recall ever hearing of a way of protecting them, so there's a definite gap in the market for some sort of protection there, maybe an EMP-proof garage?

PS-Or even better, some way of protecting the electronics while out on the road or parked in the open in case a pulse hits at those times.
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 12-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.

I'm confused on this subject. I see some of the people on here say the cage should be grounded and others say not to ground. I think not to ground. If there is no ground the voltage would not travel thru the cage at all. Put a ground on your cage and the voltage will want to travel thru your cage to get to ground. Why give the voltage a path thru your equipment?

I haven't studied it much but I think there is a lot of confusion between a large electrostatic charge and and EMF. An EMF would be like taking a magnet across some wires and the voltage would be depended upon the speed of the magnetic wave and the amount of wires or metal it comes in contact with. So if you have a radio with the antenna out it would produce a much higher voltage than with the antenna unhooked. Same thing with having something plugged into the wall outlet, If you have something put in a metal container like a metal garbage can the induced voltage would short out on itself and just produce heat, probably not enough you could measure. A lot of solid state circuits could be effected because the EMF could short out their miniature circuitry or wipe out the memory.

I dont want to derail this thread so Ill pose this a possible audience for your FARADAY cage audience:

automobiles: modern will be fubar due to the amount of electronics in them.

older: I know my 70 Chevy pickup has at the most 5 electronic parts that I can think of off the top of my head. This includes radio and defrost.
    parts that need to be in FARADAY secure location would be: points, alternator and starter.

feel free to correct this part list or update what a newer car would require to be FARADAY safe besides the garage idea.

I just thinking out load a wonder if my gun safe would work also.

Following net instructions, I EMP-proofed my radio like below by removing the batteries and wrapping it in a plastic bag, then wrapping it in kitchen foill. (The plastic bag is apparently needed to stop the foil from touching the radio) it now sits on a cupboard shelf waiting to be unwrapped and used on Doomsday.
    Whether it's 'grounded' or not I don't know, but i don't see how a pulse will be able to get past the foil to fry it.
    I'll research 'grounding' on the net and let you know what i find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads