Winter Weather Survival Tips
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Winter Weather Survival Tips within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; It seems like every winter we hear stories about winter weather rescues . People turn down the wrong road, or simply get caught in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Winter Weather Survival Tips

Administrator

It seems like every winter we hear stories about winter weather rescues . People turn down the wrong road, or simply get caught in a bad storm and their vehicle gets stuck.

Sometimes people get lucky and they are found in a timely manner and are rescued. Other times people aren't so lucky and a simple day hiking trip turns into disaster.

How do you prepare for winter weather emergencies away from home? What tips do you have for others?

Super Moderator

A very important topic.

Many years ago, I drove trucks for the dollar. Early one morning, my truck came to a halt in sub-zero conditions in Indiana. Dressed in a t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes, I struck out for a restaurant that was to miles away.
    This Southern boy learned some valuable lessons. Main lesson is assume Murphy is always riding with you.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Administrator

Although this family was rescued, just before Christmas, it could have gone so differently.

With her husband, Eric, by her side, the 46-year-old mother said it all began last Thursday afternoon, reports CBS News correspondent John Blackstone. The family of three, including their 10-year-old son, was on vacation, making their first trip to the Grand Canyon. “So we set out that morning, not realizing what lay ahead … that the major roads were closed and impassable,” Karen recounted. They say their GPS put them on an alternate route that seemed promising. “The road was paved and then it became a nicely maintained dirt road and then it became a little more harried. … And we were thinking, well, this must take us to … the north rim, but unfortunately that did not happen, as the car got stuck in the mud,” Karen said. Pennsylvania family rescued at Grand Canyon tell harrowing story of survival - CBS News
    It's hard to understand why anyone would take a trip (especially with a child) without at least basic emergency supplies...
    Denton, RJAMES and beach23bum like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hard to understand, yes. But people do it all the time. My stepkids are guilty. Can I convince them? Of course not. I'm paranoid. Nothing bad will happen.
    Some people bounce through life like it's a Disney movie, until they dont.
    beach23bum and Michael_Js like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

Super Moderator

Here are some things I learned.
    Anti-gelling agents are not bullet proof. The water trapped in the fuel filters was more than it could displace, causing the truck to roll to a stop. Lesson is don't rely on lotions, potions and other truck stop answers. Also, don't expect machinery to work without flaw, no matter how well you maintain it.

No trip is too short for things to go haywire. That being the case, prepare for plans to fall apart.

Have fresh water. Don't leave it in the vehicle, unless you prefer to chew on ice instead of drinking water. Take it with you when you leave the vehicle so it'll stay in a liquid state. Hydration is as important in cold weather situations as it is in hot weather.

You'll be needing calories, so having energy bars or even chocolate bars will give you energy when you start shivering or need to hike a couple miles.

You know those space blankets? They are inexpensive, and they work! So are watch caps, and you don't want your noggin allowing heat to escape.

Flares will let others know you need assistance, and they'll help others not plow into your disabled vehicle.

I'm sure I have forgotten some things, but I am equally sure there are people who live in cold weather conditions who will help a Southern boy!
    Cricket, TG, Prepared One and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

During my weekly sojourn back and forth to the soul crusher during the winter months I carry what I need to camp out in the snow overnight. Due to the fact I thought I was going to do exactly that one time. What I thought may have been overkill on what I carried turned out to be slightly more than the minimum to change survival to minimal comfort.
    Denton, Cricket and RJAMES like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)

The Russians did it!

I helped recover some bodies after the blizzard of 78. Convinced the hell out of me. Always leave a coat, hat, gloves and hiking boots with socks in the vehicle in winter. Granola and candy bars. Now days it is a BOB/ backpack set up for a 7 days, hiking boots, along with a stove, tent, winches, pioneer tools, first aid kit.

To get ready for winter I do maintenance on the vehicles- put the batteries on a deep charge, check all fluids, change filters, rotate tires. Put the tire chains in along with a coat, hat, gloves.
    Cricket, Prepared One and Denton like this.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Although this family was rescued, just before Christmas, it could have gone so differently.

It's hard to understand why anyone would take a trip (especially with a child) without at least basic emergency supplies...
    2 reasons:
    1. Bad things happen to other people, not to me.
    2. I can always rely on someone to take care of things when I need it.

For 3 1/2 years I had my own business in rural Colorado. One of the first things you learn in winter conditions is you NEVER go anywhere without an emergency kit.

The one simple thing is be aware of the weather and treat it with respect. I bet 95% of the problems would be avoided if people would just watch the weather forecast before leaving. Make the smart choice and not go or stay put. Being late, missing a appointment or day of work isn't worth your life, let alone the families.
    Denton and Grinch2 like this.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    During my weekly sojourn back and forth to the soul crusher during the winter months I carry what I need to camp out in the snow overnight. Due to the fact I thought I was going to do exactly that one time. What I thought may have been overkill on what I carried turned out to be slightly more than the minimum to change survival to minimal comfort.
    Coatie dad Dont feel bad my kids have always been the same way. I have told them for years when driving in the winter dress as if you would have to walk. I always have extra clothes and Carhart overalls in the back of the car for an extra layer. In Ohio the weather can be nasty and the wind can go right through your bones.
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links