Should You Learn Multiple Food Preservation Techniques
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Should You Learn Multiple Food Preservation Techniques within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Should you learn (and use) more than one food preservation technique? Why? Why not? Which techniques do you feel are most effective?...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Should You Learn Multiple Food Preservation Techniques

Administrator

Should you learn (and use) more than one food preservation technique? Why? Why not?

Which techniques do you feel are most effective?
    OakOwl likes this.

The way was raised , we freeze our food , canning . I have spent many hours on the porch with a pairing knife with bushels of tomatoes and a tub off boiled water , blanching them then pealing them . My Grandmother would have two very large pot on the stove , one with water , ones with the tomatoes cooking down to be put in mason jars for canning . She would make her own jelly , pickles " mmmmmm" , we even did corn , some on the cobb , some off the cobb . I have to say those times were very hard work for a 10 y/o starting out doing , but as I think of it today I am very happy I did get to help and learn how to do it . I could write a few hours on the way she did things to save food for us , but this is just a very few things I learned .
    Annie, Slippy, Kat404 and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

My interest in canning has surfaced again. Been a very long time since I and my mother did any canning.
    Downloaded an 8 part USDA on canning to start studying. Looking buy the pressure canner around end of
    year. I'm hoping I can find something of a sale. I watch Goodwill auction site daily for preps.
    Annie likes this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Learning multiple food preservation techniques is well worth it. I don't want to put all my chickens into one basket. I hope to learn all I can in this regard. “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Who knows what the future holds? Glass can beak if there's an earthquake, so there go my mason jars. Rodents can get into the 5 gallon buckets and mylar bags, so there goes that.

I dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I can meat. In addition, I've used mylar bags for rice, grains and pasta. I've also canned oatmeal, beans and rice. Hubs cans vegetables. In most instances packaging ourselves saves us money.

*So* Next I'd like to learn to make beef jerky for bugging out. Any help in how to dehydrate meat would be greatly appreciated.
    Sonya, Grinch2 and Prepared One like this.
    "I shall die with weapons in my hands."
    -St Therese of Lisieux

Yes. canning has been away of life here passed down over generation. Root cellars, big here.
    Sonya likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Canning, freezing, dehydrating either using electricity or sunshine, curing with smoke or salt, storing dry with oxygen absorber, changing ph to increase storage time, pickling, freeze drying (which is related to dehydrating)
    I have the ability and some supplies to do all but the last, even if the power grid went down. Someday I hope to put a root cellar in the hill close to the house.
    Last edited by John Galt; 12-08-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

I got my cellar, . . . we can meat, veggies, and some other stuff.

Also got two freezers pretty much full right now.

Also do a bit of drying, . . . but not as much as I would like to do.

Would love to try making venison jerky like our Native American ancestors did it. Probably not as tasty as some other I have made, . . . but like castor oil, . . . ya don't have to like it for it to be good for ya.

Canning meat in a pressure canner is probably the easiest lesson anyone can get. Cut all the big visible fat off the meat, . . . de-bone, . . . cut into thumb or forefinger sized pieces, . . . stuff into sanitized jars, . . . stop 1 inch from the top, . . . DO NOT ADD ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR TASTE 1/2 TEASPOON OF SALT PER PINT.

Put on the lids and rings, . . . into the pressure canner at 10/11 pounds for 75 minutes (pints) and 90 minutes (quarts). Once they are cool, . . . check the center of the lid for seal, . . . and you are done.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Prepared One and Cricket like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

My fiance absolutely adores my grandmother which is just fantastic for me, she loved my mother who passed this year, they were always swapping recipes and talking about various food preparations. My grandmother is tough as galvanized nails and then some, she grew up in the early 30's where you got every ounce from everything you either grew, raised or killed. She taught not only my father, but also myself and my fiance how to can, she's always canning. When I was a younger man ( about 13 ) my father got out this can of deer meat, he warmed it up for me and served it, I of course dug right in. After I finished he told me it was fifty years old, now this did disgust me to no end which is why even to this day I am weary of canned meats. But my grandmother has shown my fiance and me how do everything from smoking meats to preserve them to using a dehydrator even using salt. They pickle things together the whole 9 yards.

But one thing I want to caution every beginning prepper ( or even a seasoned prepper ) who might be new to food preservation, understand what you are doing, instead of worrying about 16 different ways focus on one first, perfect it, understand it then move on. Don't try to take on every way imaginable at once, because like my ol man always says " Gotta learn how ta shoot fore ya can worry bout how ta gut em ". I know some locals around who might be one might say " careless " with their food preservation. A guy just here a few months ago tried to make deer jerky and he did not dehydrate it long enough and the inside was still pink, he got very sick from this.

Wild game is something you should know a thing or two before tackling, if you're in the city and have only seen a deer when you go on vacation or something chances are good unless you work in a butcher shop or something along the lines of knowing the cuts, you're gonna mess up. One of my all time favorite meats is beaver, but if you're not careful with sanitation and cross contamination and all of that malarky it can screw you up really quick. With beavers for example after you skin them out if you spray them down you can easily get Ge-ardia or however you spell it dangerously easy, organs are even more of an item you have to be careful with. Typically you want to avoid scavengers at all costs, however you can still eat them you just have to use caution.

As of now we don't use mylar bags and all of that, it's a good idea a fantastic one actually, but not in our immediate future. We can, pickle, salt, dehydrate and freeze. But a lot can be said about a good root cellar. But overall I find it highly irrational not to use different methods of preservation methods/techniques, walk before you run, learn to shoot before you worry about gutting. Get a decent understanding of one method before going to the next- your other group members will appreciate it when they're not puking their guts out all because you decided to speed through Canning 101. And as anything too if you don't know something; ask. Because a good person knows their limitations and will ask for help, this does not show weakness nor stupidity, it shows strength and intelligence.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

“Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

This is an area that I have only just begun to explore along with gardening. I do a lot of beans, rice, instant potatoes, etc. in Mylar and then buckets and have a stocked freezer for short term, but only recently got into canning and dehydrating. Still feeling my way along but picking up speed. Particularly this coming year. The wife is familiar with caning from when she was a kid so that will help. With sufficient stores for the short term I am looking more and more towards long term sustainability. Although living where I do I have limits on what I can grow. So caning, dehydrating, etc. can expand my options longer term. It's evolving and I am learning.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 12-09-2016 at 04:16 PM.
    Sonya and Cricket like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The only one I have learned so far is dehydrating. I love it, especially for vegetables. IMO canned vegetables are pretty darn awful, plus all of the C is cooked out of them whereas dehydrated is nearly the same as fresh. If I had to live off preps for months I could deal with canned meat, but having to eat canned vegetables too would be disgusting and far to "processed" for a daily diet.

Want to learn canning next, and did buy a small pressure cooker/canner for meats, but I can't imagine using it to can green beans and the like when dehydrating is so much better.

In my locale I don't think dehydrating would be feasible without power, other than short term jerky or whatever. The historic methods were salting, root cellars and then canning in more recent years.
    Last edited by Sonya; 12-09-2016 at 06:38 AM.
    Prepared One and Annie like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links