Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Garden Thread 2012

This is a discussion on Garden Thread 2012 within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Got my garden ready today. Used rototiller. Will have photo of it tomorrow. Here is what I got to go in it tomorrow. Texas Sweet ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Garden Thread 2012

Administrator

Garden Thread 2012

Got my garden ready today. Used rototiller. Will have photo of it tomorrow.

Here is what I got to go in it tomorrow.

Texas Sweet Onions Transplants (not sets) (White)

Stonehead Cabbage
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

Administrator

Re: Garden Thread 2012

Oh, and by the way, I am NOT using any chemicals or fertilizers this year. I want to see how they do before shtf in case I cannot buy any down the road. The plants was from the Lowes garden area, so yes on hybrid, and yes on pre chems and fertilizers, although I am still searching on the best places to get heirlooms.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

Administrator

I wanted to put the prices on this so that in the years that come I can refer back to this thread to see what they cost.

The stonehedge cabbage for 9 plants in a single tray was $2.98
    The Texas sweet onions for a bunch pack was $2.98.

There are some places around my town that is way much cheaper, but this is what Lowes had.
    ." -Fuzzee

Administrator

Got my Texas sweet onions planted and the stonehead cabbage today.

." -Fuzzee

I also tilled and planted garden #1 which was onion seeds, radishes which are already up, carrots, deer tongue lettuce, sorrel and tatsoi. Volunteer radishes are springing up everywhere and is the middle of March in Michigan! . Wife and youngest daughter planted 2 rows of peas and later i will put in some pea pods for stir fry. no chemicals except compost and rabbit manure. Rabbits appreciate hte fall planted kale and spinach too and I took the cold frame off the spinach. thekals was going to seed which makes it bitter tasting so I fed the tops to the bunnies. Indoors I just started tomatoes, broccoli, zinnias and snapdragons, Amish cantaloupe . I am so pumped about gardens this year that I may just dig up the whole county.... guerrilla gardener....
    Save your vegetable garbage and compost it, lawn clippings, leaves, any thing organic to make garden food. I plant potatoes and corn in trenches I fill with rabbit manure and compost. This year I will grow popcorn too! Garden #2 and #3 will go in in May or June.

Administrator

So tell me... that I'm fairly new to gardens, if they have plants at my local store outside that has already sprouted, then couldn't I go ahead and choose those types of plants to plant? For instance, some people will tell me that you cannot "plant" tomatoes right now, however the local lowes has tomatoe plants outside. They are covered by a roof, but still out where its cold at night time. Just wondering by a rule of thumb if what you see is local, can you go ahead and plant it?
    ." -Fuzzee

Administrator

I was able to get a row and a half of potatoes in today ($3 for a small 5lb bag), half of row of red onions (set bulbs) $.19 cents for about 15 of them, 9 spinach plants $2.99. And a rhubarb plant (free from family).

I also took some cane poles, and on each 4 corners of the garden I made trippods, took some fishing line, dropped the line halfway down and had a cdrom hanging, twirling. Scares off rabbits, chipmunks, squirels, deer, etc. Will post photos of it later this week.
    ." -Fuzzee

Administrator

Here is the rhubarb plant that I planted. Remember folks, the leaves are extremely toxic containing a poisons that are nephrotoxic! There is also an unidentified toxin that is present as well (thats scary). Please read up on ANYTHING you eat that you do not know about.

The stalks are used to make anything from pies to dried fruits. The Chineese used this for making a strong laxative

From reading other websites, the info is vague, but a stalk contains about 10-15 calories (not much), and a cup of it cut up is about 25 to 30 calories.

." -Fuzzee

Quote Originally Posted by survival
    So tell me... that I'm fairly new to gardens, if they have plants at my local store outside that has already sprouted, then couldn't I go ahead and choose those types of plants to plant? For instance, some people will tell me that you cannot "plant" tomatoes right now, however the local lowes has tomatoe plants outside. They are covered by a roof, but still out where its cold at night time. Just wondering by a rule of thumb if what you see is local, can you go ahead and plant it?
    I have lost so many plants this way. Why the stores put out these plants out so early, I don't know. I know that when I wait to buy them they are all gone. Now I will buy them, but keep them inside and watered until time to plant. I am using the farmers almanac moon time table to plant, according to my last frost date.
    I got my heirloom seeds in yesterday and started them indoors.

Here is a link for the farmers almanac moon plantings: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/
    survival likes this.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

When you do find the best place to get heirlooms please let us know. If you order them that is. Or find 'em at a national chain.
    I will fight until my last breath. I will bleed every drop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads