The Cheapest Way to Purchase Firearms
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Cheapest Way to Purchase Firearms within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Firearms can be fantastic tools for home defense, hunting or just as collector’s items, but as anyone who’s ever tried to purchase one can attest, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The Cheapest Way to Purchase Firearms

Administrator

Firearms can be fantastic tools for home defense, hunting or just as collector’s items, but as anyone who’s ever tried to purchase one can attest, they are expensive. Whether you’re looking to go hunting next season or just purchasing a rifle to hang over your fireplace to compliment your décor, here are some of the cheapest and easiest ways to purchase legal firearms.

Firearms Sellers

Official firearms sellers are probably the most expensive option on this list but bear with us – they’re a good choice if you’re looking to purchase a new pistol or rifle.

First, you don’t have to worry about the hassle of finding a federally licensed seller – you’ve got one right in front of you. They’ve got all the tools on hand to run your necessary background check, and many even offer the safety classes that are required in some states for licensing before you can purchase a firearm.

The only drawback for using a classic firearms seller is the price – expect to pay full price for your new handgun or rifle, or even more depending on the individual seller’s markup.

Pawn Shops

Pawn shops are a great option – people sell their old or unused firearms to pawn shops all the time. They are also a great place to find antique firearms or classic models that you might not be able to easily find elsewhere. It’s important to check whether your chosen pawn shop has the proper license to sell firearms. Depending on the state you live in, you may or may not have to pass a background check before completing the pawn shop purchase, but it is important to know the local laws so you can purchase your new firearms legally.

Private Sellers

Not everyone wants to deal with pawn shops and will sell their firearms privately. Check your state laws to see what is required to buy a gun from a private owner. In most cases, someone selling or gifting the occasional firearm doesn’t need to obtain a firearms seller’s license from the federal government. Some states, such as California, have banned the private sale of handguns for example, so check the laws by state. Online purchases of firearms fall under many of the same rules – the main difference is that you cannot have a gun delivered to your home. It has to be delivered to a federally licensed firearms dealer where you can go pick up your purchase.

Build Your Own

If you’re handy, another option is to build your own firearm. You can purchase individual parts and assemble the handgun or rifle on your own. It’s a great way to both customize your own gun and to really learn how the internal components of your new firearm. If you run into a problem with an individual piece of one of your guns, it becomes much easier and much cheaper to fix the problems – no one likes having to shell out a ton of money to take their firearms to a repair shop, after all.

Firearms are an expensive hobby in their own right, but you don’t have to break the bank to find your new favorite.

Name:  scott.png
Views: 240
Size:  2.3 KB

Scott Huntington is a writer from central Pennsylvania. He enjoys working on his home and garden with his wife and 2 kids. Follow him on Twitter @SMHuntington
    bigwheel likes this.

Cheapest way is to get your own FFL. Sure it's a hassle but if your planning on buying a few it's worth it. Reloading supplies, ammo, mags, scopes and accessories all add up. Get a few buddies or a group together and split the cost. Buying wholesale is great.

The mark up on guns isn't what most think. I can't sell guns for much over 10% of cost for profit, if I'm lucky. Really try and live on 10% with over head costs. It's not a license to print money like most assume. The mark up on accessories can be 40-50% and that's how the money is made.

Another tip is watch the Grabagun website. I can't believe some of the deals they come up with. Absolutely blows the wholesalers out of the water. It's not a dealer only site. You can buy, just have it shipped to your FFL. They are one of the reasons it's hard to make money selling guns.
    Cricket, Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Cheapest way is to get your own FFL. Sure it's a hassle but if your planning on buying a few it's worth it. Reloading supplies, ammo, mags, scopes and accessories all add up. Get a few buddies or a group together and split the cost. Buying wholesale is great............
    You cannot use an FFL just to be able to buy guns for yourself.

You can, however, buy a bunch of guns for your buddies, and keep a few to yourself.
    Cricket likes this.
    I lock my doors for your protection. Hidden Content

Feel free to visit my Hidden Content Page.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hock shops are not rational around here. They generally over priced and sell junk.
    SGG, dwight55, Smitty901 and 1 others like this.

Pawn shops in this state are not allowed to buy or sell guns, short or long.

I have an FFL plus SOT, have had for over 55 years, if I want a particular gun I go to the LGS, WHY? because I can get it cheaper there.

He buys in large volume, like 50 each of S&W's models a month, I can't get his discount price, from the wholesalers.

I buy at his cost.

Some guns I get real good buys on, they come in broken, some don't want to pay the cost of repairs and dump them to me.

I don't charge myself for repairs either.

If I feel ambitious I will build my own, and I don't mean from an 80% kit either.

Have made myself some from just a block of steel, bought rifled blanks to use for barrels.

I don't buy and sell anymore, just repair them, have more than I will ever need, except for a 57MM RR.

Kitchen table dealers are a thing of the past here, must meet state requirement before the feds will even consider you.

First requirement, is you have to have a separate building to conduct business in.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-28-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Most pawn shop here are reasonable with gun prices. They are my main source. Last new gun was from Academy when I first moved in my apartment. Gun shows are hit or miss.
    bigwheel likes this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

Academy Sports has been good to us on our last few acquisitions of new guns. Pal got them to match Cabelas on a sale flyer for a 9 MM he was wanting. Cabelas is far off. Adademy is close. Bass pro shop is a joke where somebody forgot the punchline. Hope they dont get Cabelas messed up since they bought em I think.
    Kauboy, Cricket and Oddcaliber like this.

I have bought from pawn shops and retail plus a licensed dealer, even a couple of ex friends. I try to find the best price I can but when it comes down to it, if I want it, I will buy it, even if it's a bit high.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 04-28-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    bigwheel and rice paddy daddy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

If you are experienced in firearms, and know what prices SHOULD be, then pawn shops can sometimes yield bargains. Often they are over priced. It never hurts to make an offer and see if the shop will bargain with you.
    Although I have bought guns from private sellers, I am wary because you just never know if you are buying a stolen gun. It may have gone thru a number of hands, and the seller does not know it's stolen, but I do not want such a thing in my hands. The Florida Dept of Law Enforcement website has a section where you can enter a serial number to see if that gun, boat motor, or whatever has been reported stolen. I will not make a private sale without running the serial.

I most often buy from a licensed gun shop here in my area. At my age, my honor and integrity is worth paying a few extra bucks on a gun.
    Cricket, bigwheel, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    If you are experienced in firearms, and know what prices SHOULD be, then pawn shops can sometimes yield bargains. Often they are over priced. It never hurts to make an offer and see if the shop will bargain with you.
    Although I have bought guns from private sellers, I am wary because you just never know if you are buying a stolen gun. It may have gone thru a number of hands, and the seller does not know it's stolen, but I do not want such a thing in my hands. The Florida Dept of Law Enforcement website has a section where you can enter a serial number to see if that gun, boat motor, or whatever has been reported stolen. I will not make a private sale without running the serial.

I most often buy from a licensed gun shop here in my area. At my age, my honor and integrity is worth paying a few extra bucks on a gun.
    I used to work with an old boy who knew how to do NCIC stolen inquiries using a training format on the teletype. Thataway if you was trying to buy a gun of questionable heritage you could run in through there and if it come up something amiss..it did not set off any alarms. Just rookie training which happen to hit a live one. That came in real handy.
    rice paddy daddy and SOCOM42 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links