Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thoughts on the value of Seeds

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the value of Seeds within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I see a lot of people list seeds as a main item in a BOB or other survival kit. And... I always try to analyze ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the value of Seeds

Thoughts on the value of Seeds

I see a lot of people list seeds as a main item in a BOB or other survival kit. And... I always try to analyze the value of each item I might carry. So I thought I would run some pros and cons on seeds to see if they were essential for me. I listed a few and I'm sure you guys can help me come up with more.

Pros:
    Lightweight
    Small footprint in pack
    "Eventually" provide food
    Potential trade item

Cons:
    Take a long time to grow (which means I have to stay in one place long enough to harvest them)
    Can only be planted at the right season
    "Eventually" provide food
    Can waste many if I'm unfamiliar with the growing conditions of wherever I end up
    Most likely won't have any type of irrigation to keep them alive
    Can't pick up growing plants and bug out

So... I wanted to find a better way to make this work. My solution: Plant the seeds NOW. Meaning: each time I scout out my potential survival area... I should take some seeds and plant them. This does several things: 1) It helps me learn what grows in the local soil and local weather conditions. 2) If they grow, they should propagate and my local food source will slowly start to increase. 3) They should attract wildlife that I can hunt. 4) I learn what impact local wildlife has on my crops so I can adjust accordingly. 5) Most people won't notice them as they "hunt" the area

Then... I thought.... what grows best in my area? Obvious answer: local vegetation. And, since much of the local vegetation is edible, my next thought was to learn everything I can about local edible plants. Collect seeds at the appropriate time, and help nature propagate these plants as well. Again... the benefits 1) I learn to collect and use local vegetation. 2) I learn where it is at 3) I attract local wildlife that I can hunt. 4) Just about everyone will ignore them as local weeds. And I'm sure there are other benefits as well.

I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this. I'd probably still carry seeds... but they would become secondary, and could be saved until things settled down and I found a more or less permanent location to remain in.
    PrepperRecon.com likes this.

Gardens don't just grow, you have to work at them. After all, when was the last time you tripped over your favorite veggies growing wild? The3 day I find a field full of Big Boy peas, broccoli and tomatoes growing wild will be the day I quit work.

Sure, there are wild plants that are edible, but from what I've learned so far, there is a reason we don't eat them. Either they aren't the best tasting or they don't sit so well.

I think if it is possible, having a predetermined BOL and the right seeds to take is a good idea. For example, work with someone who is already living on a "bug-out" location, like a friend in the country. That's what I've done. Depending upon the scenario, me and mine might have to go that direction, or he and his might want to blend into the town and away from tyrannical take-over of farms.
    PrepperRecon.com likes this.

well should shit be long term, i think of seeds as currency/commodity. a buy into a colony. same thing with hand tools my friend, his bride and i have gotten quite the collection of hand tools at his house. we lok at it as currency. and we'll be king pins. if theres no gas or electricity to run saws,tillers blowers what ever. he has the things for his horses to work pull farm machinery and a passenger wagon. we look at seeds and hand tools as comodity. and knowing how to work with our hands, the old school way...not just technology.

thats very smart to pre plant. im not a land owner, so id have to tress pass. not worth doing right now- for me-but a grand idea.

I agree seeds will be in great demand. Great barter tool. I live in Mich. so very short growing season here.
    PrepperRecon.com and shotlady like this.

I always try to buy bulk seeds for what I try to grow. This is my third year gardening and I am still learning a lot about what will and won't grow and when it will grow. There is quite a learning curve with seeds. I think they could be a bartering item, but I would recommend trying to grow the seeds you stockpile. Failure now means going to the grocery. Failure post shtf means eating bugs
    shotlady likes this.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20

http://prepperrecon.com/

We just got back into having a garden this year and now I need to get a stock of seeds....
    shotlady likes this.

Vegie Seeds, especially the re-generating type, would be very useful in bartering, along with growing your own foods.
    But don't really see a need for them in my bob, as they could get damp and mildew, be useless for bugging out and they won't taste good when really hungry.
    shotlady likes this.

I read somewhere to not store the seeds in Mylar any one know about this? I also read keep them in the freezer ?
    shotlady likes this.

Watercanlady, we keep our seeds in the freezer, but haven't tried them out as yet. This spring, we will take out some of the seeds, plant them and see what happens. Until then, it is mostly hearsay I believe. Have never heard of problems storing them in Mylar bags. But who really knows ! Try some and see what happens,.
    shotlady likes this.

Thanks Nadja....
    shotlady likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads