Misconceptions About Preppers - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Misconceptions About Preppers

This is a discussion on Misconceptions About Preppers within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Prepared One Say the word prepper to the average sheeple and their immediate thought is: Attachment 40041 They think we want the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Misconceptions About Preppers

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Say the word prepper to the average sheeple and their immediate thought is:

Attachment 40041

They think we want the world to end so we can play army and get to use all our toys, or that we are delusional bastards cowering in our basements, among our stored food, clutching a bible and guns. ( TV ) They have no clue and I don't even try to enlighten most but for the very special few. Their misconceptions are their folly and not my problem.
    You know that may not be such a bad thing. I mean it might keep them away.
    Prepared One likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Most reality TV shows (of any kind) don't tend to be the norm. As someone mentioned earlier, "normal" doesn't make for good TV.

In my humble opinion, trying to determine if "certain types of people" are more likely to be preppers is kind of like trying to determine if "certain types of people" are more likely to hikers, crafters, hunters, woodworkers, musicians, city folks, or country folks. People just are what they are. Some folks choose to prep, while others do not.

I think it has always been that way. Many of our grandparents were preppers, except back then it was simply called "being prepared" for a rainy day. Maybe in today's word people have come to "expect" that someone (the government?) will be there to rescue them in bad times. Maybe that is why many have forgotten (if they were ever taught) the need to stockpile supplies (and skills) for rough times.

I define prepping as being prepared for whatever may come our way...
    Psst ... Listen up people, If it has the wording "reality" in front of it, it isn't reality. Reality doesn't have a camera and a script, duh?
    Cricket, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I really hate the word "Prepper".

I prefer "Striving to be as Self Sufficient as Possible". Its a freakin journey with the destination never reached.

Thanks for listening...
    ^^^^ Now this guy ^^^^ He's has this preparedness and sufficiency thing down pat and in the right perspective. Follow his lead.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Define prepping

I define it as doing the best you can with what you have to be ready:
    To take care of yourself and family should events disrupt normal life.
    To do the best you can not to use up needed resources that maybe need for others . Be responsible in a world full of those that are not.
    To use those skill and assets to help others that suffer or are at risk when events disrupt normal life.
    To improve those skills and asset as you go, learning what the next step is and finding away to get there.
    To do this while still carrying on a normal day to day life as if the world will always be just fine.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I think most people that are defined as a prepper are very logical, read a lot & ask many questions. Believe that the more they know realize that they don't know enough & are basically just nice people with big hearts. It's just a way of life & I was prepping before the it became a common term. I have always been the mindset of doing just about everything myself if possible . I now have tools & equipment to do just about anything & the knowledge to do it & will be perfectly at home if a disaster should happen.

One I've had thrown at me on other message boards is, "I would hate to live my life in fear like you do".

What they don't understand is with survivalism it's just the opposite.
    A Watchman, inceptor and SOCOM42 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.Ripley View Post
    One I've had thrown at me on other message boards is, "I would hate to live my life in fear like you do".

What they don't understand is with survivalism it's just the opposite.

Exactly so! Being prepared allows you to meet the challenge, be it a matter of survival or life's little daily challenges, head on. You acknowledge the fear and overcome it, rather then sticking your head in the sand and refusing to see. I don't live in fear, I live in confidence because I am prepared.
    inceptor, A Watchman and SOCOM42 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I was thinking... to a certain degree, it will help come SHTF that people think we are all like Slippy - I mean crazy nuts that are just on the edge of climbing up on a tall tower with a high powered rifle with a scope and 4 days supply of water and MRE's
    A Watchman likes this.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Exactly so! Being prepared allows you to meet the challenge, be it a matter of survival or life's little daily challenges, head on. You acknowledge the fear and overcome it, rather then sticking your head in the sand and refusing to see. I don't live in fear, I live in confidence because I am prepared.

^^^^^ THIS! Thanks neighbor.
    Prepared One likes this.

I agree with just about everything that's been said. Most people hear 'prepper' and think of the handful of genuinely crazed people living in a bunker waiting for Mad Max or "Commie bombs to fall" - remember kids: "reality TV" isn't.
    To me, a prepper is someone who logically asks what events can impact them and how they will get through those and the aftermath. The most basic prepper is someone who has no reason to panic when the power goes out in a storm, doesn't worry about being thirsty or cold in a traffic jam, and won't lose absolutely everything in a house fire.
    Last edited by Flabbergasted; 03-21-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links