Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thoughts on the value of Seeds

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the value of Seeds within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Interesting discussion... thanks for the feedback. I both agree and disagree with Denton on the taste. We don't eat them because we don't know how ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the value of Seeds

Interesting discussion... thanks for the feedback. I both agree and disagree with Denton on the taste. We don't eat them because we don't know how to prepare them and thus... they taste like crap. I've been watching a lot of videos on wild food prep. Everyone agrees that the "salad" type greens all have awesome flavors IF picked at the right time of the year. The ones that require prep... i.e., grinding, roasting, baking, etc... are the ones that have the best nutritional value but taste like crap if not prepared right. And that... is my latest interest: to turn crap into something worth eating.

What I find interesting is that all of our modern "garden" plants were once wild plants that we learned how to cultivate and tweaked to grow better in our yard conditions. I'm interested in making the wild work for me... not against me. Especially since I don't a BOL with an established garden. And I think Barter is a great idea... in other words... trade for what I need and let the other guy deal with the frustration of turning seeds into food.

I like to have our fresh veggies from my garden. I would rather grow my own than to depend on someone else to do it for me.

I just packed our seeds into freezer ziplocks for a good seal and then in turn packed those into a back pack. Have enough that they have their own bag!! I think they are invaluable!! We grow a large garden each year and i always save seed from the best looking fruit from the best plants.. Have had success every year with growing seeds from the year before. Just be sure the package says heirloom seed!!! Most seed companies have gone to great lengths to produce a seed that once grown into a plant, does not reproduce. This assures that you return to them to purchase more seed. heirlooms are out there, but if it doesnt say heirloom dont expect anything back out of them.

I really am interested in trying to find someone who can show me the ropes on whats edible in our area and what is not! Know there is so much out there thats poisonous. Have purchased books with detailed info on this, but still have that fear of picking up the wrong thing.

And hadnt thought of using seeds to barter with!! Was gonna hoard them for myself!! But I agree, so many that will be worried about trying to find whats left of prepackaged crap from the shelves, they wont think seed.

also make sure to have a farmers alminac handy. they make smaller sized ones for your area. i have one in my bob just in case

Oh yeah, seeds will be like Gold if the situation is long term! Heirlooms will be near priceless I would imagine and a much coveted commodity.

I wouldnt suggest just going out and planting some seeds. First a garden does indeed require some work and maintenance if its going to be a successful and productive garden. Thats the simple reality of the matter. There are not going to be too many things that you can get established, that will replenish itself and out compete the weeds and brush season after season. There are a few things that under the right conditions if well established initially might be viable. Things such as Strawberries, Black Berries, Blue Berries, Onions, Okra and Garlic are a few that come to mind. Fruit trees might be a better option though if your willing to go out once a year and prune them a bit so they arent out of control and stay sturdy so the branches dont break under the weight of fruit and make them suseptable to desiase. For the most part I have a feeling your going to find that tossing out a bunch of seeds just aint going to be too worth while or productive.

The other issue that I think a lot of folks forget to take into consideration is just how much seeds and how large a garden it does take to reliably grow enough veggies to meet a family of 4's needs! A pack or two of Tomato or water mellon might get you a good start but for things like Carrots, Lettuce, Beans, Broccoli, Corn (especially!!!) and dozens of others you will find that you will need a couple dozen packs minimum and thats if your successful your first year with your garden and seed saving. Growing up our gardens were easily 100 x 50 feet and we still occasionally had to buy food at the store during the growing season although not much. I cant begin to tell you how many hours as a kid we spent watching TV with a bushel basket of beans or corn shuckimng or shelling it. 30 years later I am still tramatized as a rersult and having nightmares LOL. Ah yes... those were the good ol' days.

always have plenty of seeds. there are some varieties of radishes that take just over 3 weeks to grow. you can grow them like weeds in a large bucket and carry it with you. lots of different kinds of veggies like that

To me there are a couple obvious responses concerning the initial post. First, if you don't know something and have interest in it for prepping, learn it now. I wish I had more free time and space to practice gardening. As it stands now, I'm in a very rigorous academic program (you can probably figure it out from my name), and won't be in the same place more than 2 months at a time starting in May, so gardening is out of the question for me for the foreseeable future.

2nd, you are right. Seeds to me are not a wise choice for the bug out back itself. Maybe a couple, but are you really going to lug around a coffee can sized container if you have to travel hundreds of miles on foot if SHTF? I think the obvious fix to this situation is a further level of preparation, and that is to prepare your bug out location in addition to your current location. Starting a wild garden right now doesn't seem logical to me. There's too much out of your control at the present time. Animals, fires, droughts, etc... I am looking into hiding my seeds at my bug out location. Luckily for me, I have a standing structure at mine, but burying the seeds in their designer bucket/box seems like an alternate way to go.

Finally comes protection. It really I guess goes back to my previous point about practicality of storing, planting, or carrying seeds. If you carry or plant them, how do you protect that asset in transit? If you carry them, you may lose them to barter or many other things. If you plant them, you can't defend against natural disaster or animals.

The winning choice to me is to store your seeds where you plan to ride out whatever you are preparing for. You aren't going to get any growth with them stowed in your pack and you won't get any food with them planted ahead of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ads