Liberal vs. Conservative Preppers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Liberal vs. Conservative Preppers within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Just playing the devil's advocate here for a moment, in terms of being prepared, is there really a difference between a liberal prepper and a ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Liberal vs. Conservative Preppers

Administrator

Just playing the devil's advocate here for a moment, in terms of being prepared, is there really a difference between a liberal prepper and a conservative one?

Doesn't it really come down to being prepared for whatever might happen, no matter who you are?

"Unhappy with the results of the 2016 presidential election, a certain cohort of Americans have taken up "prepping" for fear a Trump presidency might bring about some kind of apocalypse." Liberal Preppers Continue to Ready for Trump Apocalypse
    What role does political affiliation play in the decision to be prepared?

This is a sincere question, so play nice!
    bigwheel and MisterMills357 like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Super Moderator

You don't mind opening up a large can of worms, are you?
    Cricket, Maol9, A Watchman and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

The reasons are different, but the result is the same.

Under Obama, I came to expect that a monetary collapse could be imminent. If we don't get out from under the impending debt crisis, it still is.
    With his policies, it was a fast track and that caused me to get into gear preparing for it.
    I can see why libs could be doing the same thing with Trump.
    However, where my concern was founded in actual policy problems that governments of history have suffered and fell under, theirs is entirely based in fear of what they don't understand.
    Cricket, Sasquatch, Gunn and 2 others like this.
    Semper paratus!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here is my $.02 on the whole "political affiliation" thing for prepping...

It SHOULD have absolutely zero bearing - the whole concept of preparedness is pretty neutral as far as things go, it's just an action that you do - you are getting ready or having contingencies in place for any sort of negative scenario or situation you can envision, or you are just getting ready for a day at work, or packing the cooler for the day at the Beach.

It seems the contemporary (Post-9/11) idea of prepping is hearkening back to the M.A.D days of "survivalists/pioneers" and I mean that prepping is seen with negative connotations, that it involves getting ready for an apocalypse/WROL - which I think the entire prepping community is at fault for that, we let the narrative get pushed, which is fine in a way, but then when we drag Identity Politics or Gender/Race/Whatever into the equation - that is when the shades of gray start and where the negativity surrounding "liberal preppers" comes into play.

An example of that is you like at this forum, or SB or other gun boards like GlockTalk, SigForums or anywhere else where prepping comes up as a topic, and it is always having to do with having beans/bullets/bandaids/water - the assumption is automatically you better be MIL/LE or a hard MOFO to get ready, and there is no way that liberals can hack it because they're all lily-assed snowflakes.

I don't agree with that assessment - Identity Politics are what 21st Century American Democrats (AKA Communists) are playing - it's a psycho-social technique, and a form of segregation and prejudice, it is how they strong-arm the public into voting their way. They paint us all as "bitter clingers" and we paint them all as "snowflakes" but is there really anything wrong with someone wanting to prepare for a hurricane? Get vaccinated? Have an emergency bag in their vehicle? Does voting Red or Blue affect the way you can learn a skill? Work on an engine? Shoot a gun or plant some fruits?

As a niche community, I think that we should not be so off putting because of the way someone votes, we can all suffer from cognitive dissonance and from confirmation bias - by doing so we are letting the crooked politicians and phonies win an easy victory over us by generating second-hand hostilities/divisiveness - shit, you can't go on social media or a board where a disagreement in philosophy/viewpoint doesn't turn into a name-calling childish exchange.

That's my opinion on that matter, prepping is a universal activity and we shouldn't care who does it, or why, we should be happy that they are trying to be proactive regardless of the reason that they want to be.
    Cricket, Redneck, LoneWolf and 3 others like this.

Any rational human should be scared of the actions of any politician... they are not normal, sane human beings. These folks that make decisions scare me into continually prepping, no matter what side of the aisle they prefer. I don't like any of them, including our current batch running things. IMO, political affiliation should have no bearing on being a prepper. That being said, I think conservatives as a group are more wary of government and more likely to fear it... as opposed to trusting it to be the answer for all issues.
    Slippy, RJAMES, sideKahr and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator

No politician can conjure a hurricane, tornado, earthquake or flood. Be prepared for those things and chances are good you'll stand a chance with any mess the politicians make.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.
    RJAMES likes this.
    I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Hidden Content

I think there is a HUGE difference. Were talking about two entirely different worldviews.
    Maol9 and A Watchman like this.

My take is they're worried about his questionable mental stability, maverick style, propensity to kick hornets nests and generally getting us nuked. Hell, I voted for the crazy prick and have had the same things cross my mind. It's always good to be ready for a rainy day. At least with him in office - bullets, beans and bandages are readily available.

What difference does it make if the libs will start taking care of themselves. I think it's a good thing.

Will put less stress on me without them knocking on the door begging for help. Once the SHTF for whatever reason.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    What difference does it make if the libs will start taking care of themselves. I think it's a good thing.

Will put less stress on me without them knocking on the door begging for help. Once the SHTF for whatever reason.
    Oh they'll still ask. It's in their nature. They'll want to divide your stuff and give it to those who didn't bother to prepare.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.
    Maol9, A Watchman and Prepared One like this.
    I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links