160 Gallon Water Reserve - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

160 Gallon Water Reserve

This is a discussion on 160 Gallon Water Reserve within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have ponds, large lake next door, a spring , a well so water storage for me is not a big concern. I could see ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 160 Gallon Water Reserve

I have ponds, large lake next door, a spring , a well so water storage for me is not a big concern. I could see how for many it would be - in hurricane alley, in a city with earthquakes, a city with only the public water system for a source.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I ordered one of these from Emergency Essentials last week. Seems to be a real nice product and I like that it is stackable & will fit thru normal doors. Two of these stacked would take up very little floor space but provide the water of about six 55 gallon drums. The FDA-approved high-density plastic is non-permeable and BPA-free. Enhanced with a special UV resistant formula to provide the longest shelf life for both the water and the tank. Filling and draining the tank is easy with the two included lead-free faucets. https://beprepared.com/160-gallon-water-reserve.html

One thing I've learned when ordering from these folks is to place the item in your shopping cart, then close out the page & ignore it for a bit. When you come back, they will offer you all sorts of deals to complete the order. Can be free freight or in my case it was an additional 15% off the entire order. This is of course based upon you having an account setup so that the shopping cart is not deleted when you don't checkout immediately.

The unit cost $369.99 but I got a $55.50 discount with that 15% off. Freight was only $12, which amazed me.

I'm eyeing one myself but need to wait until we move to a more permanent location. Right now I've got lots of carboys, water cans and bobs that can be filled when others are panic buying bottled water. Got about 18 gallons set aside for natural disasters.

A huge point lost on a lot of people is that ability to filter heavy metals and other pollutants from your water sources. I'd invest in high quality filters to garnish those reserves if you haven't already.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    A huge point lost on a lot of people is that ability to filter heavy metals and other pollutants from your water sources. I'd invest in high quality filters to garnish those reserves if you haven't already.
    Good point. I have some filtration but should not be needed. I'm on a well with no industry around. Very little farming either but lots of cattle & woods.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Those big bad boys look like they would work pretty well. So far we have gone down this road:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-...9410-03/872426

They are only slightly more expensive and easier to move. We use our units as a 2-unit thick wall in the safe room. We have other plastic barrels for Non-Potable Water. Those we get from the local car washes. I think the last ones were $35.00. They used to be cheaper.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - 'Mad Dog' James Mattis - Call Sign 'Chaos'

"In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table" - Steely Dan

Thought I'd mention another option. Around here you can get these food grade 250 gallon containers for free. Flush them out and your in business. Put a couple in the garage or out building.

We have this one set up for watering the plants and garden. Rain gutter run into the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 160 Gallon Water Reserve-dsc01494.jpg  

Redneck and Maol9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Thought I'd mention another option. Around here you can get these food grade 250 gallon containers for free. Flush them out and your in business. Put a couple in the garage or out building.

We have this one set up for watering the plants and garden. Rain gutter run into the top.
    How the heck are you getting those for free Chipper?

We want to that exactly. Well almost, we want it to be a little farther away from the house and in a preexisting hole.
    Last edited by Maol9; 05-17-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - 'Mad Dog' James Mattis - Call Sign 'Chaos'

"In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table" - Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Good point. I have some filtration but should not be needed. I'm on a well with no industry around. Very little farming either but lots of cattle & woods.
    What other ways can wells be compromised? Was reading briefly on privately owned wells. Do you have water test kits? Your well is fine now but what about in 10 years and along the calendar in between. Do you have the ability to fix it if your water test kits detect something present in a shtf?
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    What other ways can wells be compromised? Was reading briefly on privately owned wells. Do you have water test kits? Your well is fine now but what about in 10 years and along the calendar in between. Do you have the ability to fix it if your water test kits detect something present in a shtf?
    I don't know of any way to compromise a well without someone putting lots of bad chemicals in the ground. We are blessed with living above a huge underground aquifer. No one here has test kits as there has never been a problem. A lot of that has to do with the very sandy soil around here, which filters water percolating down thru the soil. Being very rural means no industry discharging any waste. If anything, during a SHTF, our environment will improve greatly... not get worse.
    RJAMES and Ragnarök like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

I've got two setups like that at the house (metal roof). I usually gravity feed those in garden hoses down to the vegetable garden where I have more tanks and 55-gal barrels. I need to work on my slow sand filter system as that I plan on gravity feeding from that into 55-gal drums in the basement. The plan is to sawyer filters between the slow sand and the potable storage barrels. Those can get pool shocked/bleached if long term storage is needed.

One more thing is important with the rainwater collection. Add some screening around the top where the rain gutter feeds in (the downspout too), otherwise you make a mosquito/insect breeding tank. Another option is to add some Bt mosquito dunks to the tank, the Bt is non-toxic to plants and animals. Algae and fungal growth can also cause problems with the clear tanks in the sunlight.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 05-17-2017 at 07:59 PM.

We are presently in the middle of building a house with a very deep well. Because of that, I wanted an above ground water tank. We went with a 1550 gallon above ground tank with a secondary 2 gallon pressure tank. So far it works great. And having a 1 year supply of water (if rationed) above ground for 2 people in the middle of the desert is not a bad thing.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links