Anyone Familiar With The Instove Cooker?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Anyone Familiar With The Instove Cooker? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have several rocket stoves, from homemade using stacked fire bricks to commercial ones, such as the Ecozoom Versa. I have been studying up on ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Anyone Familiar With The Instove Cooker?

I have several rocket stoves, from homemade using stacked fire bricks to commercial ones, such as the Ecozoom Versa. I have been studying up on these larger ones developed mainly for 3rd world countries. Instove has had their 60 liter & 100 liter models, designed for feeding large groups but has recently come out with a 20 liter version (5.3 gallons)... which seems to me would be perfect for preppers. These are all stainless & come with the pot, which you can choose aluminum or stainless.

The efficencies of these stoves really impress me. I like the fact, as a prepper that if operated properly, it produces almost no smoke. With addition of some extra vent pipe, where you duct the emissions outside, they can be operated indoors. They are insulated and are safe to touch and are designed to work with All-American pressure cookers/canners too. The design takes the heat/smoke back down around the side of the pot prior to exiting thru the duct. That heats up the sides of the pot as well as the bottom. The largest model has the option of pasteurizing drinking water. Some folks have made an option for it to generate electricity.

Anyone here used one?

InStove | Multi-use Institutional Rocket Stoves

Last edited by Redneck; 11-30-2016 at 09:24 AM.
    Targetshooter likes this.

The technology is proven and works as we who own Rocket Stoves can attest.

However at $1000 for the big stove, I could hire a team of 3r World Cooks and have them cook for me for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    The technology is proven and works as we who own Rocket Stoves can attest.

However at $1000 for the big stove, I could hire a team of 3r World Cooks and have them cook for me for a long time!
    My understanding is that was designed for a rather large community. That is why I'm interested in the smallest unit but even then it is expensive. That being said, I can see the value of such a large cooker if you are part of a prepper group, where you would have to feed lots of folks & could spread out the cost between multiple families.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Looks like you could make moonshine in that thing.
    "I shall die with weapons in my hands."
    -St Therese of Lisieux

I am not familiar with it. I think you could use cinder blocks and some fire bricks to build yourself an outdoor cooker that would be more useful . Just get a Couple pots/ kettles to go on it. Soap making, cooking, open water bath canning of high acid foods, boiling water for clothes washing, rendering fat, scolding a hog, processing chickens. Build a collector/ condenser to go with that pot and make liquor .
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Looks very cool thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    I am not familiar with it. I think you could use cinder blocks and some fire bricks to build yourself an outdoor cooker that would be more useful . Just get a Couple pots/ kettles to go on it. Soap making, cooking, open water bath canning of high acid foods, boiling water for clothes washing, rendering fat, scolding a hog, processing chickens. Build a collector/ condenser to go with that pot and make liquor .
    Yep, I have the fire bricks & screens to make a rockets stove, as well as 3 different commercially made ones. This one seems much better than any I have, or have ever seen. As I said originally, the ability to cook indoor on a rocket stove could be rather useful I think.

You can purchase a water purification system that operates on these. Firevolt uses these units as the heat source for their electric generator.
    RJAMES likes this.

so ah, uhm, like how portable is it?
    i'll keep my biolite thanks for the thoughtfulness.
    BioLite CampStove | Burn Wood, Cook Meals, Charge Gear
    nothing to see here, move along.

I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I think the design is too limiting for prepping. Look as if it would work great for boiling water in a pot but frying something in a skillet not so much. The flam is too far away. I have the silver fire hunter and the survivor both stoves work great but each have their advantages.
    A Watchman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links