Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Best food(s) for dehydrating?

6K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  Slippy 
#1 ·
I would like everyone's opinion on the best food or foods to be dehydrated.

Personally, I'm thinking for a medium to long term food storage, what should I be focusing on?

But, if you want to also answer the best short term ( favorite tasting) please do so.

This dehydrator newbie wants to hear it all.

#35 ·
I have a cheap dehydrator from academy. It works decent but I've had really bad luck with bananas. They turn out mushy. Nothing like the banana chips you can buy at the store. I have had good luck with apples and frozen veggies bought on sale at the store. I dehydrated them and vacuum sealed them for use in soups and stews. Mrs Inor has some really good tips on it. She even dehydrates cans of tomato sauce into some kind of concentrate. My next project is to do my own jerky.

I picked up this book as well. It's been very helpful so far.

Food Human body Recipe Ingredient Dish

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dehydrator-Bible-Includes-Recipes/dp/0778802132

#36 ·
we dehydrated mainly vegetables from the garden & frozen cubed hashbrowns

some like storing their dehydrated vegetables or fruit in glass jars, I like mylar bags then sliding the mylar bag using vacuum bags and sealing them. this IMO gives you more space and beable to portion control for meals.

Reactions: Slippy
#40 ·
Groovy PaulS,

I'll try that next batch. So far the apples sprinkled in cinnamon have been a winner. At 5 hours and 130 degrees F, they were fantastic. I'll not be storing them as me and Mrs Slippy have eaten most of them already.

Next up will be the strawberries at 8 hours.

#41 ·
I slice tomatoes and zuccini and sprinkle on popcorn flavorings -- parmesan/garlic is my favorite - and dry them crispy. Then use them as chips -- great in Greek yogurt for a dip! It's my favorite way to eat dried veggies (only so much soup can be had), so it's downright pleasant to rotate the stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.