How important are gas masks?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How important are gas masks? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have 2 M17 GAS masks with hoods, extra filters, carrying bags and water proof bags. I'm trying to decide if i should keep them ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How important are gas masks?

I have 2 M17 GAS masks with hoods, extra filters, carrying bags and water proof bags. I'm trying to decide if i should keep them or sell them to buy other preps. How important do you feel it is to have gas masks at hand and ready? BTW, the filters are NBC type.

Let me know your thought please... Thanks.
    survival likes this.

If I lived next to a chemical production plant, or rail line rich in ammonia tankers, or a fertilizer tank parking lot (they use ammonia a lot up here), I would keep it. Beyond that, it's a very low probability event. Even if a terrorist wanted to use such a weapon (as the Sarin attacks in the Japanese subways some years ago), it would only be effective in an enclosed and probably public spot (just like said subway stations). Probability of both needing it and having it on hand, nearly nil. I'd sell.
    Prepadoodle and Prepp(g)er like this.

Sale. I don't consider them important elements of my preps for I'm not planning on going to war with anyone that's going to gas me. Its far easier (in my case) to simply retreat again and again.
    This place has become more disturbing then SHTF.

Unless you can get a lot of money for them, I'd say stick them in the basement. If a nuclear weapon is detonated downwind of you, even on another continent, a mask would be useful against hot particles should the fallout track over your position. When I was a child, the fallout from Chinese and Russian atmospheric tests sometimes landed on Pennsylvania, and farmers had to have their milk tested before bringing it to market.
    hayden likes this.

Gas masks are not a life support tool. People think they will wear gas masks and live on for years after something happens.
    Fact of the matter is, the sole purpose and intent behind gasmasks are to extend the BATTLE FIELD LIFE of a soldier - not his overall life. The military has troops deploy with masks to keep a viable soldier longer. It keeps that gun working and helps extend that soldiers life with-in the fight but there is no expectation he will finish the fight.

When it comes time to put your mask on, you are F___ed. That mask means you aren't immediately F___ed and out of the fight - it means you are going to be F___ed sometime in the next 40 or so minutes so you better make the most of it.

As far as preppers are concerned, I see little to no value for gas masks unless you have some special local issue like a chem-plant or nuke power gen plant. For everyone else they are a waste of money. It will literally be the last thing I buy - if I ever get it at all. In all seriousness, SCUBA gear is more useful.

I'd sell them if I were you - but not to anyone that read this thread. These people just read how useless they are.
    sparkyprep and Maine-Marine like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks19 View Post
    I have 2 M17 GAS masks with hoods, extra filters, carrying bags and water proof bags. I'm trying to decide if i should keep them or sell them to buy other preps. How important do you feel it is to have gas masks at hand and ready? BTW, the filters are NBC type.

Let me know your thought please... Thanks.
    If you expect hazmat occurence they have a survival benefit but risk is minimal for most.

Bear in mind during civil unrest tear gas and other dipersants are likely. Places like Israel and countires with ongoing militancy are at increased risk.

The issue is such 1. You must carry you mask at all times for it to save you.

Very few events will have afvanced warning and you must monitor alert channels for that always. Additionally aside from industrial accidents .... survival is not guaranteed by a gas mask and you may wish you were dead if you survive.

Dont buy used gas masks ir filters. Buy from a supplier imo.

I wouldnt sell them. Train with one and generate a nrw source of capital for your new buys. Imo

Unless you can realize a meritted gain on the sale. I wouldnt sell them both at loss myself.

Ear protection and eye protection are more important
    Last edited by Will2; 01-19-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Gas masks are not a life support tool. People think they will wear gas masks and live on for years after something happens.
    Fact of the matter is, the sole purpose and intent behind gasmasks are to extend the BATTLE FIELD LIFE of a soldier - not his overall life. The military has troops deploy with masks to keep a viable soldier longer. It keeps that gun working and helps extend that soldiers life with-in the fight but there is no expectation he will finish the fight.

When it comes time to put your mask on, you are F___ed. That mask means you aren't immediately F___ed and out of the fight - it means you are going to be F___ed sometime in the next 40 or so minutes so you better make the most of it.

As far as preppers are concerned, I see little to no value for gas masks unless you have some special local issue like a chem-plant or nuke power gen plant. For everyone else they are a waste of money. It will literally be the last thing I buy - if I ever get it at all. In all seriousness, SCUBA gear is more useful.

I'd sell them if I were you - but not to anyone that read this thread. These people just read how useless they are.
    I do agree.. In central Indiana we have no close nuclear plants or chem plants, other than local farmer stores that have pesticides or ammonia on hand. I think i will get rid of them, i took them in on trade and didn't really need them so i figured I'd sell them or something.
    GTGallop likes this.

$50ea plus shipping, who wants them??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Unless you can get a lot of money for them, I'd say stick them in the basement. If a nuclear weapon is detonated downwind of you, even on another continent, a mask would be useful against hot particles should the fallout track over your position. When I was a child, the fallout from Chinese and Russian atmospheric tests sometimes landed on Pennsylvania, and farmers had to have their milk tested before bringing it to market.
    Keep in mind that gas mask filters are items that have expiration dates, and they do degrade significantly. Just an FYI.

Hmmmm. As you say, it's all about location. Since I live near a chemical plant with a history of minor venting events and an industrial gas plant, I feel they have some usefulness. And how far is far enough from a nuclear plant whose containment vessel has been breached by a fracking-induced quake? Shall we ask Toronto Gal?
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links