1 In 6 On Antidepressants? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

1 In 6 On Antidepressants?

This is a discussion on 1 In 6 On Antidepressants? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Sonya It can happen but it is much less likely. Having dependent children is well known to prevent suicide in women. On ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: 1 In 6 On Antidepressants?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    It can happen but it is much less likely. Having dependent children is well known to prevent suicide in women. On the flipside if they do decide to kill themselves it isn't unheard of for them to take the kids along, so to speak. Not because they are in an SSRI induced rage and angry at the world, but because they can't bear to abandon their kids. In many cases it is to "all stay together".

Men that kill their own kids (in cold blood, vs child abuse) usually do it to punish others, in particular the children's mother.
    Whether they do it for "selfless" reasons or vicious ones, immaterial.

We have people on the streets who need more assistance than a prescription. We also have people who need to learn to handle reality who are given prescriptions by doctors who simply yield to the demands of the weak-minded patients.
    Inor and inceptor like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Whether they do it for "selfless" reasons or vicious ones, immaterial.

We have people on the streets who need more assistance than a prescription. We also have people who need to learn to handle reality who are given prescriptions by doctors who simply yield to the demands of the weak-minded patients.
    I have never heard of a link between SSRI's and female homicide, but because they do increase the risk of suicide when first started I am assuming there may be cases out there.

You may not care but there are some sentient individuals on the board that may take an interest in the matter. Not just because of the risks involved, but also because in a TETWAWKI situation family members and other loved ones could easily be threatened with hard core depression if unrelenting stress gets the best of them.

Understanding what causes it can help mitigate or prevent it, and not everyone would think "good riddence" if one of their kids, or their spouse, or their sister was hit hard with depression and ended up opening their veins as a result.
    All I can say is what I have observed spending 50 years on this planet. The folks I have known that have been on these meds usually started them because of some temporary event in their lives, losing a wife or husband, etc. The doctor prescribes something to get them through the rough patch and they end up permanently taking ever increasing doses just to "stay normal". These drugs create crazy people.

In a SHTF world, the crazy people are going die right along with the rest of us. It seems to me, if you are interested in saving as many lives as possible, it would be prudent to not create so many crazy people to begin with.
    Last edited by Inor; 12-18-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Denton likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I have never heard of a link between SSRI's and female homicide, but because they do increase the risk of suicide when first started I am assuming there may be cases out there.
    https://uniteforlife.wordpress.com/2...tidepressants/

Why are you trying to make this a female thing, by the way? Are you thinking gender or motives make a difference after the lives are lost?
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

I am taking an antibiotic for the next 7 days.... my sinuses are crazy

but ya the "crazy" things are over prescribed...
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    All I can say is what I have observed spending 50 years on this planet. The folks I have known that have been on these meds usually started them because of some temporary event in their lives, losing a wife or husband, etc. The doctor prescribes something to get them through the rough patch and they end up permanently taking ever increasing doses just to "stay normal". These drugs create crazy people.

In a SHTF world, the crazy people are going die right along with the rest of us. It seems to me, if you are interested saving as many lives as possible, it would be prudent to not create so many crazy people to begin with.
    Opiates are currently widely abused/overused in our society. Does that mean that no one taking them actually needs them? That cancer patients of those undergoing major surgery should be denied the pain killers because most people that take them are addicted?

True hard core untreated clinical depression is very ugly. The person may remain functional and hold down a job, but beyond their life is not worth living. They have no desire to socialize, have sex, enjoy activities, etc... and they have a darn hard time taking care of family obligations. It can go on for years without even a tiny break. Many will turn to alcohol for temporary relief and that creates it's own set of problems. Others will sleep at every given opportunity, including all weekend to avoid conscious thought.

Now some may say "well fine they should just kill themselves" but for many that isn't an easy option because they DO have kids or other dependents.

The drugs are life savers in those situations, and for many, especially people that don't like to visit doctors and aren't regular pill poppers, they do not stay on them forever. After several months or so individuals can get off of them and remain normal.

Life is too short to live in a virtual hell for years on end when there IS a possible solution. It also isn't fair for those that live with them.
    Last edited by Sonya; 12-18-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Super Moderator

Opiates are currently widely abused/overused in our society. Does that mean that no one taking them actually needs them? That cancer patients of those undergoing major surgery should be denied the pain killers because most people that take them are addicted?

True hard core untreated clinical depression is very ugly. The person may remain functional and hold down a job, but beyond their life is not worth living. They have no desire to socialize, have sex, enjoy activities, etc... and they have a darn hard time taking care of family obligations. It can go on for years without even a tiny break. Many will turn to alcohol for temporary relief and that creates it's own set of problems. Others will sleep at every given opportunity, including all weekend to avoid conscious thought.

Now some may say "well fine they should just kill themselves" but for many that isn't an easy option because they DO have kids or other dependents.

The drugs are life savers in those situations, and for many, especially people that don't like to visit doctors and aren't regular pill poppers, they do not stay on them forever. After several months or so individuals can get off of them and remain normal.

Life is too short to live in a virtual hell for years on end when there IS a possible solution. It also isn't fair for those that live with them.
    Sonya, are you saying that every prescription is necessary?
    Hidden Content
    Dr. Gregory House

Of course not. But some here are saying antidepressants are NEVER needed, or that anyone who takes one should be locked up in an asylum and given shock treatments.

Real depression is very ugly, people can lose years of their life in a fog, and if they have small kids during that time it is horrible for the children and everyone else involved. It is like living with a zombie. People that haven't experienced it don't understand how bad it can be.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

She cant be making such a statement, it isn't accurate. These drugs are extremely over prescribed, the occasions where they are needed lack an exit strategy. An overwhelming majority of these "crisis" situations should be temporary and any medication should be monitored past the initial prescription with an end date in mind. Without an exit strategy a true healing never becomes a reality. The condition continues and even worse it starts a cycle among the other family members.
    Denton likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Here's a few. Or maybe you want to claim it's fake news?

ANTIDEPRESSANTS: Murder-Suicide: Woman Kills Husband, 2 Year Old Son ? INTERNATIONAL COALITION FOR DRUG AWARENESS

Mother Who Killed Her Five Children Was On Anti-Depressant HALDOL

https://ssristories.org/woman-tries-...w-in-the-past/

https://ssristories.org/family-of-a-...tawa-magazine/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links