Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Long Term storage of Flour and Grains

This is a discussion on Long Term storage of Flour and Grains within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I have heard by putting flour and other grains and dry goods in the freezer for about a week before storing will prevent bugs in ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Long Term storage of Flour and Grains

Long Term storage of Flour and Grains

I have heard by putting flour and other grains and dry goods in the freezer for about a week before storing will prevent bugs in the flour.
    Can you imagine opening you flour, cornmeal, pasta after a few years, only to find it full of wevills or mealy bugs. Bummer!
    Has anyone had this problem?
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Re: Long Term storage of Flour and Grains

I have! They are little black bugs that look like (mice poop), but smaller! I have went through so many bags its terrible! My mother always put all this stuff in the freezer but I never asked why. I surely hope that she never feed me these bugs! From what I read before, they are shipped with a few bugs in them where the processing hasn't taken them out and of course they multiply. Bird seed is the same way. I have had bird sead go very bad before where the bugs have clumped the sead up together. The best way to get rid of these (after) electric might go out is to have mylar bags and O2 absorbers where nothing can grow in the bags. I know its expensive, but just get enough for a few months to a year.

I have also read that you can scatter Bay leaves around your flour and grains and that is is a deterrent to the bugs.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

i was eating cereal once and half way through, i saw the weavels in my bowl. i instantly through up. it traumatized me from eating cereal until a year later i was able to finally eat a granola bar. since then. i buy the resealable cereal bags and i keep my cereal in the refrigerator.

It's protein... just sayin'.
    preppermama and DPayne like this.
    I will fight until my last breath. I will bleed every drop.

Super Moderator

vac sealed grains will keep a long time and there's no air for the bugs to breathe so it stays infestation free
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    vac sealed grains will keep a long time and there's no air for the bugs to breathe so it stays infestation free
    I always store my grains and beans in Mylar bags with at least 1 2000cc oxygen absorber in each bag. I iron seal all but one corner and then use the wifey's vacuum cleaner with the crevice tool to suck all the remaining air out of the bag before I seal the corner. Sucks the bag around the product and then I store it in a HYDE 5 gallon bucket with a "O" ring seal lid. In my opinion grains and beans stored like this will be consumable for 7 to 12 years. The color might degrade over time but the product will still be viable.
    "What Goes Around Comes Around...I Just Make Get There Faster"

Where do you get these oxygen absorber's? I live in a single wide with my wife, 3 kids, and mooching brother in law so space is limited. I'm about to rent a small storage unit and get started but I don't know what iron sealing is or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by amym505
    I have heard by putting flour and other grains and dry goods in the freezer for about a week before storing will prevent bugs in the flour.
    Can you imagine opening you flour, cornmeal, pasta after a few years, only to find it full of wevills or mealy bugs. Bummer!
    Has anyone had this problem?
    My wife's always frozen that stuff for a few days before she puts it in the pantry. She said it's what her grandma did. I never knew it was true.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan
    Where do you get these oxygen absorber's? I live in a single wide with my wife, 3 kids, and mooching brother in law so space is limited. I'm about to rent a small storage unit and get started but I don't know what iron sealing is or anything like that.
    U can buy them on ebay. Or I heard u can use the hand warmers too. And YouTube how to store food. shows u many great ways to store food long term.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads