Could You Live Off The Grid?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Could You Live Off The Grid? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Could you live an off the grid, self-sufficient lifestyle? Do you have the skills to do so? Would you want to?...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Could You Live Off The Grid?

Administrator

Could you live an off the grid, self-sufficient lifestyle? Do you have the skills to do so?

Would you want to?
    bigwheel likes this.

Let's define Grid here, I produce all my own electricity, and some food. Is that off the grid? I still buy most food and all clothes. Does grid mean to lectricity? Or ALL goods,services and utilities?
    TG likes this.

I have some skills and being off grid would force me to learn others quickly. I would prefer not to have to find out.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I believe I could but I don't want to. I enjoy modern conveniences too much. I'd be good living that way if town was 30 minutes or so away and I could easily get things I may need. But if push came to shove I could live that way.
    I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Hidden Content

A very good question, growing up on a farm in the 50s and 60s we were somewhat self sufficient, we had electricity for the most part but it wasn't very reliable, we raised our own meat, grew and home canned vegetables, had wood heat, an outdoor toilet, windmill for pumping water, farmed with horses for awhile, it was a different world then, being able to do it now? Maybe not as comfortably as then because I don't have the same resources available today as we did years ago, though people can become very resourceful when confronted with challenges, I can't give a yes or no answer.
    Slippy, OrneryOldBat and sideKahr like this.

Yes we could. It would be our first choice but if we had to we could. In our consideration of what if's. It was clear that in Total SHTF we had better be ready to live with out power. Generators will only buy you time. The family that settled this farm did it. Winter will be both a blessing and a curse . It will keep others way but will require a lot of work. I have gotten use to gas heat.
    Cricket likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Yes. Not my desire to do so permanently. But even off grid usually means there is a form of trade system for acquiring what you can't produce.
    I was off grid tonight for a while. I made it without need of therapy. It was a rough couple of hours, but I pulled through.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

Could yes.

Want to no, prefer a life of urban luxury, and to not have to work just for necessities but the extras in life.

Like Jim said in post 2, define off the grid. My kids would define off grid meaning no internet, microwaves, or long hot showers.

definition for this discussion: off the grid for 2 years with no outside power sources such as electricity, gasoline (liquid fuels) and outside 1 mile (immediate neighbors) any other needs like food or basic medical. And for those in an urban environment keep in mind that the more neighbors the more potential threats and threats means less chance of survival. For older and sick people you must have someone close by who would cut and split wood for heat and cooking and in hot climates the ability to power a cooling fan.
    stowlin likes this.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperForums View Post
    Could you live an off the grid, self-sufficient lifestyle? Do you have the skills to do so?
    - Yes. Pretty well, actually.

Would you want to?
    - As opposed to what? Getting-by without cornucopian support would certainly be preferable to dying or being driven into the Fedghetto, at least to us.

- But we do admittedly enjoy some of the benefits of the grid, and will do so until it is no longer available/ affordable.

I may be gettin' older,
    But I've been fightin' dirtier, longer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links