Pneumonia Treatment and Supplies
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Pneumonia Treatment and Supplies within the First Aid and Medical Preparedness forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Some one on another thread asked me to explain a little about what went on and what kind of stuff might be needed to add ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Pneumonia Treatment and Supplies

Some one on another thread asked me to explain a little about what went on and what kind of stuff might be needed to add to preps so I figured I would post it here also.

Right before Christmas my 12 year old son came down with the flu/stomach flue. After about a week he started to get worse so my wife took him to the emergency room. Turns out he had Pneumonia. It was pretty bad in his one lung my wife said it was pure black on the X ray. Luckily after antibiotics and an inhalor he is better.

Then my 14 year old son came down with the flu/stomach flu a few days before Christmas. Same thing he got worse and had to go to the emergency room. Turns out he has Pneumonia and Strep Throat. After the antibiotics the Strep Throat is being handled but the Pneumonia was kicking his butt. The doctor thinks that it was viral.

This is kind of an after action report on what happened and how you can try to prepare for this type of emergency.

Fluids IV and oral were a big thing thru out the ordeal. My 12 year old pneumonia was bacterial but they were not positive on my 14 year old. They thought it may have been viral. My 12 year old got anti nausea medication, antibiotics and an inhaler albuterol sulfate. On the inhaler it says each metered dose contains 117 mcg of albuterol sulfate and a dose was one puff. One puff twice a day.

I have an inhaler for occasional bronchitis. I looked at the package and it says it is Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation Aerosol. Albuterol 90mcg (CFC-F) 200D Oral Inhalation, Inhale 2 puffs by mouth every four hours as needed for shortness of breath. I believe the brand name is Proventil. So basically my inhaler is the exact same thing but at a lower dose per puff. I believe this is a multi use medication for the lungs to open them up so they can breath better. May pay to have some of this on hand.

My 14 year old at one point was on a ventilator machine, kept sedated, I don't remember what the drugs were for that. He was on like 4 different antibiotics, one of them was ampicillion. The antibiotics were all IV given. Several pain medications, one of them were Methodone. I believe some of the pain meds were to help sedate him. Same with the pain meds they were thru the IV. He also had a urine catheter in him until he regained conscious. Everyone had to don a gown, face mask and gloves. Hand sanitizer before entry into his room and at exit.

Once he regained conscience the meds were still given thru the IV. He was kept on Oxygen with the little nozzle that is attached to the nostrils. Mask and gloves still had to be used because of his immune system. Some thing to note, as his antibiotics were stopped and pain meds were reduced he started to have a reaction and got a full body rash. Something to do with the different chemicals having a reaction. Apparently he is allergic to one of the meds and when he was taking everything at full force the allergy was subdued but when he was being weened off the medications the allergy became dominate and started the rash. Nothing you can do for it so he has been taking a lot of showers and baths.

Were putting him on the gummy probiotics to help supplement his immune system. Were trying to get him to drink or eat anything he wants just so he gets some calories in him. He was able to eat some chicken noodle soup tonight so that was a good thing.

For preps, things that I'm going to add or supplement are:

Something I am adding is probiotics for immune system support. From now on as soon as anybody starts getting that icky feeling they start taking them. I don't remember what it is called but there is something else that you can take to help get rid of colds quicker, it has vitamin C, Zinc and something else I believe.

I am going to expand my antibiotic supply.

I have to buy some anti nausea medication. Besides the very expensive prescription, I did not previously stock up on any.

I need to find a source for IV. Most of the places online require you to get a prescription. I already have the catheters and lines just need the bags. All the bags that I had are long expired.

I have a CPAP. Its going to be a piss poor substitute for Oxygen but its something to push air into you. It will just have to be sanitized before the patient can use it.

Like I mentioned I already have inhalers. VA pretty much gives me an endless supply.

You probably wont have catheters to drain the bladder so you will want to get those waterproof puppy pads to protect the bedding and adult diapers. This will also help for bowel movements. Something else to consider is other medical problems where the patient has uncontrolled diarrhea

You will want lots of gloves, face masks and if you cant find disposable gowns then tyvek coveralls will work. Because of the costs you can re use the coveralls but you will want to sanitize them between uses. Dip them in a bleach solution and Lysol the crap out of them.

I need to stock up on Lysol/Walmart brand disinfectant. The sanitizing wipes are good to have but if you stock up on them they will dry out. I do stock up excessively but I do keep a good supply on hand. As they are used, it then goes on the grocery list.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    Some one on another thread asked me to explain a little about what went on and what kind of stuff might be needed to add to preps so I figured I would post it here also.

Right before Christmas my 12 year old son came down with the flu/stomach flue. After about a week he started to get worse so my wife took him to the emergency room. Turns out he had Pneumonia. It was pretty bad in his one lung my wife said it was pure black on the X ray. Luckily after antibiotics and an inhalor he is better.

Then my 14 year old son came down with the flu/stomach flu a few days before Christmas. Same thing he got worse and had to go to the emergency room. Turns out he has Pneumonia and Strep Throat. After the antibiotics the Strep Throat is being handled but the Pneumonia was kicking his butt. The doctor thinks that it was viral.

This is kind of an after action report on what happened and how you can try to prepare for this type of emergency.

Fluids IV and oral were a big thing thru out the ordeal. My 12 year old pneumonia was bacterial but they were not positive on my 14 year old. They thought it may have been viral. My 12 year old got anti nausea medication, antibiotics and an inhaler albuterol sulfate. On the inhaler it says each metered dose contains 117 mcg of albuterol sulfate and a dose was one puff. One puff twice a day.

I have an inhaler for occasional bronchitis. I looked at the package and it says it is Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation Aerosol. Albuterol 90mcg (CFC-F) 200D Oral Inhalation, Inhale 2 puffs by mouth every four hours as needed for shortness of breath. I believe the brand name is Proventil. So basically my inhaler is the exact same thing but at a lower dose per puff. I believe this is a multi use medication for the lungs to open them up so they can breath better. May pay to have some of this on hand.

My 14 year old at one point was on a ventilator machine, kept sedated, I don't remember what the drugs were for that. He was on like 4 different antibiotics, one of them was ampicillion. The antibiotics were all IV given. Several pain medications, one of them were Methodone. I believe some of the pain meds were to help sedate him. Same with the pain meds they were thru the IV. He also had a urine catheter in him until he regained conscious. Everyone had to don a gown, face mask and gloves. Hand sanitizer before entry into his room and at exit.

Once he regained conscience the meds were still given thru the IV. He was kept on Oxygen with the little nozzle that is attached to the nostrils. Mask and gloves still had to be used because of his immune system. Some thing to note, as his antibiotics were stopped and pain meds were reduced he started to have a reaction and got a full body rash. Something to do with the different chemicals having a reaction. Apparently he is allergic to one of the meds and when he was taking everything at full force the allergy was subdued but when he was being weened off the medications the allergy became dominate and started the rash. Nothing you can do for it so he has been taking a lot of showers and baths.

Were putting him on the gummy probiotics to help supplement his immune system. Were trying to get him to drink or eat anything he wants just so he gets some calories in him. He was able to eat some chicken noodle soup tonight so that was a good thing.

For preps, things that I'm going to add or supplement are:

Something I am adding is probiotics for immune system support. From now on as soon as anybody starts getting that icky feeling they start taking them. I don't remember what it is called but there is something else that you can take to help get rid of colds quicker, it has vitamin C, Zinc and something else I believe.

I am going to expand my antibiotic supply.

I have to buy some anti nausea medication. Besides the very expensive prescription, I did not previously stock up on any.

I need to find a source for IV. Most of the places online require you to get a prescription. I already have the catheters and lines just need the bags. All the bags that I had are long expired.

I have a CPAP. Its going to be a piss poor substitute for Oxygen but its something to push air into you. It will just have to be sanitized before the patient can use it.

Like I mentioned I already have inhalers. VA pretty much gives me an endless supply.

You probably wont have catheters to drain the bladder so you will want to get those waterproof puppy pads to protect the bedding and adult diapers. This will also help for bowel movements. Something else to consider is other medical problems where the patient has uncontrolled diarrhea

You will want lots of gloves, face masks and if you cant find disposable gowns then tyvek coveralls will work. Because of the costs you can re use the coveralls but you will want to sanitize them between uses. Dip them in a bleach solution and Lysol the crap out of them.

I need to stock up on Lysol/Walmart brand disinfectant. The sanitizing wipes are good to have but if you stock up on them they will dry out. I do stock up excessively but I do keep a good supply on hand. As they are used, it then goes on the grocery list.
    Excellent info
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Joe

Materielgeneral, I have to say I'm much impressed with the thought and efforts you have made to take care of your children. You are correct about obtaining some of the things you need. Its almost impossible to get things these days without a prescription. The stomach illnesses your kids had were bacterial infections (most likely) secondary to the virus that created the pneumonia. Most of the people who died in the early 1900's flu epidemic died from the secondary illness that your kids experienced. Hence the importance of IV fluids in your kids care. I am glad to hear you have Proventil on hand as that can make breathing much easier. Be careful with the c-pap. the settings are prescribed for you and not your kids. I would place it on them loosely and just have them breathe it in naturally. If they have been discharged from the hospital they wont need supplemental oxygen at this time anyway. Lucky for you your kids are tough and they will shake this off. Most people who die from pneumonia are the elderly or those who are already have compromised health. Sounds like you are a great dad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Good post. Pneumonia can be deadly.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

multiply that hospital requirement times 100,000s and you see why a pandemic kills so many ...
    MaterielGeneral and RJAMES like this.
    I llini Warrior

MG,,, I hadn't realized how serious your 14 yr old boy's pneumonia was from the 1st thread on the subject. Very scary and my prayers that your kids never have to go through that again. Let us know if you find a good anti-nausea med because I need some for my family "just in case".
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    MG,,, I hadn't realized how serious your 14 yr old boy's pneumonia was from the 1st thread on the subject. Very scary and my prayers that your kids never have to go through that again. Let us know if you find a good anti-nausea med because I need some for my family "just in case".
    Yeah, it was pretty serious. I don't want to say he was on his death bed but it was serious. My wife was pretty much at his side non stop and kept an eye on everything. We live close to 2 hours away from the hospital he was at so I could not visit as much as I wanted and I had to take care of my 12 year old son and get him to school and take care of the house. I basically had it easy. Everything is catching up to my wife now, she is pretty drained and doesn't feel well.

As far as anti nausea medicine, I'm in the same boat. I'm going to have to do some researching and check reviews or what ever. The prescription med works pretty good but very expensive. His prescription at Walmart was around $260. and with CHAMPVA the co pay was like $70.00, anything leftover will defiantly be saved.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

There is a sub-lingual pill the I and family members have used (comes in foil packs in a med bottle) that is prescription only. I can't remember the name but if I can learn the name I'd try to order some from Canadian Pharmacy. Maybe Tired Nurse or others can chime in on this.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

Good info to have. Thanks for the insight.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Glad to hear your sons are getting better. It would get scary without electricity with complicated illnesses. I have 6 different anti biotics in my freezer but no way to push air into the lungs for a prolonged period. Its never crossed my mind till reading your thread.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links