Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How can you tell if its heirloom?

This is a discussion on How can you tell if its heirloom? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; That is all I hear about is heirloom this and heirloom that. What if you find some seeds and you know they are tomato seeds, ...

How can you tell if its heirloom?

That is all I hear about is heirloom this and heirloom that. What if you find some seeds and you know they are tomato seeds, but don't know if they are heirloom. Who cares as long as the come up right? My real question, or rather statement is, what if you get some china mart seeds known hybrids and put them in a bag and sell them as heirloom? That is why I really don't trust someone that states its heirloom, how do you know? Just food for thought.

Re: How can you tell if its heirloom?

The main reason for using heirloom seeds is to keep the seeds from that harvest. They taste better too. Hybrid seeds don't have the same flavor. I usually order seeds from a seed catalog. I was looking for heirloom seeds at Walmart this week. All they have are hybrid seeds. I will just keep on ordering them. I usually use Burpees, or Gurneys. I found a new site that looks pretty good. http://www.heirloomseeds.com Prices are reasonable.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Re: How can you tell if its heirloom?

Buy from someone who has a reputation to protect. http://www.seedsavers.org/

Ads